The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Easy one

ASA (most rule sets. Part of Fed may be different)

Bases loaded, one out.

B7 bats after B5 and gets a base hit to LF. R2 is thrown out at the plate while R3 rolls into 3B and BR7 into 2B.

Prior to the next pitch, the defense brings the point that B6 should have been the batter.

Your turn.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Jul 03, 2006 at 12:31pm.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

R1 is returned to 3rd, R1 returned to 1st. R2 is out on the putout for out number 2. B6 who should have batted is out for out number 3. B7 leads off the next inning.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
R1 is returned to 3rd, R1 returned to 1st. R2 is out on the putout for out number 2. B6 who should have batted is out for out number 3. B7 leads off the next inning.

R3 goes back to 3rd you meant, right? I do that all the time...damn middle age
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I think you mean R3 goes back to 1st.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I've studied this rule in the NFHS book enough back in April that I should know this by heart. But I don't. I'm going back to my book tonight.

However, my first question is, if R2 is out at the plate, R3 is on 3rd and BR/7 is on 2nd... where did R4 go? (or R5, one of them was on 1st when B7 entered the box, I have to assume the other is out).
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Too many numbers and letters! that's why I was never any good at algebra!

Bases loaded, 1 out would be R1 at third, R2 at second, and R3 at first.

On the BOO;

a. The player who should have batted is out
b. Any advance of runners and any runs scored shall be nullified. All outs made stand.

etc, etc,

No need to send anyone back. R2 would be out #2, B6's BOO would be out #3 all other (runs, advancement) is nullified, swap 'em up! B7 will start next time.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL

On the BOO;

b. Any advance of runners and any runs scored shall be nullified. All outs made stand.

etc, etc,

No need to send anyone back. R2 would be out #2, B6's BOO would be out #3 all other (runs, advancement) is nullified, swap 'em up! B7 will start next time.
Yep, what he said!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, i meant R3 back to 1st. But you will probably have to explain to the coach why the ru doesn't score, and B7 starts the nxt inning.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
Yes, i meant R3 back to 1st. But you will probably have to explain to the coach why the ru doesn't score, and B7 starts the nxt inning.
For one, BY RULE, all runners not put out must return to last base occupied. Secondly, B7 leads off because the proper batter (B6) was called out and the next batter would be B7. Shouldn't be a difficult sell to the coach. I've often found the words "by rule" scare coaches cause they've never read the dang rulebook so they would never know.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL

On the BOO;

etc, etc,

I agree for ASA (Mike's OP) and Fed. For NCAA, B6 is out for failing to bat in turn, and R1, R2, and R3 are returned to base. B7 bats with 2 outs.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL

On the BOO;

etc, etc,

Why did Mike ask the Q if it's this easy?
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne

Sumpins up his sleeve.......I'm waiting.........
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Nope, nothing up my sleeve, but apparently it isn't easy for the coach to digest.

I was called onto the field this past weekend to settle a protest. The coach insisted there was no such rule which allowed the umpire to move runners back AND keep any outs.

First he told me of the protest and that he would take the ruling wherever he needed to get satisfaction. I told him in DE, that would be me. He told me he would go to whomever he had to at any level to prove this wasn't the proper call. I told him if he called ASA, they would call the regional UIC who in turn would call the state UIC.....which again would be me.

Even after the game, he decided to "show off" for his team and loudly proclaimed that I cannot show him the rule in the book because it isn't there. So, I showed him the book and he loudly read 7.2.D.2.b, "Any advance of runners and any run scored shall be nullified."

He refused to read the next sentence aloud, so I did, "All outs made stand."

I explained to him that the defense should not be deprived of the out executed on the field because the offense screwed up. And I agree with that philosophy. Why should the defense not benefit from such a violation by the opponent since they retired a player during action unaffected by the BOO violation.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Nope, nothing up my sleeve, but apparently it isn't easy for the coach to digest.

I was called onto the field this past weekend to settle a protest. The coach insisted there was no such rule which allowed the umpire to move runners back AND keep any outs.

First he told me of the protest and that he would take the ruling wherever he needed to get satisfaction. I told him in DE, that would be me. He told me he would go to whomever he had to at any level to prove this wasn't the proper call. I told him if he called ASA, they would call the regional UIC who in turn would call the state UIC.....which again would be me.

Even after the game, he decided to "show off" for his team and loudly proclaimed that I cannot show him the rule in the book because it isn't there. So, I showed him the book and he loudly read 7.2.D.2.b, "Any advance of runners and any run scored shall be nullified."

He refused to read the next sentence aloud, so I did, "All outs made stand."

I explained to him that the defense should not be deprived of the out executed on the field because the offense screwed up. And I agree with that philosophy. Why should the defense not benefit from such a violation by the opponent since they retired a player during action unaffected by the BOO violation.
Hey Mike,

I would love to have been there to see that one, especially when you showed him the book! That shut him up quick.

I was field umpire for 9 year olds boys baseball tournament games a couple weeks ago. The director asked me if I would like to umpire for some more tournament games coming to our town July 15th. I reminded him I haven't been calling strikes and balls but have always been umpiring for T-ball and coach-pitch. He said he was pleased with my work on the field and that's where I would be working again. BTW, I enjoyed the action that comes via base-stealing. There were several close plays without one single argument. I don't know what age group will be playing next time, but look forward to the games. Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park! ..Take care, ..Al