Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Batter runs to 1B on 2 Strikes

Had an interesting play yesterday.
How would you rule?

ASA 14U
2 outs, R1 on 1B
2ball/1strike count on batter
Batter swings at strike two, F2 misses the ball, batter runs to 1B!!!
F2 throws into right field
R1 ends up @ 3B, BR on 2B

When play ended I ruled R1 remains at 3B (figuring ball was live when F2 threw into right field)
BR to return to the plate with 2-2 count.

Interested in different opinions.
Thanks
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good call! I agree with your ruling not that anyone cares. The batter running to first means nothing. He comes back to the plate. Since F2 threw it into the outfeild its still live.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I agree
It seems to me the catcher new the call and tried to get an out on 2nd but threw wild .

Change slightly if I may and we have had this discussion before .
If catcher threw to 1st on a wild pitch to get an out when on strike 2 ball 2 would we have intereference on the batter as he/she confused hindered or interefered with the catcher making a play .
In this case confused , yes as throw was to 1st not 2nd where the out could have been made .
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debeau
I agree
It seems to me the catcher new the call and tried to get an out on 2nd but threw wild .

If catcher threw to 1st on a wild pitch to get an out when on strike 2 ball 2 would we have intereference on the batter as he/she confused hindered or interefered with the catcher making a play .
In this case confused , yes as throw was to 1st not 2nd where the out could have been made .
what?

if you are saying what I think you might be saying.. I will staight up disagree. I'm not calling INT for the def on a brain fart. Im not bailing them out.

And yes we've had this discussion a million times and always the Ifs for Int (who knows, might even get an IF for USC).

This play doesnt happen without an E2; therefore, the Def can pound sand, not look to me.

Also.. RF indicated throw to first to me..
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
I knew I would get a quick reaction .
I might bring that up in my clinic I am attending from tomorrow and see what the answers are
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree

Speaking ASA, This is most definitely NOT interference. The rule book specifically excludes this situation from the interference rule.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
I knew I would get a quick reaction .
I might bring that up in my clinic I am attending from tomorrow and see what the answers are
OK, you do that.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Speaking ASA, This is most definitely NOT interference. The rule book specifically excludes this situation from the interference rule.
Well, actually it doesn't. The rule book covers a retired batter running an an uncaught third strike when not entitled to advance to 1B. It does not cover a batter running on the wrong pitch.

However, I would rule in the same manner. Defense needs to know the circumstances surrounding the play.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree
Remember, the defense has just as much responsibility to know the game situation as anybody. They should know the actual count. If they don't, there is no way that they are going to get rewarded for their failure to have their head in the game.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Well, actually it doesn't. The rule book covers a retired batter running an an uncaught third strike when not entitled to advance to 1B. It does not cover a batter running on the wrong pitch.

However, I would rule in the same manner. Defense needs to know the circumstances surrounding the play.
I seem to recall a rule book exception that int cannot be called on the D3K situation. I don't keep rule books at the office but I am pretty sure that I read and I believe that Atlumpsteve provided the appropriate commentary on another thread back in Feb or March.

My point at the time was that running on K2 was not the same as running on the D3K when not entitled. Steve said that the information provided when the rule was changed indicated that the intent of the change was to keep Int from being called when the batter ran on the wrong pitch.

If someone has a rule book and can cite a rule (Fed or ASA) that would be helpful.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While it is in the retired runner section, the exception does not say retired, which is one of the arguments friend Sam makes over on eteamz. Where is the rule, then, that a batter running when not actually a BR is interference?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
While it is in the retired runner section, the exception does not say retired, which is one of the arguments friend Sam makes over on eteamz. Where is the rule, then, that a batter running when not actually a BR is interference?
Where is the "Retired Runner" section? What rule would that be?

The exception refers to a "BR" in this rule as a matter of convenience, but I think you know that.

To answer your question, there is no rule forbiding the batter from running which is why there is no call here.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where is the "Retired Runner" section? What rule would that be?
8-7-P, but you knew that!

Quote:
The exception refers to a "BR" in this rule as a matter of convenience, but I think you know that.

Quote:
To answer your question, there is no rule forbiding the batter from running which is why there is no call here.

Yes, I was just matching you technicality for technicality.

I agree - a no call (except maybe, "That's only strike 2")