View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

1) If you're working solo and still going straight up the line on this play, you are NOT doing "what ASA says"!

Check your manual for one-umpire mechanics. They are quite different from the two-man version.

2) I had this same thing happen yesterday. The first two games I did were 18U, with quality pitchers throwing at good velocity, with plenty of movement, and hitting their spots. These games were crisply played and an absolute joy to work.

The next two were 12U with pitchers that were lucky to find the plate, sloppy defense, poor base running and weak hitting. Rather grueling affairs- but they still require your best effort!

A batter or two to adjust sounds about right. Other than that, I could only suggest: Being aware of the age or ability differences going in; Getting a gauge on the pitchers as they are going through their warm-ups; Starting off the game with an as "by the book" zone as possible; Making any adjustments early; Once you've adjusted, be consistent throughout the rest of the game; Don't make such gross adjustments that you're calling strikes on unhittable pitches- a foot outside or as high as the batter's eyes.

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 10:55am.