The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

What iffy play

(Actually, rather literally a dream play, since I was in fact dreaming when I saw this and probably never will.)

So, in my sitch, the pitcher gets the ball back with runners on 2 and 3 and 2 is off the base. She freezes and then moves toward third. The pitcher without making a play realizes the runner is committed to third and just stands there. Pretty soon we have two runners on third, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Then one steps off. I call her out. The coach comes out to argue and I wake up.

But it of course got me thinking, is the runner at 3rd considered off her base once the runner from 2nd gets there? Or vice versa? Can they both be stopped there until the pitcher makes a play? What if the pitcher decides to get set to pitch?

Thoughts?
________
HOrnyPassion live

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:13pm.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
(Actually, rather literally a dream play, since I was in fact dreaming when I saw this and probably never will.)

So, in my sitch, the pitcher gets the ball back with runners on 2 and 3 and 2 is off the base. She freezes and then moves toward second. The pitcher without making a play realizes the runner is committed to third and just stands there. Pretty soon we have two runners on third, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Then one steps off. I call her out. The coach comes out to argue and I wake up.

But it of course got me thinking, is the runner at 3rd considered off her base once the runner from 2nd gets there? Or vice versa? Can they both be stopped there until the pitcher makes a play? What if the pitcher decides to get set to pitch?

Thoughts?
Unless forced by a walk, award or a batted ball, the runner who already occupies third is the only person who has the right to it. An out can be recorded when both runners are standing on third by merely tagging the runner who came there from second.

However, from reading your post, it sounds like you should have a LBR violation before the runner from second ever made it to third. You said she froze, then moved back to second, and then on to third. She should be out.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

If you legitimately end up with 2 runners on a base (could happen) and the pitcher keeps the ball in the circle without making a play, you call time and send the following runner back.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...I was in fact dreaming when I saw this...

Thoughts?
You definitely need some help with your fantasy life...
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I meant she headed to third, edited the sitch.
________
AngyStrip4U cam

Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
If you legitimately end up with 2 runners on a base (could happen) and the pitcher keeps the ball in the circle without making a play, you call time and send the following runner back.
Thanks, and what rule do I use to back that up.
________
Redhead live

Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'd wait until the defense had the presence of mind to tag the second runner out.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
You definitely need some help with your fantasy life...
I think he forgot to mention that the players were hot babes in short shorts and that the coach likes to argue up close and very personal. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyer
I'd wait until the defense had the presence of mind to tag the second runner out.
But what if they don't? The OP even asks:

Quote:
What if the pitcher decides to get set to pitch?
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
I think he forgot to mention that the players were hot babes in short shorts and that the coach likes to argue up close and very personal. . .
Nope, Dakota's just right.
________
IzabellaX

Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, Dakota's just right.
Then you defintely do need help with your fantasy life!
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So, in my sitch, the pitcher gets the ball back with runners on 2 and 3 and 2 is off the base. She freezes and then moves toward third. The pitcher without making a play realizes the runner is committed to third and just stands there. Pretty soon we have two runners on third, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Then one steps off. I call her out. The coach comes out to argue and I wake up.

Thoughts?
Bang both of them out. It's a dream! When the coach comes out to argue, shoot the coach with your pistol which all umpires have in dream scenarios.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, and what rule do I use to back that up?

I don't think it's in the ASA book in black and white. I asked that question a few years ago at clinic, and that's the answer I got (send the following runner back).

You might make a case for "two runners cannot occupy a base," but I think that's weak.

I did have that play happen, though. Two runners on 2B, and the pitcher ready to pitch. Needless to say, you won't see this at higher levels.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Just hold the pitcher from pitching until someone figures this out?
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
Just hold the pitcher from pitching until someone figures this out?
How, by calling time? Once I call time, it's too late. I don't think I can hold the pitcher up with the ball live.
________
MariPoly

Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

As the plate umpire would you get set with two runners on a base? I think I would just be in my holding zone until someone on the defense did something. The play is not over.

Another way to look at this would be that the runner from 2nd is not legally entitled to 3rd as it is occupied. She is stopped so LBR could be called.