The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
What do y'all do with the lineup sheets/holder and bullet pencil? keep them in the ball bag? or go fishing around for them in your pants during a lineup change?
I never use a pencil; too likely to conflict with the coach's writing, break the point, etc. I have even heard coaches swear that a change was accepted and then erased. Always use a pen, preferably red, so my markings are clearly different than the coach's. It belongs in the penholder slot sewn in the ball bag. I also doublebag; but keep one pen in each, so that a wild ball doesn't break both of them at once. My left bag also keeps a cheap pair of reading glasses, and a back-up indicator.

Personally, I prefer my lineupcard holder in my back right pocket. It's always there, so no digging necessary. I keep it there even when I am on the bases, because it also holds my bat ring and bat list; and it does a good job of keeping plate brush bristles out of my butt.

Other than that, where I call ball, it is just considered unprofessional by UIC's, evaluators, and conference coordinators to keep any of those items in a shirt pocket. It has been explained to me that if they are there, they are there just for show; kind of like the breast "pocket" in a suit or sports jacket.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Dave,
Agreed. No dryer means no pretty punk buttons. However, the sizing issues remain.
I never use a dryer for any of my umpiring clothes. Never have. Yet I still get the pink-lavender buttons.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
What do y'all do with the lineup sheets/holder and bullet pencil? keep them in the ball bag? or go fishing around for them in your pants during a lineup change?

I also wear two ball bags, and it is pretty much the same scenario as Steve mentioned, though no mints!

Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I've been told that the "funky colored buttons" are a result of sun exposure, creating an ultra-violet reaction with materials in the plastic.

Strangely, among my "official" ASA shirts, all purchased through the "Officials Gear" website over consecutive years and all cared for exactly the same, some have the faded buttons and some do not.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Our ASA state commissioner requires that we wear the shirts he sells with his logo on them (not the official ASA letters). Whatever, the shirts seemed to be the same shirt sold by official ASA, but with different embroidery, until (apparently due to repeated requests from some umpires) he added a breast pocket and moved the logo to the opposite side. I don't know if the new shirts are from a different manufacturer or not. I don't own any of the "new" style.

But, anyway, the old style (same manufacturer as official ASA) are very nice shirts that wear forever but have several annoying aspects... the overly large collar and the buttons that go pink.

And, don't tell me if I launder the shirt "properly" (even though there is no agreement on what that means) that I won't have a problem with pink buttons. When have you ever seen a group of men who know how to do laundry "properly"?

BTW, I've never used bleach or detergent containing bleach, always drip-dried my shirts and McDavid wear - I didn't want the heat or the anti-static sheet messing with the fabric's wicking qualities. I have no REAL idea whether that caution was justified, but that is what I did. And, I still got pink buttons.

All that said, the worst shirts out there for wear and looking good after more than one season are the ones from Honigs. Not only do they have the ugly Honigs logo on the back, the fabric just does not look good around the collar area after a season. It gets the fuzzies very easily.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

non of my softball shirts have the pocket. Some of my baseball ones do, and I do use it occasionally. I may drop my indicator into in between innings depending on what I am doing (getting balls, water, etc.) That way I am not digging in my pants pocket or ball bag trying to find it. I will also use back pockets of my pants for the same thing. It just depends on what mood I am in I guess.....
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Personally, I prefer my lineupcard holder in my back right pocket.
I was told at an ASA National School, several years ago, to put nothing in any of your pockets. "That is why you have a ball bag". With that in mind, I have always used the pockets in the ball bag to hold my lineup card holder, as well as an extra indicator, a flipping coin, and the bat ring.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
I was told at an ASA National School, several years ago, to put nothing in any of your pockets. "That is why you have a ball bag". With that in mind, I have always used the pockets in the ball bag to hold my lineup card holder, as well as an extra indicator, a flipping coin, and the bat ring.
Okay, this should spark a little discussion. Then where to you put your brush and bat ring when working the bases?
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Okay, this should spark a little discussion. Then where to you put your brush and bat ring when working the bases?
Sorry, left out a couple of key points.
1) This was meant for PU's who were 'seen' with lineups sticking out of shirt pockets and back pants pockets.
2) I umpire in MN, and we almost never have BU's.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Just another case of an individual UIC stating a personal preference, rather than an ASA standard.

