The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Ruling??? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/28546-ruling.html)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:06am

Ruling???

Top of each inning, the pitcher comes out and covers the pitcher's plate with dirt.

Do you do anything about that or leave it alone as long as you are satisfied the pitcher is keeping contact with the PP?

Steve M Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:40am

I've got nothing on this. BU has brushed the pitcher's plate at each end of a half inning. Pitchers landscape - all the time, at every level. I see this as the same thing.

More frequently than this, I see the defense gather 'round the pitcher and they all see to kick dirt.

As long as the pitcher makes me belive she's in contact, I've got no problem with whether there's dirt on the pitcher's plate or not.

Andy Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M
I've got nothing on this. BU has brushed the pitcher's plate at each end of a half inning. Pitchers landscape - all the time, at every level. I see this as the same thing.

More frequently than this, I see the defense gather 'round the pitcher and they all see to kick dirt.

As long as the pitcher makes me belive she's in contact, I've got no problem with whether there's dirt on the pitcher's plate or not.

Agreed....without the exact wording in front of me, the only rule I could think of that would even remotely apply is the NCAA and FED rule about deliberately erasing lines on the playing field.

Mighty looooooooooong stretch to apply that here!

Dakota Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy
Agreed....without the exact wording in front of me, the only rule I could think of that would even remotely apply is the NCAA and FED rule about deliberately erasing lines on the playing field.

Mighty looooooooooong stretch to apply that here!

Well, you could always draw a line around the plate after you brush it off! :D

I wouldn't call any infraction with the pitcher covering the plate, but if I beleived it was to desguise an infraction (24" width or not being in contact), I might just have to "judge" the plate to be just a smidge on the small side. ;)

MNBlue Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M

Ditto. If I've cleaned the PP, I've done my job. Now, if the pitcher chooses to cover the PP, I don't have a problem with that, but the pitcher better make me believe there are no violations occuring. If I think that there are (and I'm not going to look any harder than normal), I certainly will not be giving the pitcher the benefit of the doubt after deliberately covering the PP with dirt.

mick Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:49am

Help me here, please.

Why is the pitcher's plate brushed ?
Thanks.
mick

argodad Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue
Ditto. If I've cleaned the PP, I've done my job. Now, if the pitcher chooses to cover the PP, I don't have a problem with that, but the pitcher better make me believe there are no violations occuring. If I think that there are (and I'm not going to look any harder than normal), I certainly will not be giving the pitcher the benefit of the doubt after deliberately covering the PP with dirt.

I saw this handled well at the NCAA D-II Nationals a couple of years ago. Pitcher was the MVP the previous year, and was playing for the defending champions. She obviously and intentionally covered the rubber with dirt right after U3 swept it. U3 called an IP on the first pitch. (BTW, I think she was right -- the back toe was probably 2-3" off.) The pitcher brushed the dirt off the rubber, brought her back foot up to a legal position, and the game went on. :cool:

Skahtboi Thu Sep 28, 2006 01:03pm

I am with those who have nothing here, except for maybe a slightly smaller PP as far as any pitching infraction goes. ;)

CecilOne Mon Oct 02, 2006 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
Why is the pitcher's plate brushed ?
Thanks.
mick

So the BU can be evaluated on mechanics. :D

mcrowder Mon Oct 02, 2006 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I am with those who have nothing here, except for maybe a slightly smaller PP as far as any pitching infraction goes. ;)

To much info, Scott!

Skahtboi Tue Oct 03, 2006 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
To much info, Scott!

D'oh!!!!! :eek:

IamMatt Wed Oct 04, 2006 03:55pm

Just curious, any one have a reason a pitcher would cover the pitcher's plate OTHER than to obscure an illegal pitching motion?

Though there may not be a rule that specifically addresses covering bases or plates, I would think that the rules that prescribe a relationship with the PP (both feet starting within the width of the plate, forward step being within the 24" width of the plate, etc.) would require that the umpire be able to see the PP and it would be up to the umpire to require it be cleared off if it could not be seen.

How might your reaction differ if the opposing coach objected to it?

What if it were not the pitcher but F5 or F3 that were covering her base with dirt so it could not be seen?

mick Wed Oct 04, 2006 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMatt
Just curious, any one have a reason a pitcher would cover the pitcher's plate OTHER than to obscure an illegal pitching motion?

...So the cleates can glide easier, faster, forwarder.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Oct 04, 2006 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMatt

Superstition and/or head games with the opponent

FUBLUE Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Superstition and/or head games with the opponent

I taught my pitchers to do it to see if the umpires in my area (when I coached high school) would call them for starting with BOTH feet off the pitchers plate!

BTW...none of them called it, and it was obvious they were stepping AFTER both feet were off the pitchers plate.