The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I think gm is saying the runner would have reached home (ITUJ) if not obstructed.
Isn't this the same as a runner tagged between the point of OBS and the next base or returning to the previous base because of being OBS and then being awarded the attempted base?
Yes, but they still have to touch the base. If it was any base other than the plate, it is obvious, since they are going to go stand on the next base. This makes the plate a little unique.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Why do all the good arguments on here occur either when I am at lunch, asleep, or working? (I can hear the cracks about sleep and working already.)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Yes, but they still have to touch the base. If it was any base other than the plate, it is obvious, since they are going to go stand on the next base. This makes the plate a little unique.
A little unique but not much in so that the next stop is the dugout. They had all the time from the point of obstruction till they touch the DBT in the dugout to finish their baserunning duties.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
A little unique but not much in so that the next stop is the dugout. They had all the time from the point of obstruction till they touch the DBT in the dugout to finish their baserunning duties.
I understand that completely. But, if you weren't an umpire, would you be aware of your baserunning duties at age 14?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"

Last edited by MNBlue; Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 01:47pm.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand that completely. But, if you weren't an umpire, would you be aware of your baserunning duties at age 14?
Maybe not but the coach should have been and should have been yelling at her to go back and touch the plate before she got in the dugout.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
Maybe not but the coach should have been and should have been yelling at her to go back and touch the plate before she got in the dugout.
Thanks for the laugh. But you should put a smiley in your post when you are making fun of coaches.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the laugh. But you should put a smiley in your post when you are making fun of coaches.
Yes, I should have
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coaches are dumb

Sorry, I'm in a slap-happy mood today. My games weren't cancelled due to wet conditions, so back behind the plate, I go.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Take the OP situation. When would you call the ball dead?
Which is why I posed the question...
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

This issue intrigues me as it raises the question: "Are you going to call the book literally? Or by the spirit of the law?"

R1 coming home, F2 blocks the plate, R1 slides wide, PU's arm out and says "obstruction," R1 misses plate, F2 receives ball.

Sit 1: F2 dives and tags R1; PU calls dead ball, awards R1 home on obstruction.

Sit 2: F2 looks at PU and says, "she missed the plate," then tags R1. PU honors the appeal (which is an exception to the obstruction rules), and calls R1 out.

Can anyone find a rule that supports allowing a runner free access to return to touch a base missed due to obstruction, before honoring a missed base appeal?

WMB
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

What if the PU calls OBS after the play is dead (either on his own, or after conferring with FU, for example) and after the BR entered team area? Do you then let the BR come out and complete her awarded baserunning, since it was the PU's failure to call OBS during live ball play that put the BR in jeopardy from completing her baserunning?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
...since it was the PU's failure to call OBS during live ball play that put the BR in jeopardy from completing her baserunning?
No, actually, it didn't. What prevented the BR from returning to retouch was her entering the dugout. Whether or not OBS was called, she is still obligated to touch home plate, and is in jeopardy of being out on appeal if she does not.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
R1 coming home, F2 blocks the plate, R1 slides wide, PU's arm out and says "obstruction," R1 misses plate, F2 receives ball.

Sit 1: F2 dives and tags R1; PU calls dead ball, awards R1 home on obstruction.

Sit 2: F2 looks at PU and says, "she missed the plate," then tags R1. PU honors the appeal (which is an exception to the obstruction rules), and calls R1 out.

WMB
In situation 2, if she missed the plate due to the obstruction, I would award home. Situation 1 is easy.

In the situation in the OP I would keep the obstruction/DDB signal on until she stopped trying to touch home. Then I would have a missed base and possible appeal. I think that this goes with the intent of the rules.

If the runner was tagged before touching the plate, while still attempting to touch the plate, after the the DDB sigal, then I kill the play and award bases.

Comments?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
What if the PU calls OBS after the play is dead (either on his own, or after conferring with FU, for example) and after the BR entered team area? Do you then let the BR come out and complete her awarded baserunning, since it was the PU's failure to call OBS during live ball play that put the BR in jeopardy from completing her baserunning?
Okay, I'm not 100% certain of the mechanic here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. In this case, I would expect the BU to call for a dead ball. At that point, the mess should be easily cleared up. The key word being: should.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Can anyone find a rule that supports allowing a runner free access to return to touch a base missed due to obstruction, before honoring a missed base appeal?

WMB
ASA

RS #1,C,1