The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Catcher moves up into the batter's box

I was talking to a coach who had protested a rule interpretation a few weeks ago. The catcher was moving up into the batter's box, after the batter had moved up to the very front of the box. He felt the catcher had to stay outside the box. The protest was upheld on the grounds that the catcher could not move into the batter's box until the pitch is made.

Look at POE 8 ( for ASA )

(FAST PITCH ONLY)The catcher must remain in the catcher's box until the pitch is released. During a regular pitch to a batter, should the batter be in front of the batter's box, the catcher can move closer to the pate without penalty.

I've always read this as two different situations in the 1st 2 sentences. Does the catcher have to wait for the release of the ball or can she move up with the batter? I have seen posts on this, probably a year or 2 ago on this and I thought then that the consensus was the catcher could move up.
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBlue
I was talking to a coach who had protested a rule interpretation a few weeks ago. The catcher was moving up into the batter's box, after the batter had moved up to the very front of the box. He felt the catcher had to stay outside the box. The protest was upheld on the grounds that the catcher could not move into the batter's box until the pitch is made.

Look at POE 8 ( for ASA )

(FAST PITCH ONLY)The catcher must remain in the catcher's box until the pitch is released. During a regular pitch to a batter, should the batter be in front of the batter's box, the catcher can move closer to the pate without penalty.

I've always read this as two different situations in the 1st 2 sentences. Does the catcher have to wait for the release of the ball or can she move up with the batter? I have seen posts on this, probably a year or 2 ago on this and I thought then that the consensus was the catcher could move up.
I think you are correct for ASA, that the catcher can move up whne the batter does and I know that's correct for NCAA. I'd have to check on NFHS and PONY.
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I think you are correct for ASA, that the catcher can move up whne the batter does and I know that's correct for NCAA. I'd have to check on NFHS and PONY.
NHFS says that catcher must be inside lines of catcher's box when pitch is released. But the catcher's box really has only 3 lines - left, right, and back. IMO, the depth of the catcher's box is 17' - 7' batter's box and 10' catcher's box. She can go as far forwards as she wants until she obstructs the batter.

WMB
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd have to check on NFHS and PONY.
PONY says the catcher must be in the box on the release.
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmatt
PONY says the catcher must be in the box on the release.
Actually, PONY and ASA's POE is exactly the same. PONY just adopted the wording verbatim and installed it in their POE's. So, if it's good for one, it's good for the other. My question still, is, can the catcher move up before the pitch is released, if the batter starts out up in front of the batter's box.

I read the posts from WestMichBlue and CecilOne and I feel like I had a good handle on the interpretation. It's the same as theirs.
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

The catcher's box is 10ft in length from the rear outside corners of the batter's box. According to POE -8, the catcher must remain in the box till pitch is released, however, if the batter moves to the front of the box the cather may move up without penalty. However, the batter still has the right to the enotre batter's box, and can move back at anytime. It's up to the catcher to avoid obstructon.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

I see nothing in any ruleset demarking the FRONT of the catcher's box. I see the width (inaccurately named the LENGTH above), and I see the depth of the back line. No front line. She can move up.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Hi guys. long time viewer- first time poster. In my Softball Canada rulebook ther'es a diagram of the batters box showing that its 10 feet deep starting from the back lines of the batters box, and 8 feet 5 inches wide (2 batters boxes, 2 six inch spaces and 1 plate). We have a rule similar to the one stated earlier. Ours defines the catchers box as "that area within which the catcher must remain until the pitch is released. The lines are to be considered within the catchers box."
If the catcher starts outside the lines ( my front line is 10 ft from the back one) I hold up the pitcher, reposition the catcher and away we go. If the catcher refuses to comply the pitch will be illegal.

I'm surprised that your interpretation differs from ours on this- usually we're very similar Or do the other Canadian blue think I'm out to lunch?
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

We have a diagram too ... but in the actual description of the box, there is a description of the back, and inside and outside lines - no description of the front - there is no front. The catcher is responsible for not getting hit by a bat - but other than that, there is no front.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
We have a diagram too ... but in the actual description of the box, there is a description of the back, and inside and outside lines - no description of the front - there is no front. The catcher is responsible for not getting hit by a bat - but other than that, there is no front.
Or at least the fair lines, catcher must be in fair ground.

ASA and PONY both say 10 feet from the rear of the batters boxes, so the front of the catcher's box is the rear of the batters boxes.
I can't find that in NFHS, but the diagram shows a 10' length back from the batters boxes, even though there is no line across the space behind the plate.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule 2-D : The cather's box shall be 10 feet in length from the outside corners of the batters' box and shall be 8feet 5 inchess wide. The box does have a front, just not lined. And the catcher may move up.

Last edited by blue; Thu Aug 10, 2006 at 05:31pm.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or at least the fair lines, catcher must be in fair ground.
Say what? ..................
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
ASA Rule 2-D : The cather's box shall be 10 feet in length from the outside corners of the batters' box and shall be 8feet 5 inchess wide. The box does have a front, just not lined. And the catcher may move up.
When are they allowed to move up?
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCanuck
When are they allowed to move up?
Whenever they please, but do so at their own peril.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Say what? ..................
facetious response to "there is no front"