Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Retaining Younger Umpires

From a previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
These days, the average umpire only calls games for 3 years. A lot of rookies come and go, and it's a strange feeling when I'm only 30, yet I have more seniority than most of our crew.

Some of the problems we're facing have a lot to do with the turnover, but I think that's partially due to the lack of training most new umpires receive. I've seen rookie umpires calling higher-level games, mostly due to the fact that it's becoming increasingly harder for us to find willing participants. There are some areas that do a wonderful job of training their umpires, and I commend them for recognizing that training is a worthy investment. I encourage all organizers to spend as much training time as possible with everyone in their crew, newer and older umpires alike. The more training we offer our crews, the better-equipped they will be in order to handle complicated situations.
We have trouble retaining rookies as well. Some has to do with lack of training, which we are in the process of fixing.

However, I believe the biggest set back to keeping rookies is the high price of start up costs. How much does it cost to get all the gear your first year, I have estimated it between $500-$600 to get started. Hard for a 16-21 year old to come up with that kind of cash, let alone anyone!!

My question:

What do some of your associations do to help train/recruit/retain the younger umpires.

I am the President of our new association and looking for ideas.

Thanks
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

I think that part of the problem is that we do all of the training at the beginning of the spring season, then turn umpires loose with absolutely no follow-up. I've never, ever been officially evaluated except at tourneys, so without any constructive feedback, I only have my own motivation pushing me. The more constructive feedback you give a crew, the more likely you are to keep them motivated (or at least weed out the bad apples).

Communication is also key. If there's no dialogue with the crew, there's nothing keeping them focused. Use email mailing lists to send out newsletters to the crew. Give them "plays of the week" with a question about a play, then your message to the crew, then the answer to the question at the end of the email.

Here in NC, we have the spring season, a 6-8 week break, then the fall season. Both seasons have an equal number of teams, so there's plenty of ball to go around. However, we don't have any meetings during that break. I personally think that's the perfect time to regroup, hold a brief clinic, then send the crew back out.

The more attention you devote to your crew, the more involved they will become. While it's not their full-time job to be umpires, if you look after your crew as a full-time supervisor would to his/her own employees, you'll see results. If week after week, our bosses sent us out to get fried, we'd have less incentive to stay. If you show that you will invest in them, back them up and give them the tools they need, they'll be more likely to stick around.

As for the uniforms, that's a tough one. You could set up some sort of "loan" for them and allow them to deduct it out of their pay, but that's also a risk for you if they decide to bail after 5 assignments. Maybe go 50/50? I don't know. Probably a terrible idea, but I'll gladly open the floor to anyone who has a better one!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
However, I believe the biggest set back to keeping rookies is the high price of start up costs. How much does it cost to get all the gear your first year, I have estimated it between $500-$600 to get started. Hard for a 16-21 year old to come up with that kind of cash, let alone anyone!!
I will usually buy some new piece of equipment every year, and I generally have a 'newer' umpire willing to take my old piece of equipment off my hands. Saves them money, and gets the old equipment out of the house.

Obviously there are some pieces of equipment that can't be shared, and those will have to be covered by someone. A loan system could be set up. I do know that our association runs a balance to cover accounts receivable that have to be written off. We could certainly float a loan for new umpires to get them started.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
I will usually buy some new piece of equipment every year, and I generally have a 'newer' umpire willing to take my old piece of equipment off my hands. Saves them money, and gets the old equipment out of the house.
Excellent idea. That does help the newer umpires get the proper equipment they need when the vets decide to "trade up" to something else. Sometimes, I've given away older indicators or brushes to newer umpires, especially when they show up without one (or sometimes both).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Obviously there are some pieces of equipment that can't be shared, and those will have to be covered by someone. A loan system could be set up. I do know that our association runs a balance to cover accounts receivable that have to be written off. We could certainly float a loan for new umpires to get them started.
The only hitch with these loans is the problem the "lender" would face if the ump decided that umpiring just isn't for them after a short time. You wouldn't want to send that umpire to collections, but if you're going to invest money into getting them equipment, you'll need some guarantee that you'll get your money back.

