The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you have covered this- I am new to the board, but I searched and could not find a thread...

Does each call stand on it's own, or do we need to consider the previous series of calls?

I am not talking about consistency - the calling of hand checks, palming or traveling etc. that we need to apply equally as they occur.

I went to a camp this summer, and they seemed to address it by talking about "sequence" Meaning do we really want to make a series of tough calls against the same team. I understand it is a slippery slope, and absolutly at times this is going to occur. But If I understood them correctly- and it was my first camp- so the possibility exists that I misunderstood- I need to consider the previous calls to some degree, and not just make each call in a vacuum.

If we have a block/charge call on one end, and we call it a block, then we have a very similar situation on the other end very soon afterwards- would you feel any reluctance(if that is the right word) to call it a charge. Meaning the same team came out with both calls.

Now I know you can say I just call em as I see em, but to make this more clear, I am saying they were both very, very close block/charges with enough contact that a call needed to be made.

This is a theoretical example, and I am exagerating the situation to make my point, but I hope I have made my question clear. So don't focus on my example- focus on the question please. Or give examples that help me understand if you would. Thanks
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, as soon as you start worrying about the last call, you get into the world of "make up" calls, and tread a path you don't want to be on. IMHO the only manner in which you should consider past calls is with regard to consistency, and you should not pay attention to who got the last call.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
You should be aware of how the game is being called, by your partners & by yourself. You cannot be consistent if the calls come from a vacuum. For the sake of consistency we remind each other "if it's called one way on this end make sure it's called the same way on the other end". I believe this addresses your question and I think we can all agree with this. Now, there's a whole 'nother can of worms related to "equalizing" fouls and "spreading whistles" among the crew (ie don't call too many in a row on a particular team and don't call too many in a row yourself). Of course, this assumes the teams are equal and competetive. I think we might all agree that this is the ideal situation.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Just call your game.

You have to call your own game. Each call should be separate from other calls, if you are calling the obvious. If you make a horsesh!t call, try not to make it again. The only thing I think you should mirror is what you called at one part of the game. So if you called a handcheck early, call it late if it took place. Other than that, let the game come to you and have a short memory when you mess up.

I personally am not of the camp that believes that if you call a block on one end, you must call a block on the other end. You might have two completely different kind of block/charge calls.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

When I train new refs, I cover this emphatically. I am adamant that each call stands on its own. Say you've called 5 in a row against team A. So what? If they deserved it, you would be doing the game a disservice by not calling each one.

Officials who are afraid of "how it might look" if they call without regard to previous calls are incompetent cowards.

Now, I'll tell you how I really feel.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mark nailed it.

hack=hack
block=block
charge=charge

Coach: "How come it's a charge at the other end and a block at my end?"

Me: "Because their player had position and yours didn't."

Someone mentioned a while back that coaches who say "call it both ways" really mean "call it MY way", and I couldn't agree more.

Coach: "Fouls are 6-2 you know"

Me: "Yeah, better tell your kids not to hack so much, or the other team'll be shooting bonus."
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

At the lower levels, certainly make each call independently.

As you progress to higher levels, all the way to NCAA, I think the philosophy of sequence and equity becomes more of an issue.

Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Actually the people at the camp pushing the squence idea were college refs.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't think anyone is saying that you can't have a charge here and then a block there. What they're saying is that if the defender is moving slightly but takes it in the chest and we call the charge on this end, then when the defender is moving slightly but takes it in the chest we will also call it a charge on that end.

There are bang/bang plays that could go either way. If we get more than one of these, they should be called the same way. That's all. Be aware of the bang-bang plays and how your partner called them. Then when you get one, call it the same way. Is that really cowardly?

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
There are bang/bang plays that could go either way. If we get more than one of these, they should be called the same way. That's all. Be aware of the bang-bang plays and how your partner called them. Then when you get one, call it the same way. Is that really cowardly?
Exactly.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 01:02am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Be aware of the bang-bang plays and how your partner called them. Then when you get one, call it the same way.
Chuck
Why? You should call it the way you think it should be called regardless of how your partner called it. Maybe your partner called it wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you doubt that you called it correctly, then use that doubt as a learning tool for the future, but don't call something one way when you think it should be called the other just because someone else called it that way.

I know you want to show consistency throughout the game and this consistency is judged by the coaches as a tandem effort of both of you, but I can't justify making an incorrect call on purpose.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 01:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Good grief...no one ever said to make an incorrect call on purpose...and no call is made in a vaccuum - maybe to us the refs they are, but not to the coaches or the players...if my partner nails a block-charge call at one end, and then I have a play that looks the same, feels the same, smells the same, etc - I had better call it the same way at the other end...that's call sequencing - it's got nothing to do with making incorrect calls or being cowardly or anything else...it's simply good game management skills...
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Good grief...no one ever said to make an incorrect call on purpose...and no call is made in a vaccuum - maybe to us the refs they are, but not to the coaches or the players...if my partner nails a block-charge call at one end, and then I have a play that looks the same, feels the same, smells the same, etc - I had better call it the same way at the other end...that's call sequencing - it's got nothing to do with making incorrect calls or being cowardly or anything else...it's simply good game management skills...
I get it(I think). "Call Sequencing" means you try to make the RIGHT call EACH time.What a novel concept! Man,I wish they woulda had that when I started. All I ever heard was "be consistent".
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

JR, that is funny

I tought for this entire thread that "that" is what was meant by sequencing.

I have never considered the "other" side of the coin (I'd call that "keeping the game even") as described by some in this thread.

I strongly disagree with letting game conditions dictate a call (somewhere there is a thread that says 1)'Know who are the stars and 2) make sure a fifth foul on a good player is really a clear foul) as directed by a couple of posters.

Each play is an individual happening . . . if you are consistant this concept (sequencing) becomes unimportant.

Maybe we're wrong JR, but it seems pretty clear to me.

The "real" Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Feb 13th, 2003 at 05:04 PM]
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Don't think so much! You are simply there to report what happens. You don't really decide if it was a charge/block so much as you report wether it was or not. The players decide, you just tell everyone what happened.
If someone asks you what time it is and you say that it is 2:25, and you are asked again in 5 minutes you would say it was 2:30 (assuming your watch works!). Same with officiating, you just tell everyone what happened.