The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Couple of questions (ASA FP)

I work at fall league on the weekends. Saturday is 10U and 13U, and then Sunday is High School age. Well, on Saturday we were short 2 umps because there were some rain outs that were added to the schedule w/o the UIC informed so were had 2 fields that had 1 umpire on them. I ended up doing 5 loner games in a row that kicked my but.

However, I was experimenting a little with mechanics on my loaner games and I had a couple of questions.

1) Bases empty, any number of outs, and the batter drops a bunt down the first base line. Traditional mechanics say that the PU go around the catcher and up the first base line looking for a pulled foot at first, but in this situation if you follow the traditional mechanic you are straight-lined and cant really see a pulled foot. In this scenario would it be prudent to head between the circle and the third base line to try and create somewhat of an angle so you can see a pulled foot? I will continue to do what ASA says, but I think is method is flawed somewhat.

2) Does anybody have any tips for going from 10U strike zone, to a 13U strike zone, and a HS strike zone more easily? I usually find that it takes me a few batters to get the right zone. Does anybody have any tips to make the transition easier?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

1) If you're working solo and still going straight up the line on this play, you are NOT doing "what ASA says"!

Check your manual for one-umpire mechanics. They are quite different from the two-man version.

2) I had this same thing happen yesterday. The first two games I did were 18U, with quality pitchers throwing at good velocity, with plenty of movement, and hitting their spots. These games were crisply played and an absolute joy to work.

The next two were 12U with pitchers that were lucky to find the plate, sloppy defense, poor base running and weak hitting. Rather grueling affairs- but they still require your best effort!

A batter or two to adjust sounds about right. Other than that, I could only suggest: Being aware of the age or ability differences going in; Getting a gauge on the pitchers as they are going through their warm-ups; Starting off the game with an as "by the book" zone as possible; Making any adjustments early; Once you've adjusted, be consistent throughout the rest of the game; Don't make such gross adjustments that you're calling strikes on unhittable pitches- a foot outside or as high as the batter's eyes.

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 10:55am.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Caliente
I work at fall league on the weekends. Saturday is 10U and 13U, and then Sunday is High School age. Well, on Saturday we were short 2 umps because there were some rain outs that were added to the schedule w/o the UIC informed so were had 2 fields that had 1 umpire on them. I ended up doing 5 loner games in a row that kicked my but.

2) Does anybody have any tips for going from 10U strike zone, to a 13U strike zone, and a HS strike zone more easily? I usually find that it takes me a few batters to get the right zone. Does anybody have any tips to make the transition easier?
Man,
5 games in a row would kick anyone's butt.

I'll let question 1 alone and go right to #2. I feel for ya there. I think your best results will be from timing and tracking. Track the pitch all the way to the catcher catching it. Now, watching that change in speed may make a certain part pucker, but that's OK. I year or so ago, I had the reverse of your sequence. I went from working a top men's major tournament that ended on a Saturday to driving an hour or so to spend the rest of the holiday weekend working a youth tournament. Going from seeing pitches near 90 to pitches near 55, I had to really concentrate - 'cuz the pitches took forever.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
1) If you're working solo and still going straight up the line on this play, you are NOT doing "what ASA says"!

Check your manual for one-umpire mechanics. They are quite different from the two-man version.

I don't have a manual for 1 umpire mechanics. I have the CD that has two man and three man on there. In this situation though, I chose to actually head up the third base line/into the infield so I could get an angle. Another umpire saw me do this and questioned it. My answer was so that I could see for a pulled foot, and he told me I was wrong that I need to go up the first base line.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Man,
5 games in a row would kick anyone's butt.

I think your best results will be from timing and tracking. Track the pitch all the way to the catcher catching it. Now, watching that change in speed may make a certain part pucker, but that's OK. I year or so ago, I had the reverse of your sequence. I went from working a top men's major tournament that ended on a Saturday to driving an hour or so to spend the rest of the holiday weekend working a youth tournament. Going from seeing pitches near 90 to pitches near 55, I had to really concentrate - 'cuz the pitches took forever.
Thanks for the tips. I actually get beat up more doing the younger girls than the older girls. usually if a pitcher is good enough to bring some heat the catcher can usually catch it. More than once I have been down and had the younger catcher either miss it or tip off her glove and nail me. Usually in the thigh, stomach (CP ends about my sternum), or in my boys. Give me the fire baller over the younger girls any day. Plus the younger girls have "special rules" they want us to follow since its Fall Ball/instructional. For example:

-With bases loaded the batter gets 6 balls before the walk. You know how awkward saying "4 balls and two strikes" is?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't have a manual for 1 umpire mechanics. I have the CD that has two man and three man on there. In this situation though, I chose to actually head up the third base line/into the infield so I could get an angle. Another umpire saw me do this and questioned it. My answer was so that I could see for a pulled foot, and he told me I was wrong that I need to go up the first base line.
You don't have the umpire edition of the ASA Official Rules of Softball book? How can you check a ruling you may have missed, then?? You really should get a hold of one of these (you can purchase them through the ASA website if your association doesn't supply you with them.) I think that you will really be surprised at how much different the mechanics are for the 1 man umpire system in nearly every situation you can imagine, than, say, the two man system.

1 man mechanics will really tire you out if you use the correctly and are having to work five games, as you stated you did. There is a lot, and I mean a lot, of hustle involved in applying them correctly.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Do you have, or can you borrow, the "Umpire Edition" of the ASA rule book? There is a synopsis of one-man mechanics there.

On a ground ball with no runners on base, the prescribed mechanic is to exit to the left of the catcher and head for the area between the pitching circle and first base.

That should give you a good angle and also an advantage in distance.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
-With bases loaded the batter gets 6 balls before the walk. You know how awkward saying "4 balls and two strikes" is?

I can't imagine what the gains are in doing this. It amazes me some of the things that PARD's or league leaders think will be beneficial to "developing" players.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Do you have, or can you borrow, the "Umpire Edition" of the ASA rule book? There is a synopsis of one-man mechanics there.

On a ground ball with no runners on base, the prescribed mechanic is to exit to the left of the catcher and head for the area between the pitching circle and first base.

That should give you a good angle and also an advantage in distance.
Found it!!!!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Looks like I have some reading to do......all 1 page of it.

Last edited by Julio Caliente; Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 12:09pm.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
You don't have the umpire edition of the ASA Official Rules of Softball book? How can you check a ruling you may have missed, then?? You really should get a hold of one of these (you can purchase them through the ASA website if your association doesn't supply you with them.) I think that you will really be surprised at how much different the mechanics are for the 1 man umpire system in nearly every situation you can imagine, than, say, the two man system.

1 man mechanics will really tire you out if you use the correctly and are having to work five games, as you stated you did. There is a lot, and I mean a lot, of hustle involved in applying them correctly.

I had it, but was looking in the wrong spot I have both the 2007 Rule CD and the ASA Mechanics ver 5-7. It just wasn't where I thought it was. The mechanics CD has a cool little interaction for 2 man and 3 man.

As for wearing me out, I was hurting. The last game I can know I wasn't hustling like I needed to be. There just wasn't an energy in the tank anymore. I still don't think I did a bad of a job though, and it really helped that one team was up 11-0 after the first inning.