The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Shirt quality versus pricing?

Any opinions on where to buy the best "bang for your buck" shirts.... I purchased my shirts from *gasp* Academy for around $20 bucks apiece last year and most of them have those nasty little "pulls" in the material... So its time to get some new ones.
I've looked online and without actually being able to feel the material and compare,"and ignoring all the advertising hype" whats the best ones to get? durability is a issue as is climate..it's pretty hot and humid 99% of the time down here in Louisiana.
So any help in this area would be appreciated.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
Any opinions on where to buy the best "bang for your buck" shirts.... I purchased my shirts from *gasp* Academy for around $20 bucks apiece last year and most of them have those nasty little "pulls" in the material... So its time to get some new ones.
I've looked online and without actually being able to feel the material and compare,"and ignoring all the advertising hype" whats the best ones to get? durability is a issue as is climate..it's pretty hot and humid 99% of the time down here in Louisiana.
So any help in this area would be appreciated.
I have been using the Dalco shirts exclusively for about 10 years now, and I really like their weight and performance. Here is a link to a place that sells them about as reasonably as anywhere I have found.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Thanks.. I took a look like you suggested. on the plus side a few of the guys I worked with this weekend have those same shirts and had some good things to say.
Thanks again.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

You are certainly welcome.

Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I have been using the Dalco shirts exclusively for about 10 years now, and I really like their weight and performance. Here is a link to a place that sells them about as reasonably as anywhere I have found.

a big $1.05 less than ASA's price for plain powder blue shirts...and their shirts last forever!
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
a big $1.05 less than ASA's price for plain powder blue shirts...and their shirts last forever!
Sorry, whose shirts last forever?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Sorry, whose shirts last forever?
I've got some ASA shirts that I've had for 3 years, and they've held up just fine. It's a matter of taking good care of them. I use color-safe Tide, and I never put them in the dryer. My buttons haven't turned pink, the powder blue hasn't faded, and the material still breathes as well as they did when they were new. I could probably get another couple of years out of them if I keep rotating them (I rotate between 5 shirts, calling between 200 and 250 games per year).

They certainly last longer than my hats...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Heck, I would pay several bucks more for a Dalco over the ASA shirts. To begin with, they are not as thick as the ASA shirts, which in the heat equates to much cooler. They do not have the oversized collar, but more of a regular polo shirt collar. They have a pocket, whereas the ASA ones don't. And, I have never seen the buttons on a Dalco shirt turn that pinkish lavendar color that the ASA buttons tend to do over time.

So, that is a big deal when you consider that the Dalco's are cheaper than ASA's as well.

Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Heck, I would pay several bucks more for a Dalco over the ASA shirts. To begin with, they are not as thick as the ASA shirts, which in the heat equates to much cooler. They do not have the oversized collar, but more of a regular polo shirt collar. They have a pocket, whereas the ASA ones don't. And, I have never seen the buttons on a Dalco shirt turn that pinkish lavendar color that the ASA buttons tend to do over time.

So, that is a big deal when you consider that the Dalco's are cheaper than ASA's as well.
My shirts have to have a pocket. although I wish they would put a little velcro closure tab (hidden inside the pocket) which would help keep things from possibly falling out when bending over to brush the plate.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I don't have any problem with the quality of the ASA shirts. My problems with ASA shirts are with the quantity, for lack of a better term. ASA has cut the sleeves a bit shorter than others. I suspect that the ASA sizes that are used are just slightly smaller than those used by others. An XL size to the ASA manufacturer is just a little bit smaller than an XL to Cliff Keen or someone else's manufactirer.
I don't care about a pocket, I would not put anything in a shirt pocket anyway.
I'll take quality over cost any day.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't have any problem with the quality of the ASA shirts. My problems with ASA shirts are with the quantity, for lack of a better term. ASA has cut the sleeves a bit shorter than others. I suspect that the ASA sizes that are used are just slightly smaller than those used by others. An XL size to the ASA manufacturer is just a little bit smaller than an XL to Cliff Keen or someone else's manufactirer.
I don't care about a pocket, I would not put anything in a shirt pocket anyway.
I'll take quality over cost any day.
My biggest problems with the ASA shirts are the shorter sleeves, tighter fit, color changing buttons, and that over-sized collar. I never use the pocket on any of my HS and college shirts, either.

Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My biggest problems with the ASA shirts are the shorter sleeves, tighter fit, color changing buttons, and that over-sized collar. I never use the pocket on any of my HS and college shirts, either.
I use Tide with the color-safe stuff, and I don't put my shirts in the dryer. My shirts no longer get the pink buttons, even after a few years of use.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do y'all do with the lineup sheets/holder and bullet pencil? keep them in the ball bag? or go fishing around for them in your pants during a lineup change?
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I use Tide with the color-safe stuff, and I don't put my shirts in the dryer. My shirts no longer get the pink buttons, even after a few years of use.
Dave,
Agreed. No dryer means no pretty punk buttons. However, the sizing issues remain.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
What do y'all do with the lineup sheets/holder and bullet pencil? keep them in the ball bag? or go fishing around for them in your pants during a lineup change?
I wear two ball bags. The right bag is for any spare game balls I might have and my brush. The left one has lineup card holder, 2 pens, a towel and a few mints.