The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Pitcher dies on field

Has nothing to do with umpiring, but I hope I never have to deal with something like this during a game of mine.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...Sports/Cricket
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
WOW! I had a buddy that had this happen on a basketball court. A guy came out of the game, sat down on the bench, put a towel on his head and slumped over on the guy next to him - dead. It took him a while to get over it. As an umpire, EVERYTIME a player on my field gets hit, I always ask if they are alright or have my partner do it. That is just horrible!!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

You just never know though.

About three weeks ago I worked a State Championship B*@#ball game (Dixie Boys). Three man crew. Good game, no problems, a little bit of "home cooking" was directed at the guy who was from out of town, but all in all, an easy game.

I recieved a call the next morning that the U3, after the game. (about midnight) suffered a heart attack, and by 6:00 a.m. was undergoing a triple bypass! All has gone OK for him so far, but he is going through the depression stage that some do. Has me thinking though, he is a good bit younger than I.

You just never know though.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
Has nothing to do with umpiring, but I hope I never have to deal with something like this during a game of mine.
But it has everything to do with umpiring. Read the story and see the discussion about sudden cardiac death from chest-wall blows. Note that it is identified as the second-leading cause of death in young athletes. (Anybody remember the Ivy League lacrosse player that died a year ago from being hit in the chest?)

Remember this everytime you or your partner or somebody you knows gets behind the plate without a chest protector. Sure you may be able to deal with the pain of a blow to the collar bone, but how does your family deal with the pain of your death?

WMB
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
But it has everything to do with umpiring. Read the story and see the discussion about sudden cardiac death from chest-wall blows. Note that it is identified as the second-leading cause of death in young athletes. (Anybody remember the Ivy League lacrosse player that died a year ago from being hit in the chest?)

Remember this everytime you or your partner or somebody you knows gets behind the plate without a chest protector. Sure you may be able to deal with the pain of a blow to the collar bone, but how does your family deal with the pain of your death?

WMB
We are going through a heat wave in CA and my last tourney was 114 (last sat/sun 18U nat warmup) 3 umps had to quit because of the heat.. I was very tempted to go without a chest protector for the first time, I was just so hot- I didnt though.
I ve taken some good shots off mine, just didnt want to take the chance.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

It also is an issue of enforcing the banned bat list! The reason we have the banned bat list is not to prevent home runs, it's to protect fielders. While it could happen with any bat, it would be especially bad if it happened with a banned bat.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
We are going through a heat wave in CA and my last tourney was 114 (last sat/sun 18U nat warmup) 3 umps had to quit because of the heat.. I was very tempted to go without a chest protector for the first time, I was just so hot- I didnt though.
I ve taken some good shots off mine, just didnt want to take the chance.
I also umpire in CA, in an area where there's always a heat wave. After a double header (two 9-inning games) I'm pretty much used up but I would never consider working a game without my chest protector.

I have a partner working the adult leagues with me who never wears anything but a mask....been doing this since 1979. He hides behind the catcher. I don't see how he sees the ball but he's very good.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

The men's fastpitch team I play for has a catcher- a very good one, at that- who wears only a mask and shin guards. And it's not for want of a chest protector that he goes unprotected. We have several available for team use.

I made the comment earlier in the season that I would never get behind the plate without my chest protector. Even gave the old, "It only takes one...", speech.

Last week he took a foul shot straight back into the old collar bone. SNAP! Bye-bye collar bone, bye-bye catcher and bye-bye rest of the season.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Ox Baker

As you are probably aware, I am a fan and connoisseur of professional wrestling. Here is a brief exerpt from Ox Baker's Biography.

In studying Baker's In-Ring Career it would appear that over 8,000 men have fallen to his feared version of the Heart Punch. Among them are Fritz Von Erich, David Von Eric, Kerry Von Eric, Jimmy "Super Fly" Snuka, Verne Gagne, Ernie Ladd, Harley Race, Bulldog Brower, Mil Mascaras, and Hulk Hogan. Hogan's knockout came when he tried to wrestle the Florida Title away from Baker, Hogan would eventually get knocked out three nights in a row.

Ox Baker's Heart Punch made Head-Lines in 1970, when he wrestled a man by the name of Alberto Torres. Baker hit Torres with the Heart Punch and Torres dropped and did not get back to his feet again. He was rushed to the hospital where he later died. It turned out that he had a ruptured pancreas, but didn't disclose it to the wrestling promoters before the match. Baker's Heart Punch was not the 100% cause of death. Then in 1975, Baker's Special Move made Head-Lines again. This time Ox was battling Ray Gunkel in a Texas Death Match. Baker hit Gunkel with the Heart Punch and Gunkel was dead before he hit the floor. Incidents like these made Ox Baker a feared man in the ring.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"