The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Call

Bases loaded, two outs, tied score,10th inning.

Ball four is called on the batter who proceeds to celebrate. PU steps around to the front of the plate to watch R1 score while her teammates joined in the batter's celebration a few feet up the first base line.

Defense coach approaches the plate umpire and protests that the BR never touched 1B. Okay, DMC, should have waited.

When the celebrating players hear the coach, a couple shove the batter toward 1B.

Your call. Game over or are you going to the 11th?
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
What time is it and do I need a bathroom break? LOL

I hope I didn't see the assist (once again, kidding), but if I did, I'm taking the out, since it sounds like an assisted runner.

Play on.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Going to the 11th, 12th..... BR out on runner assistance, not reaching 1B safely, no runs score.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Were the players who assisted the other 2 runners?
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Does the way "teammates joined in the batter's celebration a few feet up the first base line" constitute gathering to hinder the defense?
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Are you out for being assisted during an awarded base?
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

First, there is no reference to what rules governed the game. Second, cite the rule that says an AWARDED base would not count if the B/R didn't legally attain 1B.

Bob
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches guess...Not touching base is a live ball appeal and runners may advance; proper appeal should be by player with ball stepping on base, I think...run counts, game over(?). Notice my lack of conviction...
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe we have a live ball here, subsequently, unless the BR or one of the other Rs abandoned the field the run scores.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

My stab:
Depends - is the ball live or not? (i.e.: is this SP or FP?)

Speaking ASA, FP
-An awarded base on balls is still a live ball (8.1.c.effect.1)
-There are no runners behind the BR, so in order to be assisted by another runner, someone had to have been passed. I have an out. (8.7.d)
-If the BR was assisted by anyone other than another runner, then I have an out. (8.7.e)

On to the next inning.

If SP,
-An awarded base on balls is a dead ball. (8.1.c.effects.2-4)
-Can't call an out on passing the runner, since the ball is dead. 8.7.d
-Assisting the runner only applies to a live ball situation, so no out here. (8.7.e)

Count the run. Game over.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
First, there is no reference to what rules governed the game. Second, cite the rule that says an AWARDED base would not count if the B/R didn't legally attain 1B.

Bob
Bob - only the BR is actually awarded a base. The forced runners are allowed to "advance without liability to be put out", but are not AWARDED their next base.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking Fed
The BR is out
8-6-5
A runner is out when anyone other than another runner physically assists the runner while the ball is in play

Granted, this does not refer to a BR but other rules in 8-6 are applied to BR's so I would apply this one as well

To answer Dakota's question, If the other 2 runners were the ones assisting I suppose she is safe. That scenario seems so TW though.

I sort of pictured that exception to mean a trailing runner can help someone to her feet or push her to the next base in the event of a fall or a lapse in running.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
-There are no runners behind the BR, so in order to be assisted by another runner, someone had to have been passed. I have an out.
I thought about that but R3 would be coming over from 2B and and R2 from 3B All they are doing is establishing a very unusual base path. If they returned to the position between home and 1B by retouching their previously occupied bases and ended up behind the BR, then she passed them otherwise, I don't think so. That is why I put that it would be very TW in the other post.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I interpreted the OP as runner on 3rd scoring before batter was 'assisted'. Play still live. Run counts. Runner then was assisted...runner out. Doesn't chronology count in this sitch?
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 03:09pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
I interpreted the OP as runner on 3rd scoring before batter was 'assisted'. Play still live. Run counts. Runner then was assisted...runner out. Doesn't chronology count in this sitch?
Nope. BR always needs to legally attain first base for any runs to score, unless there's a special league rule regarding BR's not having to run out home runs.