View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
A bad time to call time...

Earlier this week, I could have choked my partner for calling "time" an a most inappropriate time. Runner on third, ball four to batter who rounds first hard and fast in an obvious attempt to draw a throw. And she does!

The ensuing rundown took three throws to retire the runner and I'm scrambling to cover the play. Meanwhile, the runner on third tried to score, but didn't get a good jump and wound up back at third.

As soon as I banged out the batter-runner, there's a ruckus behind me. Offensive coach is running onto the field, pointing at the plate umpire and screaming, "He called time, he called time!".

I give him the stop sign and say, "Coach, stay off the field. We're going to sort this out right now", and headed straight for my partner.

Sure enough, he meekly admits that he had called "time" at the request of the defensive coach, who wanted to talk to his pitcher and was roaming out onto the field, just before the batter-runner reached first base.

Too bad he didn't signal it clearly or call it loud enough for the other umpire, the B/R, the runner, or the defenders to notice it! Could have saved us all a lot of running around!

Needless to say, we had a little talk about that one.
Let me see if I get this.
The PU called time before the BR reached 1st , didn't check R1 , didn't help with the rundown , didn't yell to stop the rundown , didn't yell to prevent a play on R1 ; and oh yeah won't be your partner anytime soon .