Thread: Asa Politics
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper
I'm sorry to say I'm not in the know on political issues.
1) I just heard that Commissioners set their own fees for Umpire registrations. If this is true why are there no firm rules from National on this issue.
Just how do you think state/metro associations operate? Where do you think the money comes from that allows "Host Exchange" umpire assignments? How do you think the associations pay for the training aids and equipment to display them? This part is not political, but part of doing business.

Quote:
2) How can I register with the cheapest Commissioner from anywhere & still get my National certification if I attend school.
An umpire must register with the local association where the umpire lives or works.

Quote:
3) Is there any truth to the matter of ASA setting a 6$ per child mandatory fee for providing asa insurance to all youth teams. I have the feeling this may be another local idea.
ASA Individual Registration Program provides a certain level of insurance with the registration. The player has the option of paying for additional insurance. However, it should be said that no where in the ASA Code does it require players/teams/coaches to purchase their insurance through ASA.