The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Canada v. USA

I was wondering, if they are playing by ISF rules, why are the umpires wearing ASA stuff? (Not completely official, since the shirts are pink due to breast cancer awareness.)

I was also wondering by those of you who know, is it true that under ISF FP rules you don't have to throw 4 pitches to issue a walk? If this is true, and not just a snafu on the talking heads part, doesn't it put the offense at a disadvantage since it basically prevents the chance to steal?

Also, did you see the IP that the PU called in the 3 inning? It looked to me, both on the initial pitch and the replay that the pitcher did pause before separating her hands. (Of course the TH's said something like "she needs to let the umpire know that she is going to do her pause before she takes her signal.")

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the IP on Abbott in the 1st inning was interesting. They were trying to say it had to do with a pause but it was clearly that she did not have contact with the pitchers plate.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi

I was also wondering by those of you who know, is it true that under ISF FP rules you don't have to throw 4 pitches to issue a walk? If this is true, and not just a snafu on the talking heads part, doesn't it put the offense at a disadvantage since it basically prevents the chance to steal?
Yes, in ISF a pitcher simply need announce to the plate umpire their intention to walk the batter and the umpire awards the batter first base.

Quote:
Also, did you see the IP that the PU called in the 3 inning? It looked to me, both on the initial pitch and the replay that the pitcher did pause before separating her hands. (Of course the TH's said something like "she needs to let the umpire know that she is going to do her pause before she takes her signal.")
Abbott has been illegal all year and it is so obvious, I fail to see why there has been no move to correct it.
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

I watched part of that game and was wondering where you can purchase one of those pink ASA umpire shirts. I'm sure our state UIC would allow us to wear them.

BTW, who was the PU? I wasn't impressed with her positioning. How could she possibly see the outside corner on a left-handed batter?
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

Here in Europe we play mostly unders ESF-rules, which are the same as ISF. At the clinics we get the ISF rulebook, which we have to use...

For an "Intentional walk" the pitcher has to announce, however mostly it is the coach who informs the catcher. Who has to tell the pitcher, who will tell the PU. So to speed up, we allow the coach and the catcher also to announce the Intenional.
At that point, call dead ball/time out and give the batter first base. Only runners advance if forced...
Don't forget to inform the official scorer!

For the umpire uniform: I don't think the game was under the ISF-flag. You can play by it rule-set, but the ISF sure didn't call the umpires to work this game. It's a friendly/practice game, not one in a ISF-tournament (such as Olympics or WorldChampionship). So the umpires can wear what they want...
Tomorrow (Sunday) Paddy and I will work a game between the Dutch Olympic-team against a Dutch Allstar team. Not under the ESF-flag, playing by the ISF-rules set, but we will wear our dutch uniform. But we can also chose to wear our ESF-uniform...

About Abbott's IP. I don't know, never saw her pitch. However before separating the hands F1 has to stand still for 2-5 sec's. The IP can be for violatiing this rule, not the full 2 sec's... So that would be a quick-pitch. I see that a lot with USA-pitcher who come over to Holland. The first view weeks you have to call IP frequently on them, after that they know an adjust...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
About Abbott's IP. I don't know, never saw her pitch. However before separating the hands F1 has to stand still for 2-5 sec's. The IP can be for violatiing this rule, not the full 2 sec's... So that would be a quick-pitch. I see that a lot with USA-pitcher who come over to Holland. The first view weeks you have to call IP frequently on them, after that they know an adjust...
That may be what it was, then. I thought that the pause just had to be one second mininmum as in most rule sets here in the states.

Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
I watched part of that game and was wondering where you can purchase one of those pink ASA umpire shirts. I'm sure our state UIC would allow us to wear them.

BTW, who was the PU? I wasn't impressed with her positioning. How could she possibly see the outside corner on a left-handed batter?
Its always nice when umpires are part of the show. I think its fine for the players to do the auction thing. THe umpires should not have been made part of it.

And the PU's zone was pretty laughable .. and ever changing.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Its always nice when umpires are part of the show. I think its fine for the players to do the auction thing. THe umpires should not have been made part of it.

She was there...we wern't!!!!

Easy for you to be critical!!
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem

I only watched a couple of innings, but I didn't see anything wrong with it while I was watching. What are you referring to?

Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
They mentioned ISF rules a few times, so apparently it was under ISF. After all, two nations.
Was MS correct about the safety base in ISF, colored portion can't be used returning to the base after an overrun?
What about having to use it on any ball hit in the infield, rather than just when there is a play at 1st?
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT
I thought the IP on Abbott in the 1st inning was interesting. They were trying to say it had to do with a pause but it was clearly that she did not have contact with the pitchers plate.
That's what MS said (she did not have contact ), but I have a problem with calling a repeated violation only once.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I only watched a couple of innings, but I didn't see anything wrong with it while I was watching.
Lots of bordeline pitches, but I wasn't watching from the west.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalumps
She was there...we wern't!!!!

Easy for you to be critical!!
Perception is 99% on televised games.

People watching it know.

Do we want credibility as a sport and as officials of a sport?

Or do we want people in pink with apparently roving strikes zones? As a fan of the sport watching it.. she was not consistent IMO. I think she squeezed at certain times in the game, situationally.

At least she equally pissed off both coaches.. so that was consistent.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was wondering, if they are playing by ISF rules, why are the umpires wearing ASA stuff?
I wondered that , too.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
They mentioned ISF rules a few times, so apparently it was under ISF. After all, two nations.
Was MS correct about the safety base in ISF, colored portion can't be used returning to the base after an overrun?
What about having to use it on any ball hit in the infield, rather than just when there is a play at 1st?
ISF Rule on Use of the Double Base:

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY TO THE DOUBLE BASE:

a) A batted ball hitting the fair portion is declared fair, and a batted ball hitting the foul portion only is declared foul.

b) If a play is made at first base on any batted ball, or (FP ONLY) the batter runs on a dropped third strike, and the batter-runner touches only the fair portion, and if the defense appeals prior to the batter-runner returning to first base, the batter-runner is out.

NOTE: This is treated the same as missing the base.

c) A defensive player must use only the fair portion of the base at all times.

EXCEPTION: On any live ball play made from first base foul territory, the batter-runner and the defensive player may use either base. When the defensive player uses the foul portion of the double base, the batter-runner can run in fair territory and if hit by a throw from the foul side of first base, it would not be interference. If intentional interference is ruled, the batter-runner would be out.

NOTE: The one meter line is doubled on throws from foul territory.

d) After over-running the base, the batter-runner must return to the fair portion.

e) On balls hit to the outfield when there is no play being made at the double base, the batter-runner may touch either portion of the base.

f) When tagging up on a fly ball, the fair portion must be used.

g) On an attempted pick-off play (FP ONLY) the runner must return to the fair portion.

h) Once a runner returns to the fair portion, should he stand on the foul portion only, it is considered not in contact with the base and the runner shall be called out, if 1) He is tagged with the ball, or 2) He leads off from the foul portion on a pitched ball.

NOTE: The double base must be used in ISF World Championship play.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Jul 06, 2008 at 09:30am.