The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

[post deleted by user. Who cares what the fat guy in the Seattle area really thinks...)

Last edited by bkbjones; Mon Apr 30, 2007 at 02:56am.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_IN
Heck, I will take it one step further and suggest to you I will not wait for the runner to ask for time, I will just do it myself. As an example, runner on first, pick off attempt, runner slides in, and first baseman catches the ball. Thats an instant time call in my opinion.

All play is over, reset, and lets move on. Now obviously, if more runners are on base, you have to make sure there is no other action on the field. . . but after that, time can be a great way of keeping the game moving and flowing better.
I have to ask you what the purpose is in you killing the play at this point. It helps NOTHING, and potentially hurts. There's absolutely no reason for an "instant time call" here (nor a time-call at all).

Get in this habit, and one day you will stop play right as the R1 on third that you forgot about tries to score.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Time!!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_IN
Heck, I will take it one step further and suggest to you I will not wait for the runner to ask for time, I will just do it myself. As an example, runner on first, pick off attempt, runner slides in, and first baseman catches the ball. Thats an instant time call in my opinion.

All play is over, reset, and lets move on. Now obviously, if more runners are on base, you have to make sure there is no other action on the field. . . but after that, time can be a great way of keeping the game moving and flowing better.
calling time is a great way of keeping the game moving and flowing better ???

I think its just the opposite ...........

If you NEED to call time, then do it. if ya don't, then don't
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Why do you feel the need to call time in these unrequested situations? The ball is not dead - heck, the ball's not even to the pitcher yet. What's the purpose in stopping play - especially in the situation where the coach is telling a girl to advance!
Speaking coach-pitch, here in my home town in TN. all umpires (pre-season,)were instructed to call time when either the lead runner is making no attempt to advance for a few seconds or the ball is controlled in the circle. This applies both in regular play and in tournament play. If a coach is trying to get his player to advance but for some reason she stays on the base we are still to call time after a few seconds goes by.

The only time I had any negative feedback with this was early in the season when I didn't call time when there was a girl on 2nd and 3rd and a ball was hit in front of 3rd and the coach was holding the runners while the batter-runner was running to 1st. Just as the batter-runner got to 1st the fielder who was near 3rd base decided to throw the ball to the circle and the ball got a little passed her. All the runners passed the half-way line before the ball was finally controlled in the circle. The defensive coach asked why I didn't call time when the lead runner was being held for well over a few seconds. I explained the lead runner rule doesn't start until the batter runner reaches 1st base and in this case his fielder didn't hold the lead runner but chose to throw to the circle directly after the batter-runner got to 1st base. He understood and I made this a part of my pregame talks to other teams. ...Must hurry alone, ...Al
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

well coach-pitch (8U) is a little different IMO ... thats how we do it in my local league too ... we start the "real" game at 10U
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Speaking coach-pitch, here in my home town in TN. all umpires (pre-season,)were instructed to call time when either the lead runner is making no attempt to advance for a few seconds or the ball is controlled in the circle. This applies both in regular play and in tournament play. If a coach is trying to get his player to advance but for some reason she stays on the base we are still to call time after a few seconds goes by.

The only time I had any negative feedback with this was early in the season when I didn't call time when there was a girl on 2nd and 3rd and a ball was hit in front of 3rd and the coach was holding the runners while the batter-runner was running to 1st. Just as the batter-runner got to 1st the fielder who was near 3rd base decided to throw the ball to the circle and the ball got a little passed her. All the runners passed the half-way line before the ball was finally controlled in the circle. The defensive coach asked why I didn't call time when the lead runner was being held for well over a few seconds. I explained the lead runner rule doesn't start until the batter runner reaches 1st base and in this case his fielder didn't hold the lead runner but chose to throw to the circle directly after the batter-runner got to 1st base. He understood and I made this a part of my pregame talks to other teams. ...Must hurry alone, ...Al
I have worked coach pitch in the past with similar rules, and I think you did it right.
I also understand the question,
I am glad that you were able to explain the ruling in a fair and literate manner.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Oh, pardon me, I misread...I mistook the p for a b in "coach pitch."
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

A bad time to call time...

