The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Close play at 1B, ball in dirt, pops out of F3's glove just as B-R jumps over the bag. Blue signals safe.

While still stretched out and touching the bag, F3 picks up ball, stands up, looks at B-R strolling back to 1B, and throws ball to F1. Blue makes no call and moves on to B position.

Defensive Coach calls for appeal, claiming that B-R missed 1B. Blue says "too late, Coach, runner is already back on base." Coach claims that F3 touched the base while having possesion of the ball before the runner returned to the base.

Your call?

WMB

Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 10:43am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Sounds like a blown call to me. Blue should not have made a safe call right away, as the runner never touched the bag. However, since he/she did make the call, the defensive appeal would be considered invalid because F3 already did the appeal (inappropriately I might add). Of course, blue seems to have missed that appeal too. In other words, totally screwed up situation.

If I'm wrong guys, go ahead and bash me, but this is how I would handle it if it came up.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Assuming, since it is you, WMB, NFHS (although the ASA ruling would be the same).

Live ball appeals must be a "proper" appeal. Accidental appeals are not recognized. Therefore, unless F3 did something to convince the umpire that she was making an appeal and not just picking up the ball, there is no appeal to rule on.

Once the runner has returned and touched the base, it is too late for an appeal.

My call agrees with your game umpire's call.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Sounds like a blown call to me. Blue should not have made a safe call right away, as the runner never touched the bag.
The slight hesitation mechanic is for a missed tag / missed base at home, not for any other missed base. Quoting from the NFHS 2004 Rules Book,
Quote:
APPEAL PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES
9. Missing First Base Before the Throw Arrives.
If a runner passes first base before the throw arrives, she is considered to have touched the base unless an appeal is made. If an appeal is made, it must be made prior to the runner returning to first base while the ball is live.
Quote:
...F3 already did the appeal (inappropriately I might add). Of course, blue seems to have missed that appeal too. In other words, totally screwed up situation.
Since you agree that there was not a proper appeal by F3, how can you say the umpire missed the appeal?

For an appeal in this kind of situation (late throw or muffed catch on a force out) to be recognized, the defense must demonstrate that they are doing something beyond completing the force play too late. They must actually make an appeal.

[Edited by Dakota on Mar 4th, 2004 at 10:07 AM]
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Tom...looks like Blue got it right!
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Hesitation ??

"The slight hesitation mechanic is for a missed tag / missed base at home, not for any other missed base" I don't believe that hesitation is bad at any base. Now to hesitiate to the amount that might "tip" off a player that something has or is going wrong would be unfair and incorrect. But a slight hesitation in any call I believe has always been taught.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

From what I am reading, I, too, will have to agree with the call.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

Quote:
Sounds like a blown call to me. Blue should not have made a safe call right away, as the runner never touched the bag.
No, the umpire made the correct call, in the correct manner. The runner beat the play, the runner is to be ruled safe and that is the correct call. Now, if an appeal takes place, the umpire makes a ruling on the appeal, not a reversal of the initial call.

We have all been taught to slow down and then make the call. Anytime there is something amiss, the umpire should hesitate slightly to see if the play may continue. Making an immediate safe call and then a reversal if F3 picks up the ball and chases the runner down the line for an obvious live ball appeal, may offer a poor impression.

Quote:
However, since he/she did make the call, the defensive appeal would be considered invalid because F3 already did the appeal (inappropriately I might add). Of course, blue seems to have missed that appeal too. In other words, totally screwed up situation.
Blue didn't miss a thing. There was no appeal, so the umpire, by rule, is not permitted to rule on it.

It seems most everyone is on this one.

Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

One more vote for the Ump who I think got it right !
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The "touching the bag, F3 picks up ball" is not an appeal.

Isn't "Making an immediate safe call and then a reversal ... snip .. .for an obvious live ball appeal" not really a reversal but two calls; which we do often enough that most will get it?

Wouldn't making no call conflict with "the umpire made the correct call, in the correct manner. The runner beat the play, the runner is to be ruled safe and that is the correct call. Now, if an appeal takes place, the umpire makes a ruling on the appeal, not a reversal of the initial call"?

Or am I tuned in to Mars today?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Two more comments:

In a play such as this, I have been taught not to give any initial signal at all. Everybody in the world can see the ball on the ground after it popped out of the glove and the runner passing the base. Is a safe signal necessary here?

I think we've covered this, but in the initial post, the request for appeal came from a defensive coach. In order for the appeal to be recognized, it must be made by an infielder.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Andy, the people in the stands can't see the ball on the ground. We are expected to make a call. It's what we get paid to do. I don't think a little safe call would hurt.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

While slowing down the timing is a well-taught practice for umpires, that is not what I was referring to.

On the play described, when the fielder dropped the ball, the runner was safe subject to appeal for missing the base.

The safe call can be made immediately so everyone is clear the force out was missed.

Unless the defense sees the missed base and makes the appeal in time, the safe call stands.

That is not the same as making an OUT-SAFE call because you got your timing rushed and call the OUT just as the ball was dropped.

I never have liked the "slight hesitation" mechanic to deal with a dual miss (missed base, missed tag).

I would prefer either no call at all until the play is complete (baseball style - which, of course, would tip everyone that there has not yet been a safe or an out), or have everyone understand that acquiring the base, legally, includes passing the base but missing it, and understand that that is ruled safe unless appealed. That way, there is no defensive confusing regarding the immediate safe call, and the defense would understand that the safe call does not mean there may be no appeal.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I also vote "good call". From original post I dont see a live ball appeal, F3 didn't seem to know the base was not touched.
Some believe that a safe followed by an out on appeal is not a good mechanic, but thats how its supposed to be done. To avoid confusion on this, sell it. "On the appeal..OUT"
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
The "touching the bag, F3 picks up ball" is not an appeal.

Isn't "Making an immediate safe call and then a reversal ... snip .. .for an obvious live ball appeal" not really a reversal but two calls; which we do often enough that most will get it?
Didn't say it wasn't two calls, but was noting the impression given especially if you don't announce the appeal.
Quote:
Wouldn't making no call conflict with "the umpire made the correct call, in the correct manner. The runner beat the play, the runner is to be ruled safe and that is the correct call. Now, if an appeal takes place, the umpire makes a ruling on the appeal, not a reversal of the initial call"?

Or am I tuned in to Mars today?
Martian, you lost me on that one. Where do you have the umpire making no call?