The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Just curious. Do most of you do pregame meetings with captains and coaches at younger levels (8th and lower)? I always do. Do a quick sportsmanship talk and make sure they are legally and properly eqqipped. I officiate in two states because I live on the border. In one state it seems to be common procedure, at least in this area, because everyone expects it and does it. In the other I must be the only one who does because when I call for captains and head coaches to meet at the center line before the game they look at me like I am from another planet. What do they do where you are my esteemed colleagues?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:14pm
M.A.S.H.

Guess I can't answer this question since I live 50 minutes from ya!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I know you do. I've been there when you've done it. You did well, too, I might add.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Just curious. Do most of you do pregame meetings with captains and coaches at younger levels (8th and lower)? I always do. Do a quick sportsmanship talk and make sure they are legally and properly eqqipped. I officiate in two states because I live on the border. In one state it seems to be common procedure, at least in this area, because everyone expects it and does it. In the other I must be the only one who does because when I call for captains and head coaches to meet at the center line before the game they look at me like I am from another planet. What do they do where you are my esteemed colleagues?
7th and below, no captains'; just coaches. 8th, I hold captains' and coaches separately. Captains: "Congratulations on being selected Captain, be a leader out there, go back to your warmups". If anyone thinks these kids are listening to more than one thing (if that) they are kidding themselves. I can count on one finger through 30+ eighth grade games that the "captain" came to me with an on-court problem, and that one time was to tell me that "number 42 pinched me".
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

I do a VERY short pregame with coaches (remember I only whistle in younger leagues by choice) with any "house rules" of the league. Only thing I do after that from a game management standpoint is to (a) before the tip, go to each bench and remind players to double knot their shoes and (b)have the kiddos point to the basket they are shooting towards when we are at the center circle.

Would I do this for anything 6th grade or above? Absolutely NOT.
Yet, since I'm reffing youngsters (and calling with my son, which is a BLAST) and I have had to stop the clock several times due to "shoe emergencies", I do these game management things to keep the game running.

Now when our son graduates HS, then I'll look at moving to work to move up to better games.