The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Well, actually the OP offered the possibility the ball hitting the ground in front of the plate as an IP. The first response separated the IP from dead ball. However, the recent responses were to Tom who stated he gives a DB signal on an IP. We were just seeking clarification to avoid confusion for any non-veteran umpire.

However, there is a prescribe mechanic for a ball hitting the plate or ground in front of the plate or the batter which is described on page 225 of umpire manual section of the 2007 ASA Umpire Edition of the rules book.

It is a good mechanic to use for all SP games whether stealing is being allowed or not. For years, umpires have been pointing to the plate, pounding their fists or making some other type of silly looking signal to indicate to the pitcher that the ball hit the plate. ASA has now provided a standard mechanic for this occurence and I see no reason why it should not be utilized when applicable.
Unless a pitched ball is illegal for another reason one that simply fails to get over the plate is a ball and is dead, unless there is stealing.

Page 225 refers to games with stealing and the prescribed mechanic has no meaning in games where there is no stealing, i.e almost all slow pitch softball games.

The umpire is under no obligation to explain, visually or verbally, why a ball is a ball,,,,,but the universal pounding of the fists is clear to all players,including the "umpires" at shortstop and in the outfield, that the ball did not cross the plate.

Whoever invented it should get royalties.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Unless a pitched ball is illegal for another reason one that simply fails to get over the plate is a ball and is dead, unless there is stealing.

Page 225 refers to games with stealing and the prescribed mechanic has no meaning in games where there is no stealing, i.e almost all slow pitch softball games.

The umpire is under no obligation to explain, visually or verbally, why a ball is a ball,,,,,but the universal pounding of the fists is clear to all players,including the "umpires" at shortstop and in the outfield, that the ball did not cross the plate.

I guess I don't see in the mechanics where "pounding the fists" is a prescribed mechanic... especially a "universal" one. Can you explain how that's done, or where in the umpire manual that it talks about that?

Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Excuse me for being a smart ***, but no ****! There had to be something put in place to accommodate the players and BU in the situation prescribed. That doesn't mean you just ignore it's value.

Quote:

Actually, the indication is that the ball hit the plate. Many lazy or intimated umpires point to the ground and say "short" when the ball hits in front of the plate.

Nonetheless, since you are on page 225 of the umpire manual, maybe you should check paragraph 11 on the opposite page.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I guess I don't see in the mechanics where "pounding the fists" is a prescribed mechanic... especially a "universal" one. Can you explain how that's done, or where in the umpire manual that it talks about that?

It is not in the manual.

It is simply a mechanic of experience that serves a purpose.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

"There had to be something put in place to accommodate the players and BU in the situation prescribed"

Sure, for games in which there is stealing. But since most games do not have stealing the mechanic is useless.

I never use a hand signal to describe the location of a pitch. I do use the fist hit to let everyone know the ball hit the plate.

If that is not your style, so be it. It is, after all, my game when I am behind the plate, and yours when you are there.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is not in the manual.

It is simply a mechanic of experience that serves a purpose.

bull****...

The jackass that invented that lazy, half-assed mechanic should be shot along with the moron who invented closed fist pounding for a full count....
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
bull****...

The jackass that invented that lazy, half-assed mechanic should be shot along with the moron who invented closed fist pounding for a full count....
If you dont like it, don't use it.

I think it is the greatest and most useful signal ever invented. And there is no doubt in anyone's mind, even in co-ed or church league as to what it means.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:37pm
(Something hilarious)

My Two Cents

1. Pounding the fists is sloppy, good-ol'- boy, and lazy-looking, is not an official mechanic, and does a disservice to those of us who strictly follow ASA mechanics while working ASA slow pitch games. There are people in my association who do this - they are, I'll be so bold as to say the EXACT same group of umpires who also never drop to the set position while calling pitches, point to 1B on most walks, and button hook in about 1/5 of the time when out on the bases. Odd how they are not the ones who are invited to work the state, regional, or national tournaments.
2. To be fair, the table on p. 187 of the 2007 Umpire Manual does say "slow pitch with stealing," when referring to the new mechanic. So it could be said that the book says to do it both ways.
3. If my UIC mandated what Mike is suggesting for games without stealing, I wouldn't mind, but that's not how it is as of this moment. I don't currently do or say anything other than "ball" when an otherwise legal, pitched ball hits the plate.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Thu Mar 22, 2007 at 10:46pm.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are correct. They should get royalties. Here is a quarter so he can go call all the other lazy ******* who use this mechanic.

The other thing that gripes me about it is when I hear this from players: "Why don't you give that signal like the other umpires do?"

