The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 01:18pm
(Something hilarious)

Question Re: ASA website June Clarification on Runner Interference Play

In reading the following play on the ASA website, something didn't seem totally right about the Ruling to me. Follow me here, and enlighten me if necessary.

Play Question – Turn at Bat After Interference

SITUATION: Two outs and R1 on 1B, B2 hits a pop fly close to the foul line near 1B. R1 runs into F3 who is moving towards the pop fly to attempt a catch. The umpire rules “dead ball” and declares R1 out for interference. The pop fly hits the ground in fair territory then bounces foul before reaching 1B. Does the batter who hit the pop fly start the next inning at bat, or has their turn at bat been completed?

RULING: In this situation, the batter became a batter-runner when the pop fly was hit (Rule 1, TURN AT BAT) and R1 was correctly declared out for interference (Rule 8, Section 7 J 1). The batted ball touching the ground in fair territory and then bouncing into foul territory is of no consequence to this situation. B2 is credited with a fielder’s choice and B3 leads off the next inning.

NOTE: Rule 1, TURN AT BAT (page 59). A turn at bat begins when a player first enters the batter’s box and continues until the player is substituted for, put out, or becomes a batter-runner while at bat.

It seems to me that the Ruling is pointing at the batter becoming a BR when they batted the ball as being the determining factor in making a ruling on what should happen to the batter/BR. This doesn't make sense to me - isn't the determining factor on plays like this the position of the fly ball (either over fair = fair fly ball, or over foul = foul fly ball) at the time of the INT?

I.E. ASA Rule 1 - Definitions - Foul Ball - A foul ball is a batted ball that: D. While over foul territory, a runner interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball.
&
ASA Rule 1 - Definitions - Fair Ball - A fair ball is a legally batted ball that: D. While over fair territory, a runner interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball.

If I'm totally wrong here, wouldn't the Clarification Ruling contradict slightly, or at least not quite mesh with POE 33-A-d?

ASA POE 33-A-d.

If interference occurs by the runner on a foul fly ball not caught, the runner is out, a strike is called, the ball is dead, and the batter remains at bat. (Slow Pitch Only) If on the third strike, it would be two outs.

Ooooorrrr....perhaps I'm just not seeing exactly what I want to see in the explanation of the Ruling, since it's addressing turns at bat.

Sorry for the ramble. Typing things out is helpful to my learning process.

[The reason this jumped out at me is that it happened on my field earlier this year, and I looked it up that night after the game. - In our situation, the fly ball was over foul territory when the INT happened, and landed and stayed foul. There were less than two outs, and we ruled R1 out for INT and mistakenly awarded the BR 1B. My thinking at the time was that the batted ball hadn't gained fair or foul status at the time of the INT, so it wasn't any different, theoretically, than a line drive over fair territory. In re-reading the definitions of "Fair Ball" and "Foul Ball" that night, I realized my mistake.]

Always learning,
HCP
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

What's your question? It looks good to me.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 01:37pm
(Something hilarious)

Yes, it does. I think I let myself get confused (not difficult) because it didn't spell out where the ball was when the interference occurred - over fair or foul territory - it can be assumed though, I suppose, that it was over fair territory when the INT occurred, since the ball landed in fair territory. I think that was my deal.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Yes, it does. I think I let myself get confused (not difficult) because it didn't spell out where the ball was when the interference occurred - over fair or foul territory - it can be assumed though, I suppose, that it was over fair territory when the INT occurred, since the ball landed in fair territory. I think that was my deal.
I think that's the point, which "territory" the ball is over when the INT occurs.
AAAAAAAA for the effort to post all that detail!
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Just to keep my brain cells straight...

What you're saying is that since the ball was over fair territory when the infraction occured, which kept the ball from contacting (and/or being caught by) the First Baseman, which would have made the ball fair (or the batter out), making the batter the legitimate batter/runner and therefore her turn at bat is used.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
Just to keep my brain cells straight...

What you're saying is that since the ball was over fair territory when the infraction occured, which kept the ball from contacting (and/or being caught by) the First Baseman, which would have made the ball fair (or the batter out), making the batter the legitimate batter/runner and therefore her turn at bat is used.
yup 4 5 6 7 8 9 10