I have now umpired in 23 ASA National Championship Finals, more than several at the higher levels (Men's Masters 40+ Fastpitch, Men's A Fastpitch, 18 Gold, Mens' Major Modified, Men's A Modified, Men's 10 Man Modified), and have never kept my lineupcard holder anywhere BUT my right rear pants pocket. It has never been mentioned in any written or verbal evaluation as being inappropriate; and, trust me, I have seen pretty insignificant stuff written up.

For example, one year it was 97 degrees with 90%+ humidity, working 18 A National in Columbus, GA, I was plate umpire drying my head with a towel between innings when a coach came up and gave me a substitution. I left the towel on my head to finish, set the hat I was holding on top of the towel momentarily, pulled the lineupcard holder out of my back pocket and recorded the change. Then I removed the towel, finished mopping, put the towel away, reported the change to the other team. After the game, the NUS UIC told me he watched that exchange, and thought it umprofessional of me to leave the towel on my head when interrupted by the coach. This was also on my written evaluation; but, no mention that the lineupcard holder was (incorrectly?) in my pants pocket. Personally, I thought the comments were petty, given the conditions; but, still apparently nothing wrong with the location of the holder.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 01:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I always read the softball threads to remind me how different softball umpires are than baseball umpires.

We don't worry about these things, I guess. I've seen baseball umpires use back pockets, ball bags, shirt pockets for lineup cards. Me? I use a shirt pocket or plate coat pocket and it's why I don't wear a pullover jacket on the plate -- I must have my pen and lineup card in my shirt/coat front pocket and my pullovers don't have pockets.

So let me turn this around and ask a question -- why would anyone care where a lineup card is kept as long it's easily accessible by the umpire when needed?
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Shirt quality vs. $$$

I have 4 different mfg.s shirts of whick I like the Cliff Kleen and the super-soft shirts from www.theofficialschoice.com. The shirts are great quality, soft & cool for summer time, and they have a long sleeve shirt that is nice for the cool to cold days. Pricer are "right" too. Try one, you will like it. As a suggestion, do not have them put the number's on. Have it done somewhere locally. That part I was unhappy with. Other wise, great shirts.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 02:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Our ASA state commissioner requires that we wear the shirts he sells with his logo on them (not the official ASA letters). Whatever, the shirts seemed to be the same shirt sold by official ASA, but with different embroidery, until (apparently due to repeated requests from some umpires) he added a breast pocket and moved the logo to the opposite side. I don't know if the new shirts are from a different manufacturer or not. I don't own any of the "new" style.

But, anyway, the old style (same manufacturer as official ASA) are very nice shirts that wear forever but have several annoying aspects... the overly large collar and the buttons that go pink.

And, don't tell me if I launder the shirt "properly" (even though there is no agreement on what that means) that I won't have a problem with pink buttons. When have you ever seen a group of men who know how to do laundry "properly"?

BTW, I've never used bleach or detergent containing bleach, always drip-dried my shirts and McDavid wear - I didn't want the heat or the anti-static sheet messing with the fabric's wicking qualities. I have no REAL idea whether that caution was justified, but that is what I did. And, I still got pink buttons.

All that said, the worst shirts out there for wear and looking good after more than one season are the ones from Honigs. Not only do they have the ugly Honigs logo on the back, the fabric just does not look good around the collar area after a season. It gets the fuzzies very easily.
Honig's has changed the collar material to match the material used by Cliff Keen. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best shirt on the market now.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64
I have 4 different mfg.s shirts of whick I like the Cliff Kleen and the super-soft shirts from www.theofficialschoice.com. The shirts are great quality, soft & cool for summer time, and they have a long sleeve shirt that is nice for the cool to cold days. Pricer are "right" too. Try one, you will like it. As a suggestion, do not have them put the number's on. Have it done somewhere locally. That part I was unhappy with. Other wise, great shirts.
And if I am not mistaken, doesn't Cliff Keen also have an exposed logo on all of their shirts, ala Honigs?

Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
And if I am not mistaken, doesn't Cliff Keen also have an exposed logo on all of their shirts, ala Honigs?
They have a small patch at the hem of one sleeve. Honig's has a larger embroidered logo below the collar on the back.

Last edited by Dakota; Wed Sep 12, 2007 at 02:34pm.