I only call SP, and I added up all of the equipment I was wearing tonight. The total came to $280 for just one uniform. Granted, some equipment is used for multiple nights (shoes, sunglasses, ball bag, cap, belt, etc.), but that's still a good chunk of change for just one uniform. A new umpire would probably have troubles coming up with that kind of money before calling a single game.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I estimate I paid $200 for gear as I was preparing work my 1st fastpitch season. Granted, I used only the basic, necessary and essential items with thoughts of acquiring everything else prior to season 2 or 3. And that I did.

Some equipment stores sell a starter package and the many that I have seen advertised are ussually less than $150 and provide everything a new umpire needs.

I've been thinking of creating a "Equipment Swap Sheet" for my HS organization where all umpires can list an item or two that they'd wish to sell (discounted) or give to new officials.

As for recruiting & retaining younger umpires....
We're not very sucessfull and our strategies to recruit are basically non-existent.
However, I believe targeting players or former players to think about umpiring as a summer job is a start especially if an organization has very few female umpires as is our case.
Anyone recruit players or former players?

Last edited by NYBLUE; Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 11:11pm.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Lack of schooling - You can sit at a table with an newbie and cover rules until hell freezes over, but the mechanics are half the issue.

Too many areas have given up on schools. Every umpire that has returned from a national school in the last 6 years has complained that it was hard for them to learn anything due to the instructor's need to tone it down and cover issues that should have been handled locally.

You have state/metro associations using national schools as their own private school for inexperienced umpires. In the recent ADVANCED ASA Slow Pitch Camp in Cincinatti, there were umpires who have not been to a school and one umpire who was a newbie. AT AN ADVANCED CAMP! Allowing this to happen does no one any favors. The newbie struggles to stay with the rest and the experienced feel held back waiting for the instructors to move beyond Umpiring 101.

How in the name of Merle Butler can an umpire get any valuable training if the school must be dummied down for those who haven't a clue?

Yes, I've gone beyond the scope of the thread, but training is a continuing process that, in spite of the belief of most veteran umpires, should never end.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Lack of schooling - You can sit at a table with an newbie and cover rules until hell freezes over, but the mechanics are half the issue.

Too many areas have given up on schools. Every umpire that has returned from a national school in the last 6 years has complained that it was hard for them to learn anything due to the instructor's need to tone it down and cover issues that should have been handled locally.

You have state/metro associations using national schools as their own private school for inexperienced umpires. In the recent ADVANCED ASA Slow Pitch Camp in Cincinatti, there were umpires who have not been to a school and one umpire who was a newbie. AT AN ADVANCED CAMP! Allowing this to happen does no one any favors. The newbie struggles to stay with the rest and the experienced feel held back waiting for the instructors to move beyond Umpiring 101.

How in the name of Merle Butler can an umpire get any valuable training if the school must be dummied down for those who haven't a clue?

Yes, I've gone beyond the scope of the thread, but training is a continuing process that, in spite of the belief of most veteran umpires, should never end.
Our MN ASA association does an excellent job of local training. They offer several (3 or so) day-long schools that cover basic mechanics with on the field instruction (inside a dome, typically) and critique. I've attended several times, and there is usually a very good turnout, but I can't say what the percentage is.

If ASA National schools are being dumbed down, there are a couple of solutions to this. The Advanced school was a good idea, but it will come to naught if entrance into the school is not controlled. ASA (and, presumably, the host association) needs to decide whether they want the advanced school to be full or to be advanced. It probably can't be both; at least not until it builds its reputation as not a beginner's school and the veterans recognize its value. Asking for the umpire's resume to accompany the application to the advanced school would be a start - note: "application" not enrollment.

I don't know if ASA National has the resources to offer a beginner national school or two on the calendar each year, but if they could, they they could also up the resume requirements for the "regular" national school. Perhaps offer the beginner school at the same time and at the same place as the regular school to save costs, etc. It would require larger physical facilities, so the on the field training could be segregated, and it would require more clinicians, but for the beginner school, the local association could provide the bulk of the clinicians.

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 08:43am.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE
I estimate I paid $200 for gear as I was preparing work my 1st fastpitch season.
Hats: $30
2 Shirts: $50
2 Pants: $90
Mask: $50
Shin: $30
Bag/Indicator/Brush: $15
Shoes: $100

Total $415 to start!!!and that's pretty basic. I gave away a bunch of my old gear this year to some rookies...hopefully that will help them.

I echo what Irish said about the National School. I went to my first one this year and it had rookies and people who had no clue what the basic mechanics where. Not going to say it was a waste of time/money but I didn't get a whole lot out of it because it had to be toned down because of them. It was excellent for them but left us that are between beginner and advanced bored as heck.

We are lucky here in Tulsa that we have had some of the basic mechanics training. Rules are important, but mechanics are even more important for the rookies.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Basic would be 1 hat, 1 shirt, 1 pair of pants (combo if you must, but around here you can safely avoid the 3 or so 2-man games you might get assigned to in some tournament, or just use your plate pants on the bases), get the flaps on the shin guards and don't buy plate shoes. But, you left off the chest protector.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Maybe if you let the newer guys wear shorts and flip flops...
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Basic would be 1 hat, 1 shirt, 1 pair of pants (combo if you must, but around here you can safely avoid the 3 or so 2-man games you might get assigned to in some tournament, or just use your plate pants on the bases), get the flaps on the shin guards and don't buy plate shoes. But, you left off the chest protector.
Yep forgot the chest protector...not very important

So about $300 minimum to start would be a good guess I think. Here we get about $25 on average per game for spring/summer ball. 12 games to break even. I know that the cost is out of our control, but it's no wonder the younger ones don't want to do this.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep forgot the chest protector...not very important

So about $300 minimum to start would be a good guess I think. Here we get about $25 on average per game for spring/summer ball. 12 games to break even. I know that the cost is out of our control, but it's no wonder the younger ones don't want to do this.
Well, remind them that all of their gear can be claimed on their taxes, as well as their mileage. Once they see that benefit, that might encourage them to go ahead and invest more into their gear.

Maybe allowing them to purchase through you, pay you 75%, then deduct the remaining 25% from their checks over time? Instead of $300, you're only talking $225, and the $75 can be deducted over the course of 10 game fees.

Our association used to let us take the registration fee and deduct it from our first couple of paychecks, but they stopped doing that last year.

Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Our MN ASA association does an excellent job of local training. They offer several (3 or so) day-long schools that cover basic mechanics with on the field instruction (inside a dome, typically) and critique. I've attended several times, and there is usually a very good turnout, but I can't say what the percentage is.

I don't know if ASA National has the resources to offer a beginner national school or two on the calendar each year, but if they could, they they could also up the resume requirements for the "regular" national school. Perhaps offer the beginner school at the same time and at the same place as the regular school to save costs, etc. It would require larger physical facilities, so the on the field training could be segregated, and it would require more clinicians, but for the beginner school, the local association could provide the bulk of the clinicians.
I don't believe new umpires would attend a distant national beginners school. Too costly in bith time and money and possibly intimidating as "national". In DE, and apparently MN, there is an excellent State school and we vets easily spot the umpires who have or haven't been there. It is where most of my mechanics came from and I know the school is still effective.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

around here there isnt to much recruiting going on. However this year I put out a mass email to some leagues and some fastpitch players I knew were aging out of playing the game and we held an introductory clinic for them and some of them did so well that after said class and they had a uniform I put them out with verteran officials and they started working games.

As for the gear aspect aroiund here and I know its a chain thereis a company called play it again sports and I get used gear from there all the time. Yesterday infact I bought a pair of the SHUTT leg gaurds with the removeable liner in them for 38 dollars .... they retail for 80. I tend to keep my gear so umpires that are starting can get a mask for cheap and a set of shingaurds maybe even a chest protector. plus no one tells these new people that Ebayis also a great place to get gear and uniforms...

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I don't believe new umpires would attend a distant national beginners school. Too costly in bith time and money and possibly intimidating as "national".
Yeah, you'd think so... but apparently enough of them are attending to cause the national school to become a de facto beginners school anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
In DE, and apparently MN, there is an excellent State school and we vets easily spot the umpires who have or haven't been there. It is where most of my mechanics came from and I know the school is still effective.
MSF (MN ASA) schedules 3 or 4 of these around the state, so generally at least 1 is within a reasonable driving distance... I know, not an issue in DE! The schools are paid for by the umpire registration fee, so there is no additional charge - you could go to a couple of them if you wanted to.