The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA rules. Batter swings and missed. Ball returned to the pitcher who is in the pitching position. Batter steps out demanding time. Pitcher throws next pitch for strike two. (Strike two because first it was a strike, and second because the batter had stepped out of the Box) Batter out. Batter mad saying she had time. I say there is no time when the pitcher is in the pitching position.

I have got fooled once by pitcher asking what's the count, as I looked at my indicator, here comes the perfect pitch. So now I just look at the pitcher waiting for the next pitch.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

ok..Imma little confused....

the batter called for time but the ump didn't call it so therefore when the batter stepped out of the box during a legal pitch it was an automatic out no matter what the count?

or Strike 1 was the swing and miss
Strike 2 was the next pitch that was a strike
Strike 3 was stepping out of box

Sorry.... just need clarification a bit
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

In USSSA play you wall on Ball three and oar out on Strike two. Speeds up the game.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BuggBob
In USSSA play you wall on Ball three and oar out on Strike two. Speeds up the game.
Only in SP. Not true in FP.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I was about to say......I admit I know NOTHING about SP but we have played USSSA FP and I have NEVER heard of such...lol....my bad.... didn't know you were talking about SP.....

....steps quietly back into her little corner of the room...
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BuggBob
... Batter steps out demanding time.
Bob, Bob, Bob! You so funny! You have got to quit telling these jokes.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

I was under the impression the batter could only request time. : )

If it's not a quick pitch, ring him up. : )

If the pitcher asks for the count, then pitches while you looking at his indicator, it's a ball. Don't let players screw with you like that. (I do USSSA also, why do you need to look at your indicator. It's not like you have 15 pitch at-bats, 5 max. I love USSSA).
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 11:28am
Ref Ump Welsch

Batter can request time, as long as the pitcher hasn't started any pitching motion, even the 2 fakes he/she is allowed.

Like JLMatthew says, if pitcher requests the count and gets you to look at your indicator while he's pitching, it's unfairly delivered ball, and a ball awarded to the batter. Be a pretty gaddang stupid move if the batter already has 2 balls (and that didn't come out right!) on the count. Also, if the pitcher does it more than once, you could warn him for unsportsmanlike conduct and eject if he does it after you warn him.

We've actually had a pitcher try that on me this year. First time, I said unfairly delivered and awarded a ball. Second time, same call with the USC warning. His coach says there's nothing wrong, and I said coach, then every time he does it, it'll be a ball no matter what. Coach says I have to judge each pitch or call no pitch. I told coach that he just got his warning not to say anything else. Sure enough, third time it happens, pitcher's gone, and coach comes at me saying I should have called no pitch. Coach gone, my reason: arguing balls and strikes (wow, mischevious me!). Ball game over since they didn't have enough subs to cover the 2 of them being ejected. Coach goes to the league director to complain within earshot of me. League director does the most lovely thing....kicks the coach out of the park and tells him not to bother coming back for a couple of weeks, even weekend tournaments!
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Guys and gals, help me out here, I know NOTHING about SP. I've never played or officiated it.

Why would the pitcher ask the ump for the count and pitch while the ump is not looking? Is it so they can sneak an illegal pitch in or something?
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I was just sitting here wondering the same thing. I don't think it's a very smart move on the pitcher's part because my pitcher WANTS that ump to see her pitch not miss the perfect strike.