The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question Obstruction Rule Clarification/explanation, PLEASE!!

Okay, I am a first year coach of high school fast pitch softball in MI, and a head coach at that. This is a whole new crazy perspective for me, but the game is definitely not new to me. To make a long story short, I had my first game today (which we won, yay) but there were two obstruction calls that could have really cost us the game. I know that the rule changed from last year, but I wasn't a coach last year. My third baseman kind of got in the base path during a rundown, but clearly didn’t touch the runner, then my catcher makes a ESPN highlight play at the play, then the umps call obstruction. I personally didn’t hear an appeal, but being a first time coach I am timid about making appeals myself. I am wondering if umpired will call the obstruction without a verbal appeal being made, or if a coach or player has to appeal? There was another situation with my shortstop covering second on a wild throw (going for the ball). I guess it is hard to explain, but basically I really would like some help with this whole obstruction rule. I know it is not new, but it has been changing. I totally understand not being able to block a bag/plate before you have the ball (to me "blocking" is like an outfielder taking a knee, but in the IN in front of a bag b4 u have the ball in your possession (from first hand experience, (a huge black-eye w/ seam marks on my face and weak eye, and no obstruction call was ever made!!??) but not letting a player, especially a SS strattle a bag, or even stand near the bag before she has the ball... It just seems like the girls are getting the game taken away from them, while the boys continue as is...

Basically, I am rather stressed as it is my first year, and we play tomorrow, and I would really, truly, appreciate a little help with this whole obstruction matter. And if you are feeling real nice, I would love some advice on appeals, too. In college I always remember the coach yelling to the catcher to make a defensive appeal. But today someone told me to just walk out and start talking to the ump. Either way, would I go out there asking for an appeal, or is there a specific way (or specific wording) when making appeals? I have the rule book but without the case books to go along with them it seems hard to follow. I was a certified ump for 1 year; too bad I didn't ump that summer b/c I was a player of the game during the same time.

Will someone just help a new coach out? Obstruction and appeals, please.

Thank you very much to anyone that responds!
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

4B,
Lots of question. Let's see about getting you some answers.

When the fielder does not have the ball, the runner has the absolute right to get to & beyond a base in whatever manner she chooses. If the fielder does not yeild, that probably is obstruction.

With your F5 who "My third baseman kind of got in the base path during a rundown, but clearly didn’t touch the runner" No touch is needed. If your F5 got in the way - in any way the runner - that is obstruction.

Let me go back to the definition of obstruction - "Obstruction is the act of the defensive team that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball of that impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is fielding a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal."

So, look at the definition, then go back and look at your plays and rethink this - was that obstruction?

Obstruction is not an appeal play. We see it, we call it. If you need a brief explanation of why an umpire did or did not make some call, get timeout and come on out so we can talk.

As for other appeals, in high school ball - you are allowed to make the appeal yourself, from the bench.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I think some of this needs clarification or expansion.

"runner has the absolute right to get to & beyond a base in whatever manner she chooses"
as long as "any manner" does not include intentional contact or something that is illegal interference.

"covering second on a wild throw (going for the ball)"
"not being able to block a bag/plate before you have the ball "
"got in the way - in any way the runner - that is obstruction"
only if getting "in the way" actually impeded the runner (caused a change of direction, speed or stance)

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 07:55am.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Beemer
I totally understand not being able to block a bag/plate before you have the ball (to me "blocking" is like an outfielder taking a knee, but in the IN in front of a bag b4 u have the ball in your possession (from first hand experience, (a huge black-eye w/ seam marks on my face and weak eye, and no obstruction call was ever made!!??) but not letting a player, especially a SS strattle a bag, or even stand near the bag before she has the ball... It just seems like the girls are getting the game taken away from them, while the boys continue as is...
Well, Coach, this statement shows that you do not really understand. The runner owns the base path. The ONLY two things which can legally take the base path away from a runner is a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or a defender in possession of the ball. A player can stand anywhere they please as long as their presence does not impede the runner.

When you mention the "boys", I assume you are comparing the games of softball and baseball. Different field, equipment, mechanics, philosophies and rules. You are really going to need to be able to separate the two in your mind if you want to develop you skills as a softball coach.

BTW, straddling a base is a terrible mechanic for receiving a ball.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

All I can add to that is that even in baseball you are slowly seeing the various rules makers gravitate more and more toward what softball already has in place. In fact, in most games , the whole "about to receive" language is gone in baseball as well, and it's called pretty much the same way as ASA or FED softball (although the award can be different - and is actually MORE severe than softball).
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
4B,
Lots of question. Let's see about getting you some answers.

When the fielder does not have the ball, the runner has the absolute right to get to & beyond a base in whatever manner she chooses. If the fielder does not yeild, that probably is obstruction.

With your F5 who "My third baseman kind of got in the base path during a rundown, but clearly didn’t touch the runner" No touch is needed. If your F5 got in the way - in any way the runner - that is obstruction.

Let me go back to the definition of obstruction - "Obstruction is the act of the defensive team that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball of that impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is fielding a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal."

So, look at the definition, then go back and look at your plays and rethink this - was that obstruction?

Obstruction is not an appeal play. We see it, we call it. If you need a brief explanation of why an umpire did or did not make some call, get timeout and come on out so we can talk.

As for other appeals, in high school ball - you are allowed to make the appeal yourself, from the bench.
Hey Steve,

Here's a non-call I made in an 8/under coach-pitch game last night. First girl hits a single. The next batter comes up. The fielder playing 2nd base was playing about a foot from being in the direct base line between 1st and 2nd. A fairly slow roller is hit towards her. She steps a foot forward into the direct base line and stops there waiting for the ball to come to her. The ball has just rolled past the pitcher. At that time the runner is at least 12 feet from the 2nd basegirl. As she gets closer she changes her direction to go around the fielder when the ball hits her foot. They fielder was exactly behind her standing in the base line with her glove ready to catch the roller just as the ball hit the runners foot. Should I have called the runner out? If the fielder didn't come forward the first step, or if she continued to come forward a couple more steps the runner would not have had to change her direction to avoid running into her. Had the ball not hit the runners foot would I have been justified in calling OBS in this case? I don't think so, but would like some umpires to help me out here. What constitues fielding a ball. Are fielders allowed to get in, and stay in, a runners way when it is not necessary? IOW's is a fielder allowed to enter and stay in the base line when she could clearly have avoided doing that? I had just talked to the coaches in pre-game about keeping their kids out of the base lines and out of the runners pathway if they don't have the ball, or they are not fielding a ball. I made the non-call because I felt there was some fault on the fielder that caused the runner to be hit by the ball. Of course, a good runner would have gone behind her instead of in front of her. But the more I think of a situation like this, where a fielder goes into a direct line between bases then stops there and waits for the ball to come to her, the more I think I should have called the runner out by rule, anyway. Perhaps the fielder was thinking she wanted to field the ball in that area to have a better chance for a tag out or throw out at 2nd base. This could happen again and I want to be clear on it. BTW, one coach on defense said he understood my non-call because of the way his player stayed in the line, waiting for the ball. But I want to know what experienced umpires say about this situation, and if there are any gray areas of the obstruction, or interference rules. ..thanks, Al
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Let me just add a thought process. I conduct a lot of coaches clinics, and train youth umpires as well. I have used (and its seems to get through, especially to teens) a similarity to drivers training, and who has the "right of way".

Consider that you are driving in the middle lane of a super highway at 65 mph, with no cars in front of you. You have the right to continue to drive at your chosen speed, and if a car from another lane cuts in front of you, and forces you to change, hit your brakes, whatever, you were obstructed; no collision is necessary. Cars cannot just pull out and stay in the way because they may later want to be in that lane (straddling the bag or staying in the base path waiting for the ball); you have the right of way, and should be allowed to even speed up to 75 mph, if you choose. If there was a collision, it is the legal fault of the other car, because you have the right of way. The only exceptions are a police or emergency vehicle (fielder fielding a batted ball) who always have the right of way, and whom you must avoid at all costs (stop or go around), or cars already driving in your lane (fielders who already possess the ball).

Coach, it really is that basic and simple; the fielders have to stay out of the way completely, unless they possess the ball, or are fielding a batted ball. Anything else may be obstruction; and the calls won't cost you the win, the obstructions will cost you the win. The calls simply acknowledge what your players did; they will win or lose the game.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

The only thing I would add to the discussion on OBS is what I said in earlier posts... merely blocking the base or being in the base path without the ball is NOT obstruction, and the rules / POE writers did all umpires a disservice by making it seem so. Too many umpires are taking the thing literally. The runner MUST be impeded for there to be OBS.

Quote:
and appeals, please.
There are three types of appeals:
1) Live ball appeals
2) Dead ball appeals, and
3) Requesting the umpire to get help. (This one is not really an appeal, but all coaches, catchers, etc., call it an appeal, so...)

1) Live ball appeals. You know about this one already, but maybe not by this name. The typical live ball appeal is the defender tagging the base that a runner has left early on a caught fly or a missed base. This kind of appeal must be executed by the players (obviously) and while the ball is live (obviously).

2) Dead ball appeals. This covers missed bases, bases left early on a caught fly, batting out of order, etc. TIME must be called (or the ball must be dead for other reasons - such as going out of play). The ball does not need to be thrown anywhere for a dead ball appeal. All that is necessary is, after the ball is dead and the runners have completed their base running duties - note that in some circumstances, a runner can return to touch a base missed, etc., during the dead ball - the umpire be told what is being appealed ... "Blue, the runner left 1B early." In High School ball, the coach is allowed to make this appeal, as are the players.

3) Asking the umpire to go for help. The typical case here is a checked swing. The catcher, or the coach, may ask the plate umpire to go to his partner if the plate umpire rules no swing / ball. The plate umpire (in High School ball) is not REQUIRED to honor this, but is encouraged to do so. This can be done during a live ball, but the coach MUST stay in the dugout.

The coach may not approach the umpire during a live ball. Request TIME first, and wait for TIME to be granted before entering the field.

Last edited by Dakota; Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 10:14am.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Al... heck yeah you should have called interference when the ball hit the runner. She interfered with F4's ability to make a play.

Had the ball not hit her, NO, you cannot have OBS, as this is one of the cases where the fielder has the right to be where she is - fielding a batted ball. You COULD still have INT, even without contact with the ball.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Al... heck yeah you should have called interference when the ball hit the runner. She interfered with F4's ability to make a play.

Had the ball not hit her, NO, you cannot have OBS, as this is one of the cases where the fielder has the right to be where she is - fielding a batted ball. You COULD still have INT, even without contact with the ball.
Thank you sir,

Still learning, and just when I think I have the rules of interference and obstruction understood a play comes along that throws a little mud on the windshield. But now I realize it doesn't matter if the fielder appears to be intentionally trying to be in the baseline or basepath of a runner... as long as she is in the process of fielding a ball. Or of course, if she already has the ball. The game becomes more and more fun to umpire as I have a better and better understanding of situations that are not so clear cut. Although after thinking about it and reading the replies I see the play was a clear cut interference, and I should have called it. But thank God It didn't change the outcome of the game... Thank you mcrowder!...p.s. I am still smiling when I think of that "worst call" play you shared with us a while back... ..Al
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone. It seems like some of you are saying the whole 6 foot lane is the runners (so stay out), but it seems like others are saying that the runner needs to slow down/change directions/be impeded. for it to be OBST--now, that seems more like it. I will talk with the umps before the game today. I have a better feel for the whole thing, but it just seems that obstruction can be the result of most plays. I guess I will just try to use it for my advantage. I do give you upms much credit, though!
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone. It seems like some of you are saying the whole 6 foot lane is the runners (so stay out), but it seems like others are saying that the runner needs to slow down/change directions/be impeded. for it to be OBST--now, that seems more like it. I will talk with the umps before the game today. I have a better feel for the whole thing, but it just seems that obstruction can be the result of most plays. I guess I will just try to use it for my advantage. I do give you upms much credit, though!
Okay, you're getting there, but dump the 6' lane thing. It doesn't exist and can confuse some if used.

The only times a R/BR are restricted to any area is:

The BR in the 3' lane to avoid INT;
The R when avoiding a tag.

Other than those two instances, the offense can run anywhere they please.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure what 6-foot lane you're referring to.

All that matters is the basePATH (not the baseLINE) that the runner has chosen to run. If the fielder is (A) in that path, without the ball and (B) causes the runner to slow, change direction, etc (including, but not limited to, being contacted by that fielder), then you have OBS.