The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

View Poll Results: When should an umpire make an interference or obstruction call?
Any time you see it, even if it clearly overrules the judgement of a primary umpire. 9 33.33%
Only when it is apparent that it was out of the scope of the primary calling umpire. 10 37.04%
Depends; not in this case. 6 22.22%
Depends; yes, in this case. 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
The crew obviously was in disagreement. Should the UIC have been called in? How should a "divided crew" situation be handled?
Either call in the UIC or U1's decision stands.

From Rule 10:
Quote:
Section 3. UMPIRE’S JUDGMENT.
B. Under no circumstances will any umpire seek to reverse a decision made by an associate, nor will any umpire criticize or interfere with the duties of their associate(s) unless asked to do so.

C. The plate umpire may rectify any situation in which the reversal of an umpire’s decision or a delayed call by an umpire places a batter-runner, a runner or the defensive team in jeopardy.
"B" is pretty clear. The PU overstepped his authority. For that matter, so did U3 in going to PU in the first place. My guess - these two were buds and U1 was the odd man out (just based on how everyone's actions were described here). "C" might give PU a one-legged stool to stand on by trying to argue that U3's call was reversed, but it wasn't - it was a separate call, not a reversal of the out/safe judgment.

The tournament UIC can step in, but not the PU. JMO. Many of you have far more experience than I in these kinds of situations...
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
The tournament UIC can step in, but not the PU. JMO. Many of you have far more experience than I in these kinds of situations...
As a UIC, I'm not going anywhere near the field until requested by a member of the crew, not a player, coach or parent. If I'm near the field at the time of the play, I will disappear because if noticed, the coaches are heading in my direction and that is not the way it works.

If I ever need to talk to a crew about something that cannot wait until after the game, I will take them some water between innings and have a very relaxed discussion with the crew. Of course, I will take them water anytime they need it, not just when there is an issue.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
As a UIC, I'm not going anywhere near the field until requested by a member of the crew, not a player, coach or parent. If I'm near the field at the time of the play, I will disappear because if noticed, the coaches are heading in my direction and that is not the way it works.

If I ever need to talk to a crew about something that cannot wait until after the game, I will take them some water between innings and have a very relaxed discussion with the crew. Of course, I will take them water anytime they need it, not just when there is an issue.
I can hear those Delaware umpires now. "Oh no, here comes Mike again. And he is carrying water. Wonder what we f-ed up this time. "

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.