The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

During the post game last night, my partner asked me if I felt he had jumped any of my calls. I told him the only ones I noticed were a couple of travel calls. But, I told him, I didn't mind because there was a lot of hand motion at the time and I was watching for fouls. I felt that the traveling calls were something he could better see because of his distance. (Keep in mind that I was at the wideout and there was no room in this gym to move back from the play.) I was probably less than 10 ft from the play.

He said I should probably also be able to get the travel calls by focusing at the waist rather than at the shoulders.

What is the general thought of those of you here?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think we should call traveling in our partner's area. Every time I have had a partner call a traveling in my area, it was a bad call. If you are watching the same players in my area, then who is watching your area?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

I personally cannot call a travel just by the movements of the waist. I need to see the feet. I try to give some room between me and the ball carrier when he's in my primary so i can see his whole body.

As for calling in my partner's primary, if there's something obvious, or off-ball that he/she missed, then its got to be called. This is what my interpreter told us to do. The only exception to this would be the out of bounds call. I can't stand it when my partner calls the ball out on my line.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I was told if your looking out of your area, you will find something to call. Then who will call the action in your area?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodego
I was told if your looking out of your area, you will find something to call. Then who will call the action in your area?
At our last general meeting this quote was given on this topic:

"Tell me when you are going to ballwatch, then I will know when to watch off-ball".

Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

In 3 Person.

It depends on what position you were and what mechanics you were using. Travels are good calls coming from the Center and Trail (in the Lead's area). Many time the lead has bodies in front of them and they do not see the entire play and catch the end of the action. Travels are usually the most common violation in another partner's area. At least the ones I see.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: In 3 Person.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
It depends on what position you were and what mechanics you were using. Travels are good calls coming from the Center and Trail (in the Lead's area). Many time the lead has bodies in front of them and they do not see the entire play and catch the end of the action. Travels are usually the most common violation in another partner's area. At least the ones I see.

Peace
On rebounds and put backs, I can see T making a travel call by the basket, on the L side of the basket. But, not the C. I don't believe a Travel is a "got to get" call in your partner's area.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: In 3 Person.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson

On rebounds and put backs, I can see T making a travel call by the basket, on the L side of the basket. But, not the C. I don't believe a Travel is a "got to get" call in your partner's area.
What do you think the C does? That is the whole purpose of the C official. Not saying you call on the T and L's side of the 3 point line in the corner, but if it is near the paint and the C has no competitive matchup in their area, that is who is going to make that call. Most of the C's calls are going to be off ball many are going to be out of their area. Because if the ball is moved to the C's side, the L often is going to rotate.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

On certain type plays the C should watch, such as when the post player turns away from the L, toward the center of the paint,. Both the L and T maybe screened out and the C is the only one who can see the Def. hack accross the arm. Let me ask you Rut, when is the last time you called a travel, from the C, in the L's primary?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Let me ask you Rut, when is the last time you called a travel, from the C, in the L's primary?
My last game which was on Tuesday night. Because the L's side of the lane (in the paint) is the L's primary.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

HHmmmm, Not me.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I had one yesterday. Lower level varsity game, I had never met my partner. About two minutes into the game partner gets down to endline area on a fast break, stampede style, cluster of players. As Trail I was approaching the division line and I see big center do the Flintstone Run (3-4 steps) before going in for (made) lay-up. Tweet! (me).I wipe out basket, give travel call (see look of anger/horror/insult? on partner's face). Next dead ball, partner was in my face stating, "Most partners would eat you alive for making that call in their area." I said, "I saw the travel and thought you were screened out." Reply was, "No, she didn't travel and don't EVER call in my area again." She DID travel, No, she DIDN'T, so I dropped the subject. (Oh my God, this is going to be a long game)

To be honest, I rarely call my partner's area as I have learned to watch my OWN area and not be a ball follower.However, contrary to my lecture, about 99% of refs I work with will pre-game to "Call anything obvious they may miss in their area if I see it, this is NOT an ego contest." Anyway, this average ref who has the illusion of being superb made several mechanics mistakes (confused on switching) and tried to boss me around, directing me to have "good time management" (hurry up is more like it) probably because the whole thing had become an embarassment (mostly caused by these militant actions). I remained calm and was not intimidated (but was glad when it was over).

By the way, when I work with another ref who does something to frustrate/anger me, my reaction is never harsh and belittling like that. I can get my point across (if necessary) without being rude and overbearing.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I had one yesterday. Lower level varsity game, I had never met my partner. About two minutes into the game partner gets down to endline area on a fast break, stampede style, cluster of players. As Trail I was approaching the division line and I see big center do the Flintstone Run (3-4 steps) before going in for (made) lay-up. Tweet! (me).I wipe out basket, give travel call (see look of anger/horror/insult? on partner's face). Next dead ball, partner was in my face stating, "Most partners would eat you alive for making that call in their area."

You might want to evaluate making AT&T calls. While I disagree with the method she took to communicate her dissatisfaction with you, I do think there is something to learn, that is IF you really want to better your game.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I had one yesterday. Lower level varsity game, I had never met my partner. About two minutes into the game partner gets down to endline area on a fast break, stampede style, cluster of players. As Trail I was approaching the division line and I see big center do the Flintstone Run (3-4 steps) before going in for (made) lay-up. Tweet! (me).I wipe out basket, give travel call (see look of anger/horror/insult? on partner's face). Next dead ball, partner was in my face stating, "Most partners would eat you alive for making that call in their area."

You might want to evaluate making AT&T calls. While I disagree with the method she took to communicate her dissatisfaction with you, I do think there is something to learn, that is IF you really want to better your game.

Wait just a second....this could be alright, depending on where you were when you made the call.

Was this a half-shuffle, or an obvious, multi-step, pack your bags, travel?

Did you run in, get good and close, and give a good, strong signal?

These are things to consider.

Last year, NCAA tournament, Elite Eight, I saw a similar play, and no cluster of bodies - train wreck on a transition layup - Lead has block - Ed Hightower comes sprinting in from beyond the arc, steps right into the middle of the paint, six feet from partner, and calls travel. Replay showed he was right. Gutsy call.

If a cluster of bodies means I miss an obvious travel, I WANT my partner to help on that one. The key is not to make the call from 60 feet away. But call it!

This "partner woulda eaten you alive" stuff is b.s. Do the right thing. Period.

But in this case, only if it was an OBVIOUS, blatant, bad travel.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think we should call traveling in our partner's area. Every time I have had a partner call a traveling in my area, it was a bad call. If you are watching the same players in my area, then who is watching your area?
Every time? C'mon Bart, who are you kiddin'?

I don't buy the "If you're watching his area, who's watching yours?" argument. Officiating basketball does not mean you have to stare only at your area. My field of vision does not automatically end where my area ends. It's impossible to do.

In three man, there's not always somebody in my area, when I'm at T. With the changed coverage and the elimination of the dual area, there's NO WAY the L can always focus on the upper body contact and watch the dribbler or post player for traveling. In these situations, the T has to help.

Now, I will say that if you go into someone's else primary and make a call, you'd better be 110% sure of the call. But when an obvious violation or foul occurs, we have a job to do. If it's in your primary and my secondary, I'll give you first shot. But I'm not going to let you make the crew look bad by passing on a call that I'm 110% sure is a foul or violation.