The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to JWalker
Ok, last night, USSSA rules. I have 2 questions:

1. Runner on first, batter hits ball to 2nd baseman. The runner on first collides with the 2nd baseman who is in the baseline, trying to get the ball. Is there interference on anyone? 2nd baseman or runner. Someone argued that the runner be called out, on interference... I didnt agree.

2. Ball hit into outfield. Runner rounds 3rd, and comes home. The catcher catches the ball, and as she makes the tag, she drops it. The catcher is completely in the baseline. After she dropped the ball, she didnt move. The runner 'sort of' collided with her, (not too badly), and then moved around her to tag home. She moved INSIDE the diamond, like towards the pitchers mound. (but not nearly that far). Should the runner have been called out because she was out of the baseline? Please help.
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, only the offense can interfere. The defense obstructs.

In your first situation, it is a HTBT play, but from what you described I can see grounds for calling interference. However, with that said, if the runner, the fielder and the ball all arrived at the same point at the same time, it is quite possible that you could have had no call at all. Like I said, HTBT.

In the second situation, ask yourself the simple question of was the runner running out of the basepath to avoid a tag? From what you described, the answer would be no. The penalty is on a baserunner who strays more than 3 ft from the basepath, (not baseline, but the imaginary path that the runner creates from one base to the next)on either side, (stepping to the infield side or the outfield side is irrelevant), to AVOID A TAG!

Scott
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

The fielder has all rights during a batted ball.........

In your case........I would probably rule interference on the runner (Runner out......all other runners return to last base touched and BR awarded 1st base on a fielders choice).........BUT let me clarify by saying that any Interference or Obstruction is usually a HTBT (had to be there) play......

2nd situation.........definite HTBT play........but as described........I would NOT rule the batter out for being out of his/her baseline unless a tag was being applied.

Would like to hear more on this 2nd play.......

Did the collision cause the ball to come loose? Was the catcher waiting to make the tag? How far away did the ball go after the catcher dropped it? Many unknowns.........grin

Joel
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to JWalker
Ok, as for the 2nd scenario... the catch and tag were simultaneous. Therefore, the catcher lost control of the ball. She had it, but maybe tried to tag without having FULL control of it. As she reached to tag, (which she DID make contact with the runner) the ball came out of her glove, and bounced into the "fair ball" territory. Then, the runner just ran around her and touched home plate. Does that make any more sense? Hope so. This is my first year umpiring, and I am trying to do my best... I feel this is something that will happen again, so I want to make sure I made the right call. I called the runner safe.
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Ball/runner/fielder all converge on the same place at the same time..........what we have is typically called a "Wreck".........nobody at fault (unless the runner maliciously crashes the runner....but not by your description)........

The runner has a right to the plate......as long as the catcher is not applying a tag......the runner can take any path they choose (again......as long as they do not maliciously contact F2)....I have got the runner safe.

JMHO

Joel

Old Thu May 30, 2002, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Here is what covers the first situation from the USSSA rule book:
Sec. 5. BASERUNNERS ARE OUT under the following circumstances:
B. When the baserunner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball, or intentionally interferes with a Fielder catching a ball, or throwing a ball, or with a thrown ball.

EFFECT Sec. 5 B. If the interference is not ruled intentional, the batter-runner is entitled to go to first base. If in the opinion of the Umpire, the interference is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the immediate succeeding runner shall also be called out. When a baserunner interferes after he is out or after scoring, the most advanced runner shall be declared out.

EFFECT Sec. 5 B-E. Ball dead immediately, and involved baserunner is out.

My opinion interference, dead ball runner out, B/R gets first.

Situation 2 depending on how "hard" the runner ran into the catcher this may apply:
5 T. When a defensive player clearly has the ball and is waiting for the runner and the runner deliberately with great force crashes into the defensive player, the runner is declared out.

EFFECT Sec. 5 T. The offender shall be ejected, the ball is dead and all other runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the collision.

This is all your judgement, it appears that it did not fit this description so I would rule the runner safe as the runner appeared to not be avoiding the tag.

Strikes & Outs, Jeff