The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Georgia vs UCLA

Georgia pitcher was stepping way out of the 24" pitching plate. A few times she was out with BOTH feet. Please don't tell me it only looked that way because of the camera angle. The camera that showed it was in straight away center. Are umpires at this level told to disregard this infraction, since she was out so far, the PU had to see it since it was right there in front of him. Dave
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Georgia pitcher was stepping way out of the 24" pitching plate. A few times she was out with BOTH feet. Please don't tell me it only looked that way because of the camera angle. The camera that showed it was in straight away center. Are umpires at this level told to disregard this infraction, since she was out so far, the PU had to see it since it was right there in front of him. Dave
You mean while he is not watching that 62 MPH riser coming at his face.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

UCLA catcher doing a lot of talking, somewhat annoying.

However, what is really annoying is that she is occasionaly calling the pitches, mostly outside pitches strikes.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I agree her landing looked outside of the 24 inch plate. I am sure someone has seen this pitcher before the super regionals, so I am wondering if they were told that she is legal and leave it alone.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Compared to Mowatt? You have to be kidding.

I have seen her pitch many times. She is borderline, but doesn't really jump way out, not enough to be clear while trying to focus on her pitch.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

I have seen her pitch many times. She is borderline, but doesn't really jump way out, not enough to be clear while trying to focus on her pitch.
Seems she doesn't give you a whole lot of time to get set, either. A couple times tonight, she wasn't far from walking into her pitches.
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
UCLA catcher doing a lot of talking, somewhat annoying.

However, what is really annoying is that she is occasionaly calling the pitches, mostly outside pitches strikes.

That F2 chatter about drove me nuts,and that was just through the TV screen. I don't know how PU could stand it after a few innings without a shut-the-****-up
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
No I am not kidding. I really don't care about Mowatt's pitching. I remarked about the Georgia pitcher and she is no way "borderline". If this pitcher only did it a few times I could see maybe not seeing it since the PU should be concentrating on the pitch, but as consistant as she did it, it should be caught. As a sidebar I'll bet if one of the higher profile names on this board had brought this up, almost everyone would have jumped on the bandwagon to agree with them. Dave
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No I am not kidding. I really don't care about Mowatt's pitching. I remarked about the Georgia pitcher and she is no way "borderline". If this pitcher only did it a few times I could see maybe not seeing it since the PU should be concentrating on the pitch, but as consistant as she did it, it should be caught. As a sidebar I'll bet if one of the higher profile names on this board had brought this up, almost everyone would have jumped on the bandwagon to agree with them. Dave
Not at all.

This is not a new topic. It is raised every time softball is on TV and every umpire knows it happens. However, it is not the PU's priority and you don't give up the pitch for a maybe. You have a batter swinging/running up in the box, at catcher moving to receive the ball, the need to concentrate on the ball and the strike zone and on top of all that, whether the batter swings, is in the box and isn't hit by the ball.

To I think it should be called? Sure. Do I understand why it is not? Sure.

It is possible the umpire was instructed to call Mowatt illegal early on to try and send a message.
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Given I don't see many 62mph pitchers or super-quick motions, I sometimes see this violation from behind the plate without looking for it. Even when then watching to verify it, I can pick up the ball in time by framing both. That said, my main point here is that it can be seen by base umpires in B or C positions, as can not joining hands, etc. If we can tell from a CF camera, a BU on the field can.
Of course, that belies the point above that there are no illegal pitches on TV softball, maybe not in any D1 game.
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 02:48pm
GrumpUmp

Wouldn't 2 chalk lines from the edges of the pitching rubber to the front of the circle solve this? Is this too much to expect or am I missing something (which wouldn't be the first time)?
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp
Wouldn't 2 chalk lines from the edges of the pitching rubber to the front of the circle solve this? Is this too much to expect or am I missing something (which wouldn't be the first time)?
One the lines wouldn't last.
Two there are way too many priorities to watch for other than that.

I was more amused when the HP umpire (Scott Thomas) got hit with the pitch, part of me wondered if the GA pitcher didn't kind of take a free shot as she didn't like the zone she was getting.

Aren't you supposed to move to the unoccupied box when the batter calls time and steps out?
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
One the lines wouldn't last.
Two there are way too many priorities to watch for other than that.

I was more amused when the HP umpire (Scott Thomas) got hit with the pitch, part of me wondered if the GA pitcher didn't kind of take a free shot as she didn't like the zone she was getting.

Aren't you supposed to move to the unoccupied box when the batter calls time and steps out?
You were "amused." Nice!!
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I worked 18Gs all weekend. I watched one pitcher during a off game and to me it was clear she was out of the lane. I was up in the scorekeepers booth/umpire locker area and could see it clearly. I called over a few other umpires to check it out and they agreed. I figured if I had a game with her I'd be calling it.

Sure enough, she was pitcher, I was PU a few games later. I WATCHED for it, knowing what I knew.

What looks so clear when I was sitting above the field, was not so clear behind the dish. I would say a combination of needing to track the ball and just the straight ahead view.. it wasnt easy to tell FOR SURE.

I never called the IP on her.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

how aobut compared to angela tinsher !!! she isnt out side the 24 but she can sure pitch from a foot closer!