The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Matt, I think it is a valid question. As a lawyer and a grammarian, I see no reason why this rule cannot be read two ways:

Quote:
When a coach (a) intentionally interferes with a batted or thrown ball, or (b) interferes with the defensive team's opportunity to make a play on another runner.
or

Quote:
When a coach intentionally (a) interferes with a batted or thrown ball, or (b) interferes with the defensive team's opportunity to make a play on another runner.
In the first interpretation, the word "intentionally" is part of clause (a) but not clause (b). In the second interpretation, the word modifies both clauses.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, Alaska Ump, that was my point. I think the strict interpretation of the language of the rule is illustrated in your first example--the rule describes one situation of intentional interference and a second situation of interference without requiring it to be intentional.

I just wanted to know which way the rule was interpreted and enforced, because the rules were not written by grammarians and have some grammatical errors. So my question remains, are umpires taught (and is the rule enforced) that both types of interference MUST be intentional for the runner to be out, or only that interference with a batted or thrown ball must be intentional but that any interference with a play on the runner--intentional or not--results in the runner being called out?

If the former, then they should edit the rule to look like your second example (or just delete the second instance of the word "interferes") so the rule could not be interpreted two ways. If the latter, then the rule is written as it is to be enforced.

Which way is it interpreted and enforced?
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Ump
As a lawyer and a grammarian,
Well, the count is now 0-2!

Quote:
I see no reason why this rule cannot be read two ways
We've been through this quite a few times. The ASA rule book is meant to communicate in a simple manner, not to be a book on a summer reading list.

It is also meant to give direction, not create obnoxious legalities that have nothing to do with the game on the field.

Go read MLB's book or the NCAA football book and see what you get when you want the rules written in the manner you suggest.

Read the words presented and I think it reads quite clearly.

Then again, that is just my opinion and I am NOT a lawyer or grammarian, but a simple hi skewl gratiate.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Wait just one gosh dern second.

Are we sure this "grammarian" thing is a real thing you can be?
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Mike:

I think you misinterpreted my point. I am not suggesting the rulebook be rewritten. I am not suggesting that we add obnoxious legalities. I siimply noted that Matt is correct -- from a grammatical view, the rule in question is equally valid from either perspective.

I see no need to rewrite the rule. I will join Matt in asking which interpretation is preferred.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
I am just trying to clarify if the rule means what it says (that coach interference with a batted or thrown ball must be intentional for the runner to be out, but that any coach interference with a play on a runner results in the runner being out) or if it was intended to mean that intentional coach interference with a batted or thrown ball or a play on the runner results in the runner being called out but unintentional interference in any of those cases does not.
Okay, let's break it down:

First point

"When a coach intentionally interferes with a batted or thrown ball",

"OR"

Second point

"interferes with the defensive team's opportunity to make a play on another runner".

Clarification

"A batted or thrown ball that unintentionally hits a base coach is not considered interference".

I don't see any glaring grammatical shortcomings and the punctuation pretty much breaks the first sentence down to two distinctive independent scenarios connected by the disjunction "or".
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, now I understand!

If you intentionally hit a coach with a ball, thats interference.

Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Ah, now I understand!

If you intentionally hit a coach with a ball, thats interference.

Actually, I would not put that by some people to coach. "Just try to hit the coach with the ball" could become a defensive strategy if the rule did not require intent.

Don't think that is so far fetched as we all know there are coaches who tell their catchers to just nail the BR in the back and look for the call.