Umpires that use unapproved mechanics, just like those who work a game in half a uniform, no uniform or a sloppy uniform, do a disservice to every other umpire, no matter if they wear a blue, red, white, gray, green, black or some other color shirt.

Why do some point to first? Do THAT many batters still not know the way to first base? Why do we hit our fist with our palm or palm with our fist on a ball that hits the plate? Would we use that signal on an uncaught foul ball when it strikes the ground beyond a base? why not? People use it all the time to signal a dead ball.

Just as it is either a ball or a strike, it is either live or dead. If I point at the ground, you can bet your a$$ it's a fair ball. Bull$hit mechanics bring all of us down, whether it is half-baked buttonhooks, mirroring your partner on foul ball calls (or even worse, the ball/strike count) and crappy mechanics.

More after supper...I just got home from a slow pitch double header. I pointed toward fair territory four times during the games - to signify foul balls. I did not hit my fist with my palm. I survived.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
You are correct. They should get royalties. Here is a quarter so he can go call all the other lazy ******* who use this mechanic.

The other thing that gripes me about it is when I hear this from players: "Why don't you give that signal like the other umpires do?"

Umpires that use unapproved mechanics, just like those who work a game in half a uniform, no uniform or a sloppy uniform, do a disservice to every other umpire, no matter if they wear a blue, red, white, gray, green, black or some other color shirt.

Why do some point to first? Do THAT many batters still not know the way to first base? Why do we hit our fist with our palm or palm with our fist on a ball that hits the plate? Would we use that signal on an uncaught foul ball when it strikes the ground beyond a base? why not? People use it all the time to signal a dead ball.

Just as it is either a ball or a strike, it is either live or dead. If I point at the ground, you can bet your a$$ it's a fair ball. Bull$hit mechanics bring all of us down, whether it is half-baked buttonhooks, mirroring your partner on foul ball calls (or even worse, the ball/strike count) and crappy mechanics.

More after supper...I just got home from a slow pitch double header. I pointed toward fair territory four times during the games - to signify foul balls. I did not hit my fist with my palm. I survived.
God forbid we should ever use a non-prescribed book mechanic that actually helped a player understand the game.

Why should we point to first base when a 35 year old office manager walks in her first game ever?

Or hit our fists to let a 60 year old minister know his pitch was a ball because it hit the plate?

Well, without the players enjoying the game, we have no job.

We owe everyone hustle, a knowledge of the rules, and the mechanics that puts us in position to see the play.

How we signal a strike or a sellout defines us and cannot ever be copied from a book written by a committee.

So, pardon me, if I use my individuality to make calls and to use signals the players can understand and learn from.

I am not changing after 35 years to become a clone.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
God forbid we should ever use a non-prescribed book mechanic that actually helped a player understand the game.

Why should we point to first base when a 35 year old office manager walks in her first game ever?

Or hit our fists to let a 60 year old minister know his pitch was a ball because it hit the plate?

We owe everyone hustle, a knowledge of the rules, and the mechanics that puts us in position to see the play.

How we signal a strike or a sellout defines us and cannot ever be copied from a book written by a committee.

So, pardon me, if I use my individuality to make calls and to use signals the players can understand and learn from.

No, please..DONT change..that makes it easy for us to identify who you are..... enjoy your church league.....
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
John, you pointed to fair territory 4 times to signal foul balls???????????? Hmmm, Dave
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're right, we're wrong.

Isn't that amazing, all the games I've worked and I just found out I'm supposed to look like a clone!

If you had any experience at the upper levels, you would see that all those who do it right, all do it a little bit differently. None of us look the same on the field, yet we all subscribed to the prescribed mechanics.

Just continue doing what you do. It actually makes the guys who do it right look that much better. And for that, thank you.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it is the greatest and most useful signal ever invented.
Are you serious?? Of all the signals we use, this is the greatest and most useful??? Wow!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
You're right, we're wrong.

Isn't that amazing, all the games I've worked and I just found out I'm supposed to look like a clone!

If you had any experience at the upper levels, you would see that all those who do it right, all do it a little bit differently. None of us look the same on the field, yet we all subscribed to the prescribed mechanics.

Just continue doing what you do. It actually makes the guys who do it right look that much better. And for that, thank you.
Mike,

The only right way is to hustle and know the rules. After that game management is determined by the umpire and the players in the game. A hand signal that helps them understand is hardly a tool that should be held against an umpire. The double fist is appropraite at some levels and not needed in others.

I simply thank whoever invented it becauase it has been a useful tool over the years in letting all the players in the field know what happened.