Earlier this week, I could have choked my partner for calling "time" an a most inappropriate time. Runner on third, ball four to batter who rounds first hard and fast in an obvious attempt to draw a throw. And she does!

The ensuing rundown took three throws to retire the runner and I'm scrambling to cover the play. Meanwhile, the runner on third tried to score, but didn't get a good jump and wound up back at third.

As soon as I banged out the batter-runner, there's a ruckus behind me. Offensive coach is running onto the field, pointing at the plate umpire and screaming, "He called time, he called time!".

I give him the stop sign and say, "Coach, stay off the field. We're going to sort this out right now", and headed straight for my partner.

Sure enough, he meekly admits that he had called "time" at the request of the defensive coach, who wanted to talk to his pitcher and was roaming out onto the field, just before the batter-runner reached first base.

Too bad he didn't signal it clearly or call it loud enough for the other umpire, the B/R, the runner, or the defenders to notice it! Could have saved us all a lot of running around!

Needless to say, we had a little talk about that one.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Ouch, Bret. I sure hope he bought.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
A bad time to call time...

Earlier this week, I could have choked my partner for calling "time" an a most inappropriate time. Runner on third, ball four to batter who rounds first hard and fast in an obvious attempt to draw a throw. And she does!

The ensuing rundown took three throws to retire the runner and I'm scrambling to cover the play. Meanwhile, the runner on third tried to score, but didn't get a good jump and wound up back at third.

As soon as I banged out the batter-runner, there's a ruckus behind me. Offensive coach is running onto the field, pointing at the plate umpire and screaming, "He called time, he called time!".

I give him the stop sign and say, "Coach, stay off the field. We're going to sort this out right now", and headed straight for my partner.

Sure enough, he meekly admits that he had called "time" at the request of the defensive coach, who wanted to talk to his pitcher and was roaming out onto the field, just before the batter-runner reached first base.

Too bad he didn't signal it clearly or call it loud enough for the other umpire, the B/R, the runner, or the defenders to notice it! Could have saved us all a lot of running around!

Needless to say, we had a little talk about that one.
Let me see if I get this.
The PU called time before the BR reached 1st , didn't check R1 , didn't help with the rundown , didn't yell to stop the rundown , didn't yell to prevent a play on R1 ; and oh yeah won't be your partner anytime soon .
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I'd work with this guy again. He was fairly new, but overall potentially a good umpire. When I went to him after the play, he knew right away that he had killed it too soon, seemed apologetic about it and, I think, learned a lesson he'll remember from now on.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

I had what turned out to be an amusing situation in a game
this year. A batter runner had a long single to the outfield and decided
to stretch it into a double. Unfortunately her legs slipped out from under her after she rounded 1st base and she tumbled (you know what over
teakettle) onto the infield. She rolled over and sat up gving the "T-sign"
for time out. I quickly assessed that she was not injured because she was
actually laughing about it, and denied any time out. The opposing team
meanwhile had relayed the ball back and she was tagged out. We both had a chuckle.
Of course had she really been injured I would have killed play right there
so that she could have been attended to.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al

8U is 8U. You do what you have to at that level. My comments above were for 12u and up.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN
THe problem with this is if that ball gets by the pitcher or another fielder you'll be hearing the 3rd base coach telling you that you're preventing his runner from advancing.Imho I wait till the pitcher has that ball in the circle.
I think the whole idea for having the hold the lead runner rule for the coach-pitch league is to familiarize the kids as to where the runners are so they can try to get them out, or stop their advancement, instead of just throwing the ball to the circle or 1st base only as they have been usually doing in T-ball. This better awareness of the runners makes for more action such as tagout attemps or throws to various bases. It was my bad that I failed to mention I was speaking coach-pitch.

This year In our 11u regular season fast-pitch we were told in a pre-season meeting of coaches and umpires that we are going to be using the Look-Back Rule. So far no one has violated it and been called out. If it does happen I expect plenty of fans, players and maybe even a coach or two to ask "WHAT JUST HAPPENED"?

Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park! ...Al

Last edited by Al; Mon Apr 30, 2007 at 09:34am.