Thread: First Ejection
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
What did I learn?
#1 Tell the team that you will only deal with one person and take that one person aside.
Absolutely correct. All discussions with coaches are one on one. In this case, your partner should have stepped in and kept all of the other players away from your discussion with the player-coach. If you're working solo, and more than one person attempts to engage in a discussion, forcefully announce that you will speak with one person only. If they keep pushing forward, start ejecting until they don't have enough left to play.
Quote:
#2 Try not to let players play to the crowd in those situations.
Again correct. Playing to the crowd is usually an attempt to show you up. This is an offense that warrants an ejection.
Quote:
I know it is HTBT but if you have any thoughts to help, I would appreciate them.
You made the correct call.
You explained the rule and the call.
Player-coach believes that no such rule exists.

Don't get into a p*ssing contest here (yes it is, no it's not, etc...)
Depending on what has happened in the game up to this point, you may choose to let the player-coach vent a bit, as long as he doesn't cross the line. When you decide it's time, tell him that he has had his say, the play is over and we are going to play ball. If he chooses to keep going after that, he has ejected himself.