Thread: Asa Politics
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

You do have the option to register in an adjacent association if you live near the border, and umpire regularly there. But, why would you think you would benefit to simply register with ASA in an area where you don't umpire? That remote area won't be beneficial to you; you may be required to attend clinics or meetings there, they won't see you work, so won't assign you anywhere.

And your local area would wonder why it should assign you; you didn't register there, aren't participating in their clinics or meetings, etc. Seems to me that shopping for the best price is shortsighted; accept that there are costs of doing business in your area, just as in other areas.

On the issue of JO player registration, it is the goal of ASA to assure that all players are protected with accidental medical coverage while participating in ASA softball. That is hardly unique; nor is ASA the first. I am aware of several other sports whose associations have mandated specific insurance as part of registration (soccer, Pop Warner football, and on). If a local association requires individual registration for JO travel teams, then I guess you could say they are mandating insurance coverage.

In our state (Georgia), we do now mandate individual registration for youth travel teams, so that no child slips through the cracks. We believe in the national initiative as being what is best for our travel teams. We do not mandate individual registration for rec programs; the parks and rec agencies that run those programs typically provide an umbrella policy to protect those players. At the same time, the other sports that I referenced do still require insurance; which amounts to double (or even triple) insuring the same children for the same risks.