The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Unnecessary or Useless rules

With all the discussions of the last two days over IFR and LBR and the mention of so-called cheap outs, I thought it would be neat to see what rules you thought were not needed in the game. If there is a rule that needs to be tweaked to be a better rule, mention that as well. Maybe you have seen a coach "abuse" a rule to gain a cheap advantage that the rule was not intended to provide. That would be helpful as well.
1. Cite the rule and the ruleset
2. Cite your reasoning for your opinion
3. If you disagree with a previous post, start a new thread
4. If you have further input regarding a rule previously cited, offer it.

No Interference on D3K NFHS
If the batter takes off to first when she is not entitled under the D3K rule and she draws a throw which advances runners, the call should be interference and she should be out.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
3. If you disagree with a previous post, start a new thread.
I think THIS rule is unnecessary an will be ignored by all!
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
With all the discussions of the last two days over IFR and LBR and the mention of so-called cheap outs, I thought it would be neat to see what rules you thought were not needed in the game. If there is a rule that needs to be tweaked to be a better rule, mention that as well. Maybe you have seen a coach "abuse" a rule to gain a cheap advantage that the rule was not intended to provide. That would be helpful as well.
1. Cite the rule and the ruleset
2. Cite your reasoning for your opinion
3. If you disagree with a previous post, start a new thread
4. If you have further input regarding a rule previously cited, offer it.

No Interference on D3K NFHS
If the batter takes off to first when she is not entitled under the D3K rule and she draws a throw which advances runners, the call should be interference and she should be out.

I think the 3 strike rule is unnecessary.......

If there were only 1 strike allowed it would speed up the game
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA.

In think the rules regulating the appearance of undergarments are unnecessary. Who cares if one kid wears a pair of white compression shorts / sliders and all the rest wear red? 3-6-B&C
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Speaking ASA.

In think the rules regulating the appearance of undergarments are unnecessary. Who cares if one kid wears a pair of white compression shorts / sliders and all the rest wear red? 3-6-B&C
Remember, it's not just kids and the word you are searching for is "uniform".

I think they pay attention to this due to this because you know as well as I do, if they do not, the "undergarments" could, and probably would, go to the extreme in quick order.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Truthfully, I think the whole concept of getting to run on an uncaught third strike is silly, and a relic left over from BASEball for gosh sakes, and left from a time when the players played in different spots than they do now. Drop the rule - a strikeout is a strikeout.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Remember, it's not just kids and the word you are searching for is "uniform".

I think they pay attention to this due to this because you know as well as I do, if they do not, the "undergarments" could, and probably would, go to the extreme in quick order.
While I can see Mike's point - and concede he's probably right about the appearance deteriorating - I do not like being the uniform and exposed undergarment police. I don't care if sleeves are rolled up(I am glad they changed this one). I don't even care if shirts are tucked in. I don't care about the color of sliding shorts. But, for now, the books used the words MUST and WILL,
I don't like the safety base - teach the players how to properly play 1B and this one definitely is not needed.
I would like to see something in softball that matches the baseball "force play slide rule".
I would like to see a penalty for obstruction, not just the removing of the effect of obstruction.
Most of all, I'd like to see one set of rules, used by every sanctioning body - but that would eliminate the reason for most sanctioning bodies' existance.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Truthfully, I think the whole concept of getting to run on an uncaught third strike is silly, and a relic left over from BASEball for gosh sakes, and left from a time when the players played in different spots than they do now. Drop the rule - a strikeout is a strikeout.
Actually, I believe it is left over from Rounders. In the game which precedes baseball, the striker ran after so many tosses whether they hit the ball or not.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
I would like to see something in softball that matches the baseball "force play slide rule".
The difference is that softball is "considered" more recreational and in today's litigious society, it just isn't worth the risk.

Quote:
I would like to see a penalty for obstruction, not just the removing of the effect of obstruction.
I think we all saw the result of such a penalty in Fed until a couple years ago. Umpires just will not call it and the coach would teach it.
Quote:

Most of all, I'd like to see one set of rules, used by every sanctioning body - but that would eliminate the reason for most sanctioning bodies' existance.
I know it probably took you 20 minutes to type that line 'cause you cannot type while you are laughing hard
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Mike,
With the flooding around here, I can't get anywhere near a ballfield - guess I'll just have to stay home & drink more beer. And that makes for some strange thoughts - what a time for a thread like this one to open.
Weather like this makes me glad my house is on higher ground.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

NFHS 3.4 & ASA 4.6 Illegal Subsitution/Players...Put the penalty on the coach. They knew whether or not to put in that player, why just DQ her for listening to her coach?
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmatt
NFHS 3.4 & ASA 4.6 Illegal Subsitution/Players...Put the penalty on the coach. They knew whether or not to put in that player, why just DQ her for listening to her coach?
That's a good point since wiping out lines sits a coach down

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

I dont like when we are required to judge "intent"..

If its good enough to be a rule, hold them responsible for their actions and make it a rule. Subjective "hunches" as to intent is basically a wild *** guess depending upon the acting ability of the player in some cases.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Not sure what you are smoking but pass it over here! It would also eliminate a lot of this forum!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my 2 cents. Get rid of the dp/flex rule. A lot of coaches have no idea of how it works and unfortunately there are a lot of umpires out there who don't understand the rule either (as evidenced by the number of questions on this forum about it). This rule creates more problems than it solves. Play 9, bat 9 and use your substitutes. The game wasn't meant to be as complicated as this rule make it.