View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Our MN ASA association does an excellent job of local training. They offer several (3 or so) day-long schools that cover basic mechanics with on the field instruction (inside a dome, typically) and critique. I've attended several times, and there is usually a very good turnout, but I can't say what the percentage is.

I don't know if ASA National has the resources to offer a beginner national school or two on the calendar each year, but if they could, they they could also up the resume requirements for the "regular" national school. Perhaps offer the beginner school at the same time and at the same place as the regular school to save costs, etc. It would require larger physical facilities, so the on the field training could be segregated, and it would require more clinicians, but for the beginner school, the local association could provide the bulk of the clinicians.
I don't believe new umpires would attend a distant national beginners school. Too costly in bith time and money and possibly intimidating as "national". In DE, and apparently MN, there is an excellent State school and we vets easily spot the umpires who have or haven't been there. It is where most of my mechanics came from and I know the school is still effective.