The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 01:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 477
FED rules both situations

Situation 1:

Runner on 1B. F1 in the set position with non-pivot foot slightly toward 1B. F1 takes the sign and quickly turns & throws to 1B in a pickoff attempt. He twists his non-pivot foot toward 1B without any step toward 1B and brings his pivot foot forward in front of the plate & slightly to the 3B side. Do you call a balk?

Situation 2:

Runner on 3B. F1 in the Windup. Takes the sign, begins his delivery by going into the set position, stops (complete & discernible) and then delivers the pitch. Do you call a balk?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 02:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bend, In.
Posts: 2,192
Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by Justme
FED rules both situations

Situation 1:

Runner on 1B. F1 in the set position with non-pivot foot slightly toward 1B. F1 takes the sign and quickly turns & throws to 1B in a pickoff attempt. He twists his non-pivot foot toward 1B without any step toward 1B and brings his pivot foot forward in front of the plate & slightly to the 3B side. Do you call a balk?
Yes, I would call this a balk. The pitcher has to step directly toward the base with the free foot and gain distance and direction before he makes the throw. 6-2-4(b)
Quote:
Originally posted by Justme
Situation 2:

Runner on 3B. F1 in the Windup. Takes the sign, begins his delivery by going into the set position, stops (complete & discernible) and then delivers the pitch. Do you call a balk?
Definetly a balk as you describe what happened. The pitcher may not go from the windup position to the set without first disengaging the rubber with his pivot foot. 6-1-2

Tim.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 03:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 477
BigUmp56 thanks for confirming my calls:

Believe it or not I called total of 7 balks on the same F1 for those two situations. It set a personal record for balk calls in one game and balk calls on one F1 for me. It was a JV tourney game, maybe I should have expected it. There were a few other times that I could have called a balk but the kid wore me out, I just stopped calling them. His team was being destroyed anyway, no run rule, and the coach wouldn't pull him......ugly game!

The baseball gods must have been angry with me!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Germantown, TN (east of Memphis)
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally posted by Justme
BigUmp56 thanks for confirming my calls:

Believe it or not I called total of 7 balks on the same F1 for those two situations. It set a personal record for balk calls in one game and balk calls on one F1 for me. It was a JV tourney game, maybe I should have expected it. There were a few other times that I could have called a balk but the kid wore me out, I just stopped calling them. His team was being destroyed anyway, no run rule, and the coach wouldn't pull him......ugly game!

The baseball gods must have been angry with me!
And, apparently, there wasn't much learning (or teaching) going on with respect to that pitcher. Did he ever inquire, or, did you ever explain WHY any of those balks were balks?

My guess is that you did.

And yet, he continued committing the same infraction, over and over again?

I once heard that the definition of insanity is that you keep doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wa.
Posts: 198
1. HTBT, sounds as if he could have used a perfectly legal jump step. I.e. both feet in the air, the pivot foot landing in a different spot, as well as the free foot landing in a different spot somewhere closer to 1b.
If he simply spun his feet with out leaving the ground, balk.

2. Always a balk.
__________________
SLAS
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 279
1) If the free foot doesnt' gain distance or direction towards first base, then it's a balk.

2) Balk- explicitly stated in the rulebook.



Good calls, justme!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1