The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Call (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27586-call.html)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 27, 2006 01:10pm

Call

Bases loaded, two outs, tied score,10th inning.

Ball four is called on the batter who proceeds to celebrate. PU steps around to the front of the plate to watch R1 score while her teammates joined in the batter's celebration a few feet up the first base line.

Defense coach approaches the plate umpire and protests that the BR never touched 1B. Okay, DMC, should have waited.

When the celebrating players hear the coach, a couple shove the batter toward 1B.

Your call. Game over or are you going to the 11th?

MNBlue Thu Jul 27, 2006 01:16pm

What time is it and do I need a bathroom break? LOL

I hope I didn't see the assist (once again, kidding), but if I did, I'm taking the out, since it sounds like an assisted runner.

Play on.

rodan55 Thu Jul 27, 2006 01:21pm

Going to the 11th, 12th..... BR out on runner assistance, not reaching 1B safely, no runs score.

Dakota Thu Jul 27, 2006 01:24pm

Were the players who assisted the other 2 runners?

CecilOne Thu Jul 27, 2006 01:31pm

Does the way "teammates joined in the batter's celebration a few feet up the first base line" constitute gathering to hinder the defense?

mcrowder Thu Jul 27, 2006 01:38pm

Are you out for being assisted during an awarded base?

bluezebra Thu Jul 27, 2006 01:49pm

First, there is no reference to what rules governed the game. Second, cite the rule that says an AWARDED base would not count if the B/R didn't legally attain 1B.

Bob

bellnier Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:03pm

Coaches guess...Not touching base is a live ball appeal and runners may advance; proper appeal should be by player with ball stepping on base, I think...run counts, game over(?). Notice my lack of conviction...:rolleyes:

ChampaignBlue Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:17pm

I don't believe we have a live ball here, subsequently, unless the BR or one of the other Rs abandoned the field the run scores.

SRW Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:27pm

My stab:
Depends - is the ball live or not? (i.e.: is this SP or FP?)

Speaking ASA, FP
-An awarded base on balls is still a live ball (8.1.c.effect.1)
-There are no runners behind the BR, so in order to be assisted by another runner, someone had to have been passed. I have an out. (8.7.d)
-If the BR was assisted by anyone other than another runner, then I have an out. (8.7.e)

On to the next inning.

If SP,
-An awarded base on balls is a dead ball. (8.1.c.effects.2-4)
-Can't call an out on passing the runner, since the ball is dead. 8.7.d
-Assisting the runner only applies to a live ball situation, so no out here. (8.7.e)

Count the run. Game over.

mcrowder Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
First, there is no reference to what rules governed the game. Second, cite the rule that says an AWARDED base would not count if the B/R didn't legally attain 1B.

Bob

Bob - only the BR is actually awarded a base. The forced runners are allowed to "advance without liability to be put out", but are not AWARDED their next base.

tcblue13 Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:48pm

Speaking Fed
The BR is out
8-6-5
A runner is out when anyone other than another runner physically assists the runner while the ball is in play

Granted, this does not refer to a BR but other rules in 8-6 are applied to BR's so I would apply this one as well

To answer Dakota's question, If the other 2 runners were the ones assisting I suppose she is safe. That scenario seems so TW though.

I sort of pictured that exception to mean a trailing runner can help someone to her feet or push her to the next base in the event of a fall or a lapse in running.

tcblue13 Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
-There are no runners behind the BR, so in order to be assisted by another runner, someone had to have been passed. I have an out.

I thought about that but R3 would be coming over from 2B and and R2 from 3B All they are doing is establishing a very unusual base path. If they returned to the position between home and 1B by retouching their previously occupied bases and ended up behind the BR, then she passed them otherwise, I don't think so. That is why I put that it would be very TW in the other post.

bellnier Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:58pm

I interpreted the OP as runner on 3rd scoring before batter was 'assisted'. Play still live. Run counts. Runner then was assisted...runner out. Doesn't chronology count in this sitch?

HawkeyeCubP Thu Jul 27, 2006 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellnier
I interpreted the OP as runner on 3rd scoring before batter was 'assisted'. Play still live. Run counts. Runner then was assisted...runner out. Doesn't chronology count in this sitch?

Nope. BR always needs to legally attain first base for any runs to score, unless there's a special league rule regarding BR's not having to run out home runs.