The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard different views on this before but I want to know the latest feeling out there.If the catcher sets up on the far outside corner or even a little further where do you go.I always feel a little uncomfortable all the way over or back in a normal spot with basically no catcher in front of me.I'm just curious what everyone else is doing.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
I have heard different views on this before but I want to know the latest feeling out there.If the catcher sets up on the far outside corner or even a little further where do you go.I always feel a little uncomfortable all the way over or back in a normal spot with basically no catcher in front of me.I'm just curious what everyone else is doing.
I would stay in the slot even though the catcher is set up outside. I be a bit more relaxed toward the center of the plate, but I'm still going to be looking down the inside edge of the plate.

If the umpire moves over with the catcher and the pitcher brings it hard inside, the umpire may see nothing, but the back of the catcher's helmet. As close as the NCAA wants the umpire to get to the catcher, s/he may actually get hit by the catcher and lose any chance of making the call. If the umpire stays in the slot and it's an outside pitch, big deal. You see them the whole game even when the catcher is set up square behind the plate.

The batter's strike zone does not move, so why would the umpire. If you feel naked without the catcher in front of you, buy more and better equipment because it you need the catcher for protection, you may turn into a "peeker" and that is not a good thing.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I stay in the same place. I tend to be off the inside corner and more toward the center of the plate anyway. However, I'm happy if the catcher stays there all day. It's a great view of the pitch.

I have tried the pure slot position many times over the years and just can't get acclimated to it.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with greymule. The catcher can stay out there the whole game. Gives me a great view of the plate. I do work the slot so you really feel exposed but isn't that why I have spent the hundreds of dollars on equipment?
I have taken a couple of hits due to the catcher being outside and the pitch coming inside. Both times they were foul balls. I would rather have the catcher outside then working the slot inside.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Well, let's keep it unanimous. I stay in the slot and hope she's a good catcher. I've got pretty decent equipment, it's just the thought of her missing the ball. I'm not gun shy, I'll stay in there with my eyes open, it's just a mental thing. I don't like the thought of getting hit, even if it's in the shin guards, and I never feel a ball in the shin guards.

Slot all the way.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks guys I totally agree I guess what I meant was not oh I'm going to get hit just it felt like I wasn't in a good position.Its like you say take advantage of the good view!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I concur on staying in the slot !!
Most catchers will at least get the
glove on the ball and deflect it---
of course you hope the catcher
is RIGHT handed !!
(anyone who has worked with a
lefty catcher knows what I mean)
ps-------
I really hate it when the catcher sets
up inside and blocks my view-----
you have to move back a bit and
stand a bit higher, and if the batter
is crowding the plate it can be
very "annoying" !!
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I, too, stay in the slot.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

I stay in the slot, ... and really, really try to trust my catcher. Haven't been hit yet, but I have twitched now and then (I hate that!) on the hard, high inside one.
mick
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I guess we are all together on that. What about the catcher who moves inside, blocking the slot? I've always thought (and been taught, I think) that we should stay down, try to use whatever slot is left and if none, shift outside so you can see.
I only mention it to the catcher if I realize that some inside pitches I can't see are thought to be strikes by the catcher and pitcher.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
I guess we are all together on that. What about the catcher who moves inside, blocking the slot? I've always thought (and been taught, I think) that we should stay down, try to use whatever slot is left and if none, shift outside so you can see.
I only mention it to the catcher if I realize that some inside pitches I can't see are thought to be strikes by the catcher and pitcher.
Speaking ASA

If the catcher steals the slot, the umpire should stay in position as it relates to the strike zone, but go up and look down through the zone. Yes, you may lose your perception on the low pitch, but you will retain the remainder of the zone.

Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I'm gonna go against the grain a little bit here.

Regular season Little League in my area is not always of the highest caliber. If I know I have a decent catcher - I'll stay put. If I know the catcher was just thrown in that spot because nobody else wanted it - I'm moving over. Yes, my equipment is good, but that doesn't mean I want to test it every 4 pithes ;-)

All-Star tournaments - I stand my ground.

-Kono
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kono
but that doesn't mean I want to test it every 4 pithes

-Kono
Hey, one out of four isn't that bad.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I stay in the slot no matter what. I had a pitcher that was really throwing some heat in a HS game, the catcher moved way outside of the corner to a right handed batter. I called time went out to the mound to dust off the rubber and told the pitcher that if she threw inside while I was unprotected her strike zone would become the size of a postage stamp. She giggled and said she under stood the reason. Boy she could nail that outside front corner and the batters could touch it. The pitcher went on to pitch four years of college ball and is a local HS coach.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 12:23pm
VaASAump

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodchuck
... The pitcher went on to pitch four years of college ball and is a local HS coach.
Hmm, wonder who that could be? Oh wait, this year I'm calling HS, so maybe I'll know who it is. As for the slot, I stay there. And if the catcher goes inside and takes the slot away, she'll soon move when she realizes that she also took my view of the strike zone away (can't call what I can't see).

And now, a word from our sponsor......

Serg