The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

When is a runner allowed to run into a fielder with the intent to prevent the fielder from receiving a thrown ball or to knock the ball out of the fielders hands. The real question I want to know in MLB can the runner lower his shoulder and knock out the fielder?

[Edited by jesmael on Jun 12th, 2002 at 04:22 PM]
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I think that is possible in MLB is when the catcher is blocking home plate. An incident occured a few years ago when a rather large runner running from first to second took out the second baseman on the tag. I don't remember the players involved, but the runner was called out, the batter called out, and the runner ejected and fined.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think the incident that you're referring to is the one between Albert Belle and Fernando Vina
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Was the runner already out and then flagrantly interfered with the fielder making a chance at a double play?

9.01(d) gives the umpire sole discretion in ruling on unsportsmanlike conduct.

I would imagine a runner obstructed from reaching a base, such as a catcher blocking the plate (with or without the ball) would not be ruled unsportsmanlike. I can't see how a third baseman blocking third base would be different.

What I do notice is that fielders in MLB do not block any base except home. They will usually straddle or play off to the side of the base. If a runner put his shoulder into a shortstop straddling second on a tag for a steal attempt, that might be unsportsmanlike.

I can't see where any other rule would apply.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Blocking With The Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by joemoore
Was the runner already out and then flagrantly interfered with the fielder making a chance at a double play?

9.01(d) gives the umpire sole discretion in ruling on unsportsmanlike conduct.

I would imagine a runner obstructed from reaching a base, such as a catcher blocking the plate (with or without the ball) would not be ruled unsportsmanlike. I can't see how a third baseman blocking third base would be different.

What I do notice is that fielders in MLB do not block any base except home. They will usually straddle or play off to the side of the base. If a runner put his shoulder into a shortstop straddling second on a tag for a steal attempt, that might be unsportsmanlike.

I can't see where any other rule would apply.
A player may block any base if he has the ball. In fact interpretation may allow blocking it as he catches the ball. Perhaps I date myself but I recall a first-baseman who used to drop his leg in front of the bag when the famous LA Dodger base-stealer, Maury Wills was on first. He did this because Maury went back head-first. Although legal this was not considered proper defensive positioning. One day Wills sharpened his spikes and chose to go back feet-first extracting a piece of revenge to say nothing of the gash on the fielder's leg. Under OBR it is poor mechanics for fielders other than the properly armed catcher to block bases with or withou the ball.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

OK, so if the rules allows for blocking the base when you have the ball or about to receive the ball. Does the rules allow the runner to take what ever measures are needed to get to the base. Can they charge the fielder? Lower the shoulder and hit the fielder down? Do a flying side kick and take the fielder out of the game? I know I am sounding absurd at this point, but the point I am trying to clarify is the question “can a runner run into a fielder with the intent to do it hard enough to get to the base safely at the expense of hurting the fielder?”
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

What is this "WWF League Baseball"? Or "Roller Baseball"?
Come on now. Lets be realistic.

As in every sport there are those players that play on the verge of recklessness, all the time. "Pete Rose", comes to mind right off the bat. He played hard and tough all the time. But I find it very hard to believe that those type of players got that far with little or no respect for the rest of the players.

"Can a runner run into a fielder with the intent to do it hard enough to get to the base safely at the expense of hurting the fielder?” Sure, but at some point he is gonna pay for it. Either through the league or through the players.

As was stated before the collision at the plate is probably a perfect example of how this can happen. I really got to believe that 99.999% of the players that are in that situation, are not trying to hurt the catcher.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
MLB Is A Whole Other Game

Quote:
Originally posted by jesmael
OK, so if the rules allows for blocking the base when you have the ball or about to receive the ball. Does the rules allow the runner to take what ever measures are needed to get to the base. Can they charge the fielder? Lower the shoulder and hit the fielder down? Do a flying side kick and take the fielder out of the game? I know I am sounding absurd at this point, but the point I am trying to clarify is the question “can a runner run into a fielder with the intent to do it hard enough to get to the base safely at the expense of hurting the fielder?”
Most leagues have an "avoid contact" rule sometimes referred to as The Pete Rose rule reflecting the play Rose made on catcher Ray Fossee in the All Star Game i.e. players must slide, go around, or give themselves up in those situations. Even if the player is blocking the base without the ball it does not give the runner the right to run over the defensive player.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jesmael
When is a runner allowed to run into a fielder with the intent to prevent the fielder from receiving a thrown ball or to knock the ball out of the fielders hands. The real question I want to know in MLB can the runner lower his shoulder and knock out the fielder?

[Edited by jesmael on Jun 12th, 2002 at 04:22 PM]
Yes.

Although he might be fined / suspended by the league afterwards, the general ruling on the field would be that this was legal.