The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

As I was back home for a visit last week I went out to the old ballpark where there was a Pony League game being played. As I was standing there talking to one of the coaches I knew a play had developed where F4 ran down and tagged R1 who was running back to 1B. The combination of the tag and the kids momentum sent him rolling on the dirt. With the parents reaction you would've thought F4 had committed a crime.

The coach leaned over to me and said "If this was football everyone would've been cheering for a good hit but instead this is baseball." Now, this was nowhere near a football caliber hit. The kid was running and was basically pushed by the tag...nothing more, nothing less.

Hold on this gets better.

Then a lady whom I assumed was the players mom came right up to the coach and demanded that he talk to the ump and in her words said "he (the ump) needs to call something". We both asked her what she wanted called and she said "unnecessary roughness". Trying not to laugh we both said maam that's only in football. Frustrated she turned to walk back to the bleachers and it was then that a guy, after hearing our whole conversation, said "tell him to take his skirt off and start playing baseball". She came unglued yelling at him about how a kid on the team broke his finger, etc.

I couldn't help but to think about how not only has our society become so damn sensitive about everything but I also can't help to think that that guy was right about the skirt comment.

Have any of you had similar situations?
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

It was in a football game - 7-8 year olds (tackle). Fans are allowed to roam pretty much freely until the 20 yard line. After a relatively normal play, I'm the LJ, and some lady behind me screams, "You can't let him do that!!! Call something!!!"

Me, thinking I'd missed something (3 officials, 22 kids... it happens), made sure I was watching the linemen on the next play. The guard got knocked back on his butt by the DL. Same lady, "Can't you SEE that!!!! He just knocked my kid over!!!!"

I have to try really hard to restrain myself from saying something sarcastic to her, when the coach says, "Ma'am, it's football!" I see the referee trying hard not to laugh at her too.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Dixie Boys 14 yr old State Tournament. 2nd baseman attempts a diving catch. Then he hits the ground and slings his glove up to show the umpire all in one motion and slings the ball right out of his glove. The BU calls no catch and the coach comes out to talk about it. Believe it or not, the coach said "The ground can't cause a fumble".
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101

I couldn't help but to think about how not only has our society become so damn sensitive about everything but I also can't help to think that that guy was right about the skirt comment.
I blame the 70's..
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I blame the 90's and the soccer movement in the nation. Cold day south of Heaven before my girl knows about soccer much less play it.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

soccer's great...

the way my son plays it: during winter(in Chicago), indoors, and fast. I.E., off-season, contained, and aerobic.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes,

Soccer's great for third world countries.

Or kids that aren't good enough to play real sports (tm).
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Smile

Soccer is unwatchable, which may explain why Euros and South Americans try to kill each other when they find themselves at the games. They just want out of the stadium.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
jeezsh

this thread is almost as exciting as the one about MLB umpire jockstraps.

WOBW.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

รดยกรด

Agreed, Al.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Simple....

Then don't read it.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Re: Simple....

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
Then don't read it.
you seem to have all the wit and wisdom of an 18 yr old punk...or Rut. Neither of which provokes one ounce of respect from myself or others.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

All anyone has been doing for the last week is complaining about what everyone else is posting....if you don't like a thread topic, don't read it. I don't read every thread on here, and I don't whine about every one that I don't like. I don't see why everyone is complaining about almost every thread.