The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings concerning this change?
I like it 1 4.55%
I don't like it 14 63.64%
I would like it if there were no height restriction on the pitch 6 27.27%
Undecided 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

New ASA SP Plate Mechanic

ASA has changed the mechanic for the timing of when plate umpires are to drop to the set position on a pitch.

It was stay up until the pitch is determined to not be illegal, drop to the set position while following the ball, make the call.

Now, the umpire is to drop to the set position upon the first movement of the pitcher after the required stop to begin the pitch. Reasoning: Don't want the umpire moving while the ball is in flight and this is the way it is done in all other games.

My concern: Consistency is drilled into us as umpires from day one. The two most difficult tasks for a SP plate umpire is to determine 12' on the arc of a pitch and make a timely illegal call on a low pitch.

In an upright position, the umpire can use whatever tool, visual reference or just pure judgment to determine what is 12' on that day as long as it is consistent. If an umpire drops to the proper set position (top of the strike zone), every time s/he needs to look up and determine 12', it will be from a different point of origin as not all batters are the same height. I don't believe there is any way an umpire can be consistent and will, in turn, either stop calling IPs or be the target of some serious trash. IOW, I think this change makes the umpire's duty more difficult and provides no positive to offset what could be a negative factor in umpiring a game.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

HATE it...and WHY they did not ask me prior to making the change is beyond me
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
ASA has changed the mechanic for the timing of when plate umpires are to drop to the set position on a pitch.

It was stay up until the pitch is determined to not be illegal, drop to the set position while following the ball, make the call.

Now, the umpire is to drop to the set position upon the first movement of the pitcher after the required stop to begin the pitch. Reasoning: Don't want the umpire moving while the ball is in flight and this is the way it is done in all other games.

My concern: Consistency is drilled into us as umpires from day one. The two most difficult tasks for a SP plate umpire is to determine 12' on the arc of a pitch and make a timely illegal call on a low pitch.

In an upright position, the umpire can use whatever tool, visual reference or just pure judgment to determine what is 12' on that day as long as it is consistent. If an umpire drops to the proper set position (top of the strike zone), every time s/he needs to look up and determine 12', it will be from a different point of origin as not all batters are the same height. I don't believe there is any way an umpire can be consistent and will, in turn, either stop calling IPs or be the target of some serious trash. IOW, I think this change makes the umpire's duty more difficult and provides no positive to offset what could be a negative factor in umpiring a game.
And, if you have to look up at the 12 foot level, or even 10 feet; your head will be moving while the ball is in flight. I don't even think any drop is needed in SP, standing erect as we have is fine.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

If it makes me spill my beer I will be ticked off
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

That's why I just do fastpitch, we get set when the pitcher starts. About time you slow pitch guys caught up Ok that was just a joke don't attack! I do see your point, it will almost make the illegal pitch zone batter height + 6 feet. If the top of the batters strike zone is 6 foot tall then you are at your 6-12' pitch guidelines, but if it is 5' you are 5-11'.

Not knowing the game but will it really change the outcome that much? Doesnt the pitcher have the same sort of arc with each pitch and they adjust delivery to get the ball into the shorter players strike zone? Or do they keep the same arc out of the hand (approach 12' each batter) and then have an adjustment to make the ball start the decent to arrive in the shorter batters zone? Again, just an outside look from a fastpitch guy just wanting to think about softball on a cold snowy Indiana day!
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I think it's rediculous. However if you are quoting the new guide line word for word, they never mention when we can stand back up ?, so do what they want, then stand back up while the pitch is one the way & you're complying. I know crazy right !
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
And, if you have to look up at the 12 foot level, or even 10 feet; your head will be moving while the ball is in flight. I don't even think any drop is needed in SP, standing erect as we have is fine.
A fine example of an umpire making their job more difficult. Stay up and miss half the strikes.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
A fine example of an umpire making their job more difficult. Stay up and miss half the strikes.
It was the taught mechanic, the last I heard, and do you really think I miss any strikes?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was the taught mechanic, the last I heard, and do you really think I miss any strikes?
It hasn't been taught that way for the past twenty years and, yes, I think you probably do.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes.... you do..and I would love to know who taught you this.............
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Take a joke, guys, as in " " above. IOW, going along with the frequent comments that our job is to call strikes and get the 42.

If I'm wrong about the mechanic, then I'm wrong. That's how I remember it and I'll try to figure out from where or whom. Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I see that ASA is still selling the video "Slow Pitch Plate Mechanics and the One Man System" through their website.

Somehow I'm having a hard time imagining that the video has been edited to reflect the "new" mechanic described here!