The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

USSSA, Infield Fly

If all obligations or criteria of an infield fly have been met...does the umpire(s) have to verbally state or indicate "infield fly" for the rule to be enforced? The USSA rule book says any acknowledgment is a "benefit". Now....I would understand that if the rule were "not" acknowledged the umpire(s) might have to turn and meet his or her "new" friend but I always understood that verbal or signal acknowledgement was indeed a "benefit". Am I wrong in my thoughts?
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

It is "supposed" to be called. Just because it isn't doesn't mean it is not enforced. BUt it is going to be a "fun" conversation if someone forgets.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
It is "supposed" to be called. Just because it isn't doesn't mean it is not enforced. BUt it is going to be a "fun" conversation if someone forgets.
I had this happen twice in the past couple weeks. It's always been my Achilles' heel. Two weeks ago it was men's 45 and over SP. The ball was not caught but the defense got the force out at third. It's an easy going league so I explained that there should be an out with runners at first and second and we just left the runners where they were at first and second.

Last week, women's FP. The infield fly is not caught, but the defense makes a force out at third (they did not tag the runner). The defensive coach wants two outs because the lead runner went to the dugout instead of returning to second. I told him she went to the dugout because I called her out (interference) and returned the runners to their bases. Had they doubled her off at second on the play, I would have given them the second out. So we moved the runners back and had an out.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60
I had this happen twice in the past couple weeks. It's always been my Achilles' heel. Two weeks ago it was men's 45 and over SP. The ball was not caught but the defense got the force out at third. It's an easy going league so I explained that there should be an out with runners at first and second and we just left the runners where they were at first and second.

Last week, women's FP. The infield fly is not caught, but the defense makes a force out at third (they did not tag the runner). The defensive coach wants two outs because the lead runner went to the dugout instead of returning to second. I told him she went to the dugout because I called her out (interference) and returned the runners to their bases. Had they doubled her off at second on the play, I would have given them the second out. So we moved the runners back and had an out.

In the women's FP you did what?????? How did you get INT? The lead runner can advance with liability to be put out....if they didn't tag her leave her at 3rd!! BR is out on Infield Fly. How would you have given them a 2nd out???? The force is off because BR is out on infield fly.

Am I missing something here?
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You aren't really an umpire, are you? :laugh:
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
You aren't really an umpire, are you? :laugh:
that was my first thought...then I wonder if we are getting punk'd...then I remembered two veteran umpires giving a double play on a IF dropped ball at a tourney I UIC'd. Couldn't convince them they blew it then finally the light came on, they had a major brain fart.

So maybe he's a really confused umpire
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the women's FP you did what?????? How did you get INT? The lead runner can advance with liability to be put out....if they didn't tag her leave her at 3rd!! BR is out on Infield Fly. How would you have given them a 2nd out???? The force is off because BR is out on infield fly.

Am I missing something here?
I called the runner at third out on a force. You're right, she should have been safe on the dropped infield fly. I called the B-R out on the infield fly and returned the runners to first and second. They should have stayed on second and third. The defensive coach also wanted the runner on third called out for leaving the field, but I told him she left the field because I called her out (interference by me).

Last edited by 7in60; Sun Jun 15, 2008 at 07:57pm.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that was my first thought...then I wonder if we are getting punk'd...then I remembered two veteran umpires giving a double play on a IF dropped ball at a tourney I UIC'd. Couldn't convince them they blew it then finally the light came on, they had a major brain fart.

So maybe he's a really confused umpire
Lets call it a brain fart. I do my best on the diamond, but I am human. I put myself out there by adding this to the thread, and I was hoping for constructive remarks.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I called the runner at third out on a force. You're right, she should have been safe on the dropped infield fly. I called the B-R out on the infield fly and returned the runners to first and second. They should have stayed on second and third. The defensive coach also wanted the runner on third called out for leaving the field, but I told him she left the field because I called her out (interference by me).
I don't think you are being clear on what happened.....I think I figured it out. You put the original runners, R1 and R2 back on 2B and 1B. You called the BR out.

Where this got confusing was you saying you called the runner out for INT. I think what you are trying to say is that R1 left the field and you called her back to the base, explaining to the Def Coach you put her in jeopardy by calling her out when he complained?

Yep you messed it up, but we all get confused every once and a while. Live and Learn!
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think you are being clear on what happened.....I think I figured it out. You put the original runners, R1 and R2 back on 2B and 1B. You called the BR out.

Where this got confusing was you saying you called the runner out for INT. I think what you are trying to say is that R1 left the field and you called her back to the base, explaining to the Def Coach you put her in jeopardy by calling her out when he complained?

Yep you messed it up, but we all get confused every once and a while. Live and Learn!
Exactly, on both counts.