Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Why is the pitcher's plate brushed ?
Thanks.
mick
Lunacy

I'll do it if Im in C, but most of the time just wipe the dirt off with my shoe, as opposed to bending all the way down to clean off something that will be covered in dirt before warm ups are over.

I will admit to being pretty anal about making sure home plate is clean though. Pitchers plate I dont really give a rats *** about as long as I can tell where its at.
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
So the BU can be evaluated on mechanics.
got that right, thats the ONLY reason.
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
Though there may not be a rule that specifically addresses covering bases or plates, I would think that the rules that prescribe a relationship with the PP (both feet starting within the width of the plate, forward step being within the 24" width of the plate, etc.) would require that the umpire be able to see the PP and it would be up to the umpire to require it be cleared off if it could not be seen.
Of course that's not a problem in NCAA as the pitcher isn't required to land within the 24". I did wonder about that rule in FED and ASA. I also wondered about what would happen if the opposing coach complained about that. I know if I were coaching, I'D complain about this.

If I were the PU, I'd have nothing too - but agree with the others that say they'd have a smaller pitcher's plate. I guarantee you if you call an IP for them landing outside of the PP and tell the coach you can't see the PP, the problem will take care of itself.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Of course that's not a problem in NCAA as the pitcher isn't required to land within the 24". I did wonder about that rule in FED and ASA. I also wondered about what would happen if the opposing coach complained about that. I know if I were coaching, I'D complain about this.

If I were the PU, I'd have nothing too - but agree with the others that say they'd have a smaller pitcher's plate. I guarantee you if you call an IP for them landing outside of the PP and tell the coach you can't see the PP, the problem will take care of itself.
I think in a "callable" IP for outside the 24", you definately know it when you see it because its so pronounced and obvious to everyone and its not affected by the status of the 18" pitcher plate within reason.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

My DD played yesterday at a field with a lot of soft dirt in a couple of places, and about half the pitcher's plate was covered wtih dirt (making it look like it was 12" instead of 24").

Blue said if it looks like she is not on the plate he will call an IP so we kept it clean enough for him to see.

Funny field, 2B was the same way and would get completely covered with dirt. It became completely obscured several times and had to be cleaned off. One time a runner slid into 2B on a steal before she got up she called, "Blue, time please--I can't see the base!"
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
You might want to review NCAA 10.4-a. Per my 2006 book, "In the act of delivering the ball, the pitcher must push off from the pitcher's plate and take one step / stride forward toward the batter and within the 24-inch length of the pitcher's plate."