The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Usssa

USSSA game: E tourn. homerun is an offense ejection (O.E.). Two outs, Batter is intentionally walked to get to O.E. which follows. BR walks to 1st base with the bat in his hand. PU calls the third out for the O.E. Def. Coach says the BR should have been called out for going to 1st base with the bat in his hand resulting in the 3rd out and the O.E. would have been the 1st out of the next inning. I hope I explained this well enough. I beleive the call on the field was correct since it was a deadball on the walk the BR can not be called out for carrying the bat all the way to first. Also, should the ball be put back in play before the O.E. is called for the out.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 8.4.G says The batter is out when, after hitting a fair batted ball, and while the ball is still live, the batter-runner carries the bat and touches first base.

Base on ball is a dead ball situation, I would not call the out.

Bugg
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree totally. Why in the H would someone take the bat to first is beyond me. But the call is correct
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldgriff
I agree totally. Why in the H would someone take the bat to first is beyond me. But the call is correct

Why there would ever be a stupid rule calling someone out for it is beyond me.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
Why there would ever be a stupid rule calling someone out for it is beyond me.
Maybe the same mentality that leads to "must slide" and other various perceived "safety" rules?
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
Base on ball is a dead ball situation, I would not call the out.
Is that a USSSA rule - it's not a DB in any other rule set. Is this "bat rule" also just a USSSA rule? In HS or college, they can carry it around the bases with them.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Larry, I think you missed the unstated inference that this is not just USSSA, but also slow pitch. The "bat rule" only applies in USSSA slow pitch; but balls not hit are dead in slow pitch without stealing. Thus, a walk is simply a dead ball awarded base.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Larry, I think you missed the unstated inference that this is not just USSSA, but also slow pitch. The "bat rule" only applies in USSSA slow pitch; but balls not hit are dead in slow pitch without stealing. Thus, a walk is simply a dead ball awarded base.
Grrrrrrr, that stupid filter . . . wait, how the heck am I supposed to know that?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I've never seen the U-Trip rules. What is an "Offense Ejection"? Does that mean that the guy who hits a home run is ejected, and when his spot comes up there's an automatic out? Seems pretty harsh.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Grrrrrrr, that stupid filter . . . wait, how the heck am I supposed to know that?
As I said, it was an unstated inference in that there are only home run limits (to my knowledge) in slow pitch, thus the offensive ejection for hitting one in a "no home run" classification. That, and knowing the "bat rule" is also a slow pitch only rule. Assumably, only slow pitch players are crazy enough to use a bat as a weapon after reaching first base.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
As I said, it was an unstated inference in that there are only home run limits (to my knowledge) in slow pitch, thus the offensive ejection for hitting one in a "no home run" classification. That, and knowing the "bat rule" is also a slow pitch only rule. Assumably, only slow pitch players are crazy enough to use a bat as a weapon after reaching first base.
See what I get for NOT doing slow pitch . . .

Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14
I've never seen the U-Trip rules. What is an "Offense Ejection"? Does that mean that the guy who hits a home run is ejected, and when his spot comes up there's an automatic out? Seems pretty harsh.
As the term indicates, it's only on "offense". The "ejected" player is still allowed to play defense.

No, it is not a harsh rule. If you are in a division that limits HRs, thats the rule. If you don't like the rule, play at a level where hitting HRs will not hurt you.

Over the past three or four years, ASA has come dangerously close to initiating similar penalties for excess HRs. For one year, the second HR of the game was an ejection at the D level. Inning-ending HRs have come more into focus lately. That, too, is already done by some assns.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Over the past three or four years, ASA has come dangerously close to initiating similar penalties for excess HRs. For one year, the second HR of the game was an ejection at the D level. Inning-ending HRs have come more into focus lately. That, too, is already done by some assns.
Personally I like the rule that limits the amount of doubles a player can get. I think it's in the G level. If a player hits more than 1 double in a game he's not allowed to hit more than a single after that and he's also not allowed to score - he must stop at 3rd!

How in the heck do you guys keep all the slow pitch crap sorted out in your head? That would drive me nuts!

Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

How in the heck do you guys keep all the slow pitch crap sorted out in your head?

We're pretty dang smart guy, that's how.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
How in the heck do you guys keep all the slow pitch crap sorted out in your head?

We're pretty dang smart guy, that's how.
I bow to your greatness!! I have a hard enough time trying to keep all the FP rules separated let alone SP too?