The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Catcher moves up into the batter's box (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27739-catcher-moves-up-into-batters-box.html)

TexBlue Wed Aug 09, 2006 03:31pm

Catcher moves up into the batter's box

I was talking to a coach who had protested a rule interpretation a few weeks ago. The catcher was moving up into the batter's box, after the batter had moved up to the very front of the box. He felt the catcher had to stay outside the box. The protest was upheld on the grounds that the catcher could not move into the batter's box until the pitch is made.

Look at POE 8 ( for ASA )

(FAST PITCH ONLY)The catcher must remain in the catcher's box until the pitch is released. During a regular pitch to a batter, should the batter be in front of the batter's box, the catcher can move closer to the pate without penalty.

I've always read this as two different situations in the 1st 2 sentences. Does the catcher have to wait for the release of the ball or can she move up with the batter? I have seen posts on this, probably a year or 2 ago on this and I thought then that the consensus was the catcher could move up.

CecilOne Wed Aug 09, 2006 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexBlue
I was talking to a coach who had protested a rule interpretation a few weeks ago. The catcher was moving up into the batter's box, after the batter had moved up to the very front of the box. He felt the catcher had to stay outside the box. The protest was upheld on the grounds that the catcher could not move into the batter's box until the pitch is made.

Look at POE 8 ( for ASA )

(FAST PITCH ONLY)The catcher must remain in the catcher's box until the pitch is released. During a regular pitch to a batter, should the batter be in front of the batter's box, the catcher can move closer to the pate without penalty.

I've always read this as two different situations in the 1st 2 sentences. Does the catcher have to wait for the release of the ball or can she move up with the batter? I have seen posts on this, probably a year or 2 ago on this and I thought then that the consensus was the catcher could move up.

I think you are correct for ASA, that the catcher can move up whne the batter does and I know that's correct for NCAA. I'd have to check on NFHS and PONY.

WestMichBlue Wed Aug 09, 2006 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
I think you are correct for ASA, that the catcher can move up whne the batter does and I know that's correct for NCAA. I'd have to check on NFHS and PONY.

NHFS says that catcher must be inside lines of catcher's box when pitch is released. But the catcher's box really has only 3 lines - left, right, and back. IMO, the depth of the catcher's box is 17' - 7' batter's box and 10' catcher's box. She can go as far forwards as she wants until she obstructs the batter.

WMB

hotmatt Wed Aug 09, 2006 07:30pm

Quote:

I'd have to check on NFHS and PONY.

PONY says the catcher must be in the box on the release.

TexBlue Wed Aug 09, 2006 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotmatt
PONY says the catcher must be in the box on the release.

Actually, PONY and ASA's POE is exactly the same. PONY just adopted the wording verbatim and installed it in their POE's. So, if it's good for one, it's good for the other. My question still, is, can the catcher move up before the pitch is released, if the batter starts out up in front of the batter's box. :confused:

I read the posts from WestMichBlue and CecilOne and I feel like I had a good handle on the interpretation. It's the same as theirs.

blue Wed Aug 09, 2006 08:41pm

The catcher's box is 10ft in length from the rear outside corners of the batter's box. According to POE -8, the catcher must remain in the box till pitch is released, however, if the batter moves to the front of the box the cather may move up without penalty. However, the batter still has the right to the enotre batter's box, and can move back at anytime. It's up to the catcher to avoid obstructon.

mcrowder Thu Aug 10, 2006 08:29am

I see nothing in any ruleset demarking the FRONT of the catcher's box. I see the width (inaccurately named the LENGTH above), and I see the depth of the back line. No front line. She can move up.

BCCanuck Thu Aug 10, 2006 03:18pm

Hi guys. long time viewer- first time poster. In my Softball Canada rulebook ther'es a diagram of the batters box showing that its 10 feet deep starting from the back lines of the batters box, and 8 feet 5 inches wide (2 batters boxes, 2 six inch spaces and 1 plate). We have a rule similar to the one stated earlier. Ours defines the catchers box as "that area within which the catcher must remain until the pitch is released. The lines are to be considered within the catchers box."
If the catcher starts outside the lines ( my front line is 10 ft from the back one) ;) I hold up the pitcher, reposition the catcher and away we go. If the catcher refuses to comply the pitch will be illegal.

I'm surprised that your interpretation differs from ours on this- usually we're very similar :eek: Or do the other Canadian blue think I'm out to lunch? :confused:

mcrowder Thu Aug 10, 2006 03:39pm

We have a diagram too ... but in the actual description of the box, there is a description of the back, and inside and outside lines - no description of the front - there is no front. The catcher is responsible for not getting hit by a bat - but other than that, there is no front.

CecilOne Thu Aug 10, 2006 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
We have a diagram too ... but in the actual description of the box, there is a description of the back, and inside and outside lines - no description of the front - there is no front. The catcher is responsible for not getting hit by a bat - but other than that, there is no front.

Or at least the fair lines, catcher must be in fair ground.

ASA and PONY both say 10 feet from the rear of the batters boxes, so the front of the catcher's box is the rear of the batters boxes.
I can't find that in NFHS, but the diagram shows a 10' length back from the batters boxes, even though there is no line across the space behind the plate.

blue Thu Aug 10, 2006 05:28pm

ASA Rule 2-D : The cather's box shall be 10 feet in length from the outside corners of the batters' box and shall be 8feet 5 inchess wide. The box does have a front, just not lined. And the catcher may move up.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 10, 2006 06:44pm

Quote:

Or at least the fair lines, catcher must be in fair ground.

Say what? ..................

BCCanuck Thu Aug 10, 2006 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue
ASA Rule 2-D : The cather's box shall be 10 feet in length from the outside corners of the batters' box and shall be 8feet 5 inchess wide. The box does have a front, just not lined. And the catcher may move up.

When are they allowed to move up? :confused:

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCCanuck
When are they allowed to move up? :confused:

Whenever they please, but do so at their own peril.

CecilOne Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Say what? ..................

facetious response to "there is no front"