The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

We've had a number of issues come up in league play the past couple of weeks (every year, as the weather gets hotter, so do the coaches) that there's been quite a bit of disagreement and discussion about. Just wondering what everyone else thinks...

Would you...

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack (filled with other bats) as a reaction to an error by his players?

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack as a reaction to a call he disagreed with?

Eject a coach for bringing a rulebook on the field, wanting to "discuss" a rule interpretation?

Stop to answer a parent's question after the game? Would it matter how they approached you?

Ever not wear a chest protector?

Sara
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
We've had a number of issues come up in league play the past couple of weeks (every year, as the weather gets hotter, so do the coaches) that there's been quite a bit of disagreement and discussion about. Just wondering what everyone else thinks...

Would you...

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack (filled with other bats) as a reaction to an error by his players?

YES, Throwiwng a bat can cause a serious injury. There is never an excuse for this and it deserves an ejection. No warnings for this one.

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack as a reaction to a call he disagreed with?

YES

Eject a coach for bringing a rulebook on the field, wanting to "discuss" a rule interpretation?

Maybe, depends on how he/she approaches me and what he/she does after I tell him/her to put the book away.

Stop to answer a parent's question after the game? Would it matter how they approached you?

If they approached in a friendly way and had a rules question I would stop and answer them in a polite manor. If they wanted me to discuss a judgement call in the game, I would excuse myself and not discuss anything further with them.

I always wear my Honigs. Love it. After all, it is "MY" body that is being protected
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Would you...

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack (filled with other bats) as a reaction to an error by his players? Yes

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack as a reaction to a call he disagreed with?Yes

Eject a coach for bringing a rulebook on the field, wanting to "discuss" a rule interpretation?Bringing
it on the field is one thing, but trying to show umpire up is another. I would not allow it.

Stop to answer a parent's question after the game? Would it matter how they approached you?If I can answer
their question quickly and it is properly presented, I would answer.

Ever not wear a chest protector? Yes, many many years ago. Won't now, have had heart surgery.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack (filled with other bats) as a reaction to an error by his players? Most certainly, if he threw it. Maybe not if he tossed it hard to the rack. It's one of those HTBT's. But, if he threw it, he's gone.

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack as a reaction to a call he disagreed with? Absolutely. Not only for the USC, it's just dangerous to others near the rack.

Eject a coach for bringing a rulebook on the field, wanting to "discuss" a rule interpretation? Like Glen, he can bring it on the field, he just doesn't need to prove his point by opening it up. That's what protests are for.

Stop to answer a parent's question after the game? Would it matter how they approached you? Sure. I answer questions all the time. If they come up to me looking for a confrontation, it's time for me to go get some water.

Ever not wear a chest protector? I never wear one. There is a lot of debate on this board about this over the past years. It's just too darned hot down here. And I have the Honigs K-2. It's light, I just don't need any more equipment on than necessary. I'd rather have the bruise than melt down out there. The only concern I have about this is taking one off the collar bone and breaking it. I'm through for the season if that happens and I enjoy the game too much to want to sit out. But, then, again, to me, it's too hot down here. It hit 105 just SW of Ft Worth today. That's almost uncomfortable!

[Edited by TexBlue on Jul 3rd, 2005 at 11:32 PM]
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Its not hotter than here in the desert, and most of us are smart enough to wear it anyway.....
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
Its not hotter than here in the desert, and most of us are smart enough to wear it anyway.....
As I said, a lot of debate on this in the last few yers. As far as who's smart enough to do what, I guess it's up to each umpire as to what amount of "intelligence" is used. I used to have one of the collar bone covers. I'm completely satisfied with the amunt of smarts I use on the field, and before going on the field. It's not some macho thing, I just made my choice. I'll have to live with it good or bad. No need in casting out decisions on others, just because they don't do something you do.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

My answers to:

a) Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack (filled with other bats) as a reaction to an error by his players?

b) Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack as a reaction to a call he disagreed with?

c) Eject a coach for bringing a rulebook on the field, wanting to "discuss" a rule interpretation?

d) Stop to answer a parent's question after the game? Would it matter how they approached you?

e) Ever not wear a chest protector?

_________

a) No (as long as it happens in his/her dugout)
b) No (as previous one)
c) No (as long as this is NOT a try to embarass the umpire)
d) After the game the only GOOD path is DIRECT from the field to the dressing room. Only well AFTER a shower and a certain amount of time, with NO uniform on, I allow myself to have a small conversation with parents or whoever. Before that I will reply with a gentle smile 'We can talk about this later on'. They can wait and you'll have time to think and relax...
e) No. No matter how hot and uncomfortable it is (and sure IT IS).

A.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF

Would you...

Probably not.
Quote:

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack as a reaction to a call he disagreed with??
See above.
Quote:

Eject a coach for bringing a rulebook on the field, wanting to "discuss" a rule interpretation??
No
Quote:

Stop to answer a parent's question after the game? Would it matter how they approached you??
No.
Quote:

Not when working FP

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Jul 5th, 2005 at 07:20 AM]
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
As I said, a lot of debate on this in the last few yers. As far as who's smart enough to do what, I guess it's up to each umpire as to what amount of "intelligence" is used. I used to have one of the collar bone covers. I'm completely satisfied with the amunt of smarts I use on the field, and before going on the field. It's not some macho thing, I just made my choice. I'll have to live with it good or bad. No need in casting out decisions on others, just because they don't do something you do.
You are correct Rick....I know a lot of guys that don't wear them here because
of the heat. They are not doing it as a "macho" thing, it is just the heat and
nautrally the humidity here that makes some want to shed some of the armour. As stated
I started wearing mine again after heart surgery.

But the damn thing is hot. (Honigs K2)
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry guys. I didnt mean to be an *** with that comment.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Sara:
My opinion:
A) No-unless it filtered onto the field
B) No-as above
C) No-unless the coach became a jack***
D)Yes-provided they approached me in a polite manner away from the field and "crowd"
E) No-(except for slow pitch)-my body parts need to go home with me in good shape
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA JO ball...

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
No, but I would warn him that there will be no throwning of equipment in anger.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
As above, unless he had already been warned for throwing bats because of his player's error!

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
No. But I would eject a coach for making on-field demonstrations to showup the umpire. The rule book is not necessarily an on-field demonstration.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
Yes, and yes. I have answered parents questions numerous times. We are fortunate here in that the vast, vast majority of our parents and coaches are well-behaved and respectful. Emotional? Sure! But, generally respectful.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
No.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Would you...

1-Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack (filled with other bats) as a reaction to an error by his players?

2-Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack as a reaction to a call he disagreed with?

3-Eject a coach for bringing a rulebook on the field, wanting to "discuss" a rule interpretation?

4-Stop to answer a parent's question after the game? Would it matter how they approached you?

5-Ever not wear a chest protector?

1-Maybe. Part would depend on the ages involved. In adult ball, I'd tend to let the players handle that off the field stuff. In kid's ball, that coach is history & should be dismissed from coaching.

2-Yes. That's directed at me or one of my partners & is not OK at any level.

3-Probably. If the coach immediately puts the book away when I tell him to, I'd probably let it go. If not, the purpose is to show up the umpiring crew - Bye. Disagree with the ruling, OK, time for a protest.

4-Yes, if approached in a non-aggressive manner. The other night, I even took the time to speak with a player I had ejected earlier - because the approach was done in a very non-aggressive manner.

5-No, that's going to lead to something that's not the kind of pain I like (grin).

Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF

Would you...

Probably not. I doubt I would be looking at the coach and see the full sequence, and I wouldn't want to eject without that full observation.

If I saw the whole sequence, and was sure that reaction was directed at me or my partner, yes. Otherwise, coach will certainly gain closer scrutiny, and will certainly be advised accordingly.

The rulebook in his possession is not an automatic ejection in my game. It may be in possession, but not open nor pointed to during a "discussion". Coach may refer to it after leaving the field, and I will give a few seconds after the "discussion" to enable a quick reference and decision to protest or not.

I do that all the time; certainly the demeanor makes a difference. But, when asked in a reasonable manner, I am always willing to help educate the parents and coaches. I am also the ASA Player Rep, so that adds a certain secondary responsibility to me to be an ambassador for ASA Softball, but this is a title I received because I have always attempted to be that ambassador, not a responsibility I accepted due to the title.

To turn that around, my personal decision is to not wear a chest protector. I own one, it is in my vehicle, but I choose to not wear it at this point. I am 52, have umpired fastpitch for more than 30 years, and still have never worn a chest protector in youth, NCAA, or even men's tournaments. I have never been given a bad evaluation on my plate game despite the advice of ASA NUS that I "can't" be effective without it, and I have umpired at many of the highest level tournaments (with Sunday assignments, I might add), including 2 18U Golds, Men's Masters 40&Over, and Men's A.

I make these statements, not to toot my horn, but to reflect that I believe it is fully possible to be a totally effective umpire at the highest levels of fastpitch and still make the choice to not wear a chest protector. I teach and preach to ALL new umpires to wear whatever it takes for them to stay still and call the pitches; I don't attempt to comvince anyone else that my personal choice is appropriate for them. For those who make the choice to wear one (obviously the vast majority), I fully respect your decision. To those who insist to judge others by their decisons, too bad; it is, and remains my decision.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
My answers basically match Steve M