The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Game ending scenario - runner goes into DBT

I brought this up once in the other thread, but didn't ask again there since it was a bit off the topic of the appeals and such.

Bases loaded, bottom 7, R1 is the winning run. 1 out. BR gets a walk. R1 crosses home. All other runners enter the celebration and do not advance to their bases.

In FP, this is a live ball situation. An appeal cannot be made until the runners are no longer eligible to complete their base-running duties. That can't happen until the runners enter DBT. However, if the runners abandon their attempt to advance and enter DBT, that is not an appeal. They are merely out.

Does the umpire declare them out rather than wait on the appeal? If not, why not?

If, in the celebration, one or more of the active runners pass each other, are they also declared out? If not, why not?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I brought this up once in the other thread, but didn't ask again there since it was a bit off the topic of the appeals and such.

Bases loaded, bottom 7, R1 is the winning run. 1 out. BR gets a walk. R1 crosses home. All other runners enter the celebration and do not advance to their bases.

In FP, this is a live ball situation. An appeal cannot be made until the runners are no longer eligible to complete their base-running duties. That can't happen until the runners enter DBT. However, if the runners abandon their attempt to advance and enter DBT, that is not an appeal. They are merely out.

Does the umpire declare them out rather than wait on the appeal? If not, why not?

If, in the celebration, one or more of the active runners pass each other, are they also declared out? If not, why not?
ASA Case Book 2005/06 Page 80, Play 8.6-1

Similar situation with two outs.....in one scenario the batter leaves the field, in the other, the runner on first leaves....

The ruling states that in neither case is it an appeal play and must be called by the umpire as soon as the offending player leaves the field. The same ruling could be extended to your scenario of a runner passing another runner
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

One word - booger! I'm not looking for any, are you?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
One word - booger! I'm not looking for any, are you?
What, exactly, was the point of that post?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
If I understand Irish correctly, I believe the point was, "Didn't see it, so I can't call it."

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
If I understand Irish correctly, I believe the point was, "Didn't see it, so I can't call it."
What an answer.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
What an answer.
It's common in clinics and amongst umpires to say "don't pick boogers" as a means of describing over officiating.

I'm not surprised you've never heard that term.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
It's common in clinics and amongst umpires to say "don't pick boogers" as a means of describing over officiating.

I'm not surprised you've never heard that term.
If you say so.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
If you say so.
Well, dammit, if you go looking for boogers you will find boogers. Every other umpire on here has found them and learned not to go looking for them.

Mike's answer not only made sense but was right on. And, as far as I know, "looking for boogers" is not some regional colloquialism. We use it in WA, they use it in DE, I've used it in TX and so have others, and even the Okies use it.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Well, dammit, if you go looking for boogers you will find boogers. Every other umpire on here has found them and learned not to go looking for them.

Mike's answer not only made sense but was right on. And, as far as I know, "looking for boogers" is not some regional colloquialism. We use it in WA, they use it in DE, I've used it in TX and so have others, and even the Okies use it.
John,
Add Pa to that list. It's a wide-spread phrase and is seems to be generally accepted & used.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

I understand the reference to not picking boogers here ... but not picking this particular booger can get you in trouble if the other team is paying attention. We discussed in the earlier thread that all runners must reach their bases or be subject to appeal. The problem on this one is that the BR should be called out BEFORE any appeal is necessary, and if I'm the coach on the other side, I'm going to expect you to do so.

I admit that I understand the motivation for ignoring this call --- I just don't know if I could actually do so on the field. Maybe that makes me OOO, I don't know - but this one just feels wrong to me to ignore.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I understand Mike's point. Taking the defense off the hook because they were not paying attention seems like over officiating. OTOH, it is the rule.

OTOH, again, the umpire's responsibilities at the end of the game are as Mike outlined. Are we actually supposed to track every runner in and out of the celebration to wait and see if they enter DBT? What if they all go through the line up hand-slap "good game" ritual that the kids do? I'll be gone before then.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Let's see...

No mention of B/R in the OP.

B/R touches 1st.. Runners from 1st and 2nd out for abandonment. Timing play, run scores , game over.

B/R fails to go to 1st.
B/R out for abandonment, 2nd out. Runners from 1st or 2nd out for abandonment, 3rd out, timing play. Run scores, game over.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolnojg
No mention of B/R in the OP.
???
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
???
He meant BR touching or not touching first base on the walk, I believe.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.