The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction - One More Time

ASA Game.

R2 on third, one out. B2 hit the ball to the infield and R2 takes off for home.

The throw to home beats R2 with F2 blocking the plate. No problem.

R2 to slides into F2. In the process of tagging R2, F2 losses control of the ball the rolls next to R2. F2 continues to block the plate while retrieving the ball and tags R2 out.

My call, obstruction on F2 when she losses control of the ball and continues to block the plate.

Reasoning: F2 after losing control of the ball, impended R2 from advancing to home plate. Therefore, as R2 was impended and F2 did not have possession of the ball, I have obstruction.

Correct call?
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I hate to say it, but it's another "HTBT." If the picture I've got from your post is accurate, it sounds like it could have been OBS. If a fielder, not in possession of the ball, impedes (not impends) the progress of a runner, then you have OBS.

How was F2 blocking the plate while retrieving the ball? Was R1 at a dead stop?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=NCASAUmp]I hate to say it, but it's another "HTBT." If the picture I've got from your post is accurate, it sounds like it could have been OBS. If a fielder, not in possession of the ball, impedes (not impends) the progress of a runner, then you have OBS.

How was F2 blocking the plate while retrieving the ball? Was R1 at a dead stop?[/QUOTE]

F2 was on her knees in front of the plate leaning over the runner to retrieve the ball.

R1 was trying to move F2 out of the way, as best she could, while laying flat on her back.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKBLUE
...F2 was on her knees in front of the plate leaning over the runner to retrieve the ball.

R1 was trying to move F2 out of the way, as best she could, while laying flat on her back.
Then that was obstruction.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Seems we had a sitch similar to this a year or two ago.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Then that was obstruction.
Yup. Kinda fits every part of the definition.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

HTBT play but from the OP it sounds like obstruction.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this one yesterday:

R1 attempting to steal 2B, F2 throws down, F6 crosses in front of 2B, ball hits the glove, F6 steps in front of the runner, ball falls out, R1 collides with F6 sans ball (it was a lot more fluid than that, but you get the picture; save the drop, one of the best defensive reactions to a stolen base attempt I've seen this year, R1 was caught cold). BU's arm goes out and holds it there until R1 reaches 3B.

After a second's thought, I agreed with the call. Wouldn't have held my arm up that long, I don't think...
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
Saw this one yesterday:

R1 attempting to steal 2B, F2 throws down, F6 crosses in front of 2B, ball hits the glove, F6 steps in front of the runner, ball falls out, R1 collides with F6 sans ball (it was a lot more fluid than that, but you get the picture; save the drop, one of the best defensive reactions to a stolen base attempt I've seen this year, R1 was caught cold). BU's arm goes out and holds it there until R1 reaches 3B.

After a second's thought, I agreed with the call. Wouldn't have held my arm up that long, I don't think...
I am just getting started so please bear with me. This last situation is a bit confusing. I'm sure I've missed something somewhere.

Since F6 had the ball and was attempting a play on R1 when the ball fell out, why is that OBS? Or, did the ball fall out BEFORE the collision with R1?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDW
I am just getting started so please bear with me. This last situation is a bit confusing. I'm sure I've missed something somewhere.

Since F6 had the ball and was attempting a play on R1 when the ball fell out, why is that OBS? Or, did the ball fall out BEFORE the collision with R1?
OK, with the original post - "In the process of tagging R2, F2 losses control of the ball the rolls next to R2." No obstruction at this point.
"F2 continues to block the plate while retrieving the ball and tags R2 out." - the obstruction is here - the fielder did not have the ball and hindered or impeded the runner.

Now, what is the definition of obstruction? See why it's obstruction now?

Look at Jeffer's play - "R1 attempting to steal 2B, F2 throws down, F6 crosses in front of 2B, ball hits the glove, F6 steps in front of the runner, ball falls out, R1 collides with F6 sans ball (it was a lot more fluid than that, but you get the picture; save the drop, one of the best defensive reactions to a stolen base attempt I've seen this year, R1 was caught cold)."
At the point in time of the collision, did F6 have the ball? Go back to the definition of obstruction you just looked up. See why it is obstruction?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

I think I've got it. The first one I understood. Based on the information given, F2 was clearly keeping R2 from getting to the plate while NOT in possession of the ball.

In the second situation, I missed the "sans". So, F6 did NOT have the ball and collided with R1. Clear obstruction.

Have I got it?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Look at Jeffer's play - "R1 attempting to steal 2B, F2 throws down, F6 crosses in front of 2B, ball hits the glove, F6 steps in front of the runner, ball falls out, R1 collides with F6 sans ball (it was a lot more fluid than that, but you get the picture; save the drop, one of the best defensive reactions to a stolen base attempt I've seen this year, R1 was caught cold)."
At the point in time of the collision, did F6 have the ball? Go back to the definition of obstruction you just looked up. See why it is obstruction?
If this all happened "fluidly" then I don't see obstruction at all. I think you have a collision. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's one of those HTBT things.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I'm new here.....HTBT?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDW
OK, I'm new here.....HTBT?
HTBT = Had To Be There
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDW
I think I've got it. The first one I understood. Based on the information given, F2 was clearly keeping R2 from getting to the plate while NOT in possession of the ball.

In the second situation, I missed the "sans". So, F6 did NOT have the ball and collided with R1. Clear obstruction.

Have I got it?

Sounds like you got it.

AND welcome to the board...........