The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

WMB - I don't have to "work it out" - it's worked out for me in the rulebook.

It is a foul ball the moment the runner interferes with a fielder trying to make a play on it. (Note that the rule doesn't say "Commits Interference" which is what you are trying to tie this to). Someone can interfere with play and have it not be "Interference". This case is one of them. F2 firing to third on a steal and nailing the batter in the helmet is another - yes the play was interfered with but it is not "Interference".

I don't have to worry about your first part - the ball is already foul (and dead). A dead ball can go where ever it wants, and will not regain live status (or fair status).

The definition of Interference does not include this play (a foul grounded ball), thus there is no penalty. Foul ball. Very simple.