The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Wrestling

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Question

Recently my son was involved in a match where his opponent pummelled him in the face with the butt of his palm.

The referee awarded my son a point after this happened 2-3 times, calling unnecessary roughness.

They began to wrestle again, and the opponent continued the pummelling, but used his fingers instead of the butt of his palm. One of his fingers went into my son's nose and caused bleeding - we stopped for blood time.

I have no beef with how this match was called - my son ended up pinning the kid - but I am curious about it.

What was the ref's next move, if he were to choose to call something on the kid again? Would there be another penalty point, or would this move to disqualification after that? What is the ruling? How would you have called it?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Well if the Ref kept going along with the unnecessary roughness call he could do it three more times. The scoring for the first and second penalty are one point each. The third would be a two point call and the fourth would be to disqualify. In my opinion if it went beyond the second unnecessary roughness call I might be looking at a Flagrant misconduct call and disqualify the kid right there.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, PABlue.

Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty much in agreement with PA here. As an official, the first time I see this type of activity, I stop the match. If it is severe enough ( in my mind ), it is unsportsmanlike conduct, a penalty point, and a very clear warning to the offender that it will not be tolerated. If it is not severe enough, but I fear escalation, than the clear warning comes by itself that it will not be tolerated. If it happens again, ding, Flagrant Misconduct, and the offender is gone. I have established my intent with my warning and if he persists, he has chosen to do it despite being advised against it. In my mind that is Flagrant. I have never gone to Flagrant, but I HAVE awarded several Penalty points for first violations with the " speech " following.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio