The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Little League Question

We had a play last night in a LL tournament game that we need clarification on.
Major Girls: R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st - pitcher throws an illegal pitch. The umpire correctly calls the illegal pitch, as the ball gets to the batter the coach has the runners moving and moves them ahead one base. I realize that the runners do not advance on the IP as they do in HS, ASA, and NCAA - but can they steal on the pitch in LL? I know the rule book says "if a play follows the IP that the offensive coach has the option . . ." my next question is - is a steal considered a "play" in a delayed dead-ball situation.

MY initial reaction is - the offensive coach only gets the option if the batter puts the ball in play, otherwise, the IP is enforced - ball on the batter and all runners back to base occupied at time of pitch.

So here are my questions again:
1) Is a steal considered a play in a delayed dead-ball situation?
2) Can a player steal during an IP? Bearing in mind that we've now tipped the major coach off by calling the IP before the ball reaches the batter so he now has a free attempt to move his kids up without fear of them being thrown out. He can simply "choose" to take the IP and put his kids back - seems unfair to me.
3) Would there be a different ruling on #2 if it were Jr, Sr, BL since they can leave at the time of the pitch?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I say stealing's just peachy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
We had a play last night in a LL tournament game that we need clarification on.
Major Girls: R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st - pitcher throws an illegal pitch. The umpire correctly calls the illegal pitch, as the ball gets to the batter the coach has the runners moving and moves them ahead one base. I realize that the runners do not advance on the IP as they do in HS, ASA, and NCAA - but can they steal on the pitch in LL? I know the rule book says "if a play follows the IP that the offensive coach has the option . . ." my next question is - is a steal considered a "play" in a delayed dead-ball situation.

MY initial reaction is - the offensive coach only gets the option if the batter puts the ball in play, otherwise, the IP is enforced - ball on the batter and all runners back to base occupied at time of pitch.

So here are my questions again:
1) Is a steal considered a play in a delayed dead-ball situation?
2) Can a player steal during an IP? Bearing in mind that we've now tipped the major coach off by calling the IP before the ball reaches the batter so he now has a free attempt to move his kids up without fear of them being thrown out. He can simply "choose" to take the IP and put his kids back - seems unfair to me.
3) Would there be a different ruling on #2 if it were Jr, Sr, BL since they can leave at the time of the pitch?
I don't see why runners can't steal here, majors or above. F2 has every right to throw them out--and then offense can say "we want the IP, not the play." After all, the pitch could be a called strike, and the O must decide if they want strike or base advance.

I have done LL softball for some years, up to Regional level. The intent of this rule, IMHO, is not to penalize offense for what amounts to a defensive miscue.

It's like the "pitcher in circle" rule. This was made to prevent runners "dancing" off the base, not to stop steals or base advances.

Ace in D2, CT
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I don't see why runners can't steal here, majors or above. F2 has every right to throw them out--and then offense can say "we want the IP, not the play." After all, the pitch could be a called strike, and the O must decide if they want strike or base advance.

I have done LL softball for some years, up to Regional level. The intent of this rule, IMHO, is not to penalize offense for what amounts to a defensive miscue.

It's like the "pitcher in circle" rule. This was made to prevent runners "dancing" off the base, not to stop steals or base advances.

Ace in D2, CT
I'm not sure why they can't steal - that's why I'm asking. I have also done a regional in LL and hoping to do a WS soon so I know the intent of the rule. I think that in the major level it gives the offense a "free shot" to advance. If they are thrown out - they elect the IP and put the runners back.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

The coach may take the penalty or the result of the play when an IP is called therefore, at the end of playing action I ask coach which option he wants.
My answers to OP questions:
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No
I checked LL Softball Rule 8.01 (PENALTY) an 8.05 (PENALTY). The way I read these sections supports my answers listed above (IMO).

I also have had the honor of umpiring various levels of LL softball tournament games ranging from 9-10 All-Star Tournaments through Big League Softball Central Regional Tournament. I would love being assigned to a LL Softball World Series Tournament (or 2).
Sam
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I guess my point is the coach we have here actually is sharp enough to realize that an IP has been called and at that point he's gonna send his kids. I feel like he's double-dipping in the reward/penalty pool. It's one thing to me if in Jr/Sr/BL and they are off with the pitch - I guess I struggle with majors and him catching the IP call and knowing he has a free shot at a stolen base. If the rational side of me takes a deep breath and looks at it, I see that point. But when the emotional side looks at it, I want to send them back.

I talked with Andy Konyar in Williamsport about it and he seems to agree that the play stands, or at least they CAN steal on the IP.