Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Angry First Ejection

NSA Men'sModified

1 Out
R1 on first
B3 grounds to F6 who tosses to F4 for force; R1 does nothing to aviod collision and runs into F4; I call INT and ring up BR as well since it was an attempt to prevent a DP. As the sides changed the players from the penalized team were barking and shouting and as they were taking the field and began to converge toward where I was near 1B. The player coach was closest to me and was getting louder by the second. I explained the rule about avoiding the collision and he insisted that it was not there. Finally I put up my hands and said, "That's enough, let's play ball." I turned to walk to "A" position My partner who had walked out to where we were also said, "Let's play ball" and began to return to the plate. The player coach who had been so loud already yelled something to the effect, "It's not enough and I'm not ready to play ball." In my judgment it was an act of defiance and disrespect and I promptly showed him the gate. He did not want to leave and only did under threat of forfeit. He actually got in my face with the bill of his cap touching my cap after he was ejected.

What did I learn?
#1 Tell the team that you will only deal with one person and take that one person aside.

#2 Try not to let players play to the crowd in those situations.

I know it is HTBT but if you have any thoughts to help, I would appreciate them.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

sometimes a player (especially mens) is doing what they are doing knowing they are going to get ejected and in fact expect to be ejected and even want to be ejected.

Good job
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
What did I learn?
#1 Tell the team that you will only deal with one person and take that one person aside.
Absolutely correct. All discussions with coaches are one on one. In this case, your partner should have stepped in and kept all of the other players away from your discussion with the player-coach. If you're working solo, and more than one person attempts to engage in a discussion, forcefully announce that you will speak with one person only. If they keep pushing forward, start ejecting until they don't have enough left to play.
Quote:
#2 Try not to let players play to the crowd in those situations.
Again correct. Playing to the crowd is usually an attempt to show you up. This is an offense that warrants an ejection.
Quote:
I know it is HTBT but if you have any thoughts to help, I would appreciate them.
You made the correct call.
You explained the rule and the call.
Player-coach believes that no such rule exists.

Don't get into a p*ssing contest here (yes it is, no it's not, etc...)
Depending on what has happened in the game up to this point, you may choose to let the player-coach vent a bit, as long as he doesn't cross the line. When you decide it's time, tell him that he has had his say, the play is over and we are going to play ball. If he chooses to keep going after that, he has ejected himself.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yup - what Andy said.

I don't take a coach or player aside, I'll just tell them "coach, I'll be glad to talk with one. Send the others away and we'll talk." If nobody leaves the discussion area, it's time to play ball & I'll head